collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Press-ing sideways  (Read 1659 times)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.

Offline frank

• GM : 29.01.2025
Re: Press-ing sideways
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 12:39:52 AM »
I agree that Davis needs a rest. He's either tired or has lost confidence, or both. Or perhaps it's that strong, experienced central defenders like Millwall's are outmuscling him. But just because there's no one else who can play that role doesn't mean that he can't be rested. I seem to remember that some seasons ago Everton played for several months without a big central striker but still scored goals and won matches. It must be possible to change our formation, perhaps using Adomah centrally and bringing in Grealish and O'Hare. If you haven't got a tall striker on the pitch, stop booting the ball up the middle.
Davis will come again, I'm sure of that, but give him a rest now.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 02:51:46 AM »
Play with no striker?  A Del Bosque special from Bruce? Gerrin! Liquid football and everyones an attacker. Lets have it then! :)

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 07:57:53 AM »
I thought Kodjia was out for the season?

Anyway, if we're going to give Davies a rest (and I agree, he needs it) then I'd be tempted to stick Samba up there (if Terry's fit). He's the closest thing to a like for like replacement and could at least hold the ball up.

And whilst Hogan's the better striker Bruce has demonstrated a complete unwillingness to play to his strengths so there's no point playing him.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 09:37:53 AM »
Things do need freshening up. Would love to see Hourihane pushed further forward, Grealish needs to start next weekend too.

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 10:19:57 AM »
Agree Keinan needs a rest, but the 2 goals he's scored this season have been from headers, which is one of his strengths and can anybody remember the last time he was supplied with a decent cross into the box. Our crossing or lack of it has been abysmal for most of the season, Saturdays match was a good example.

Also agree Jack must start at Derby, our best quality midfielder, plus Callum should get some game time, could not believe he was even not the bench on Saturday.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 10:34:30 AM »
Another good read Dave.

Offline Boz

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 09:05:18 AM »
Good summing up Dave. I fear Villa will dwindle out of the promotion places as the season progresses while Bruce's cautious approach continues.
I presume we will not have much scope to bring in new players if we are still under a fair play ruling.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal