collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:36:44 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:32:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Date of your first visit to Villa Park  (Read 17358 times)

Offline Pat McMahon

Re: Date of your first visit to Villa Park
« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2018, 07:00:01 PM »
27 January 1968 I think - lost 1-0 at home to Rotherham in the cup. My dad put me on his shoulders and got me in for free in the Trinity Road enclosure as was the way n those days.

You got me searching the records Pat. As mentioned earlier in the thread this was my first game also and I have little recollection of the football but loads about the ground and crowd! Anyway the date was 17th Feb 1968 .It was the 4th round of the FA Cup. Tommy Doc was their manager at the time (something else I had never linked before) so I guess Brian Tyler was playing for them. We lost to a goal five minutes from time scored at the Holte End by Jim Storrie. I stood at the front of the Holte in line with the goal post so must have had a close up view of my first live Villa disappointment! By contrast nearly a quarter of a century later I took my eldest son to his first ever game,  stood in exactly the same spot and Cyrille Regis scored for us at the Holte End within a minute- my lad thought it was always going to be like that!

Crikey just realised -it's 50 years up in a few weeks!!!!

Cheers GB., I didn't know the date. Like you I don't recall the football but being on my dad's shoulders at the back under the roof, the noise and the smells. I also recall a really friendly copper asking if i was enjoying it.

I have been a Holte Ender since the mid 70s but adored that walk into the Trinity Road car park  and under the main staircase as a nipper, even when they put seats in the enclosure. It was like entering Santa's grotto. Knocking the old Holte down was very sad but the day the Trinity was destroyed was the day that the real Villa Park disappeared for me. The Holte was the largest end in England and fantastic on its day, but the Trinity was unique in its beauty.

Offline IAmTheOneIanOlney

« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2018, 12:31:02 AM »
I think I may have been at a Spink testimonial but not as early as that. Maybe he had two?
He definitely had one around 88/89. I remember the programme had Spink and, for some reason, Jimmy Greaves in Villa kits on the front cover.

Offline SirSteveUK

« Reply #92 on: January 13, 2018, 02:12:40 AM »
First Cardiff City December 1959 as a nine year old taken there by a Welsh Supporting  Villa Fan and neighbor Billy Hodges. I remember it being cold and fogey and Gerry Hitchens scoring.  Was on the Witton End ,and if Memory serves me well the 2 goals were scored at the holte end.  I have only been to one game this season Hull City at home  moved to Australia in August hope to get back to Villa Park in the future ,it's been a roller coaster ride ,when we get it right the pleasure it brings is immense UTV

SNAP - same match - I was 10 - was taken by my Dad - who wasn't ? - and he told me to go down the front and peer through the railings at the Witton End. The things you remember  - stepping back from the railings when a player came to collect the ball - they were giants in my eyes.     

And now we are half a world away from each other....LOL                                       

Offline Comrade Blitz

• GM : 25.05.2019
« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2018, 02:25:31 AM »
March 1997.

0-0 v West Ham.

Snap! Jon Penlington (of the old mailing list) arranged for a welcome to be read for me at half time.

Offline Perthvillan

• GM : 25.08.2023
« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2018, 11:38:24 AM »
Good stuff Pat and GB, I was also at that Rotherham FACup tie in February 1968.
It was my first real disappointment being a Villa fan.
My first game at VP had been earlier that 67/68 season against Carlisle United (4/11/67) as a nine year old with my Dad and brother.
Tommy Mitchinson got the only goal that day in the second half.
Apart from the Saturday morning matinee at the local cinema there wasn't a lot to get excited about back then.
Being in the crowd on the Holte and those brilliant claret and blue shirts under the floodlights got me hooked.

Offline appyarryampton

• GM : 24.01.2016
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2018, 03:29:52 PM »
AV 5 Ipswich Town 2 on 4th Sept. 1976 - Andy Gray hat-trick. Finally at the age of 10 after asking my Dad for years, he got a friend of his (Len RIP) to take me. Sat in the Trinity Road enclosure and was totally hooked. Len took me to most home games over the next few years, great memories and a great season ( Fortunately we sat upstairs in the Trinity for the Glasgow Rangers game )!

Offline Tucson Villain

• GM : 21.01.2022
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2018, 03:33:55 PM »
AV 5 Ipswich Town 2 on 4th Sept. 1976 - Andy Gray hat-trick. Finally at the age of 10 after asking my Dad for years, he got a friend of his (Len RIP) to take me. Sat in the Trinity Road enclosure and was totally hooked. Len took me to most home games over the next few years, great memories and a great season ( Fortunately we sat upstairs in the Trinity for the Glasgow Rangers game )!

This was my first game too. A great way to start.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2018, 02:26:13 PM »

This was my first game too. A great way to start.

One of our best performances that season and an all-round wonderful game. We went top that day I think for the first time in decades.

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2018, 02:31:29 PM »
12 Apr 1971 Barnsley 0-0. Obviously I was hooked after that.

Next one Santos February 21, 1972. Marginally better.

Offline Bernie

• king of celebrity deathwatch
  • GM : 30.01.2025
« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2018, 04:36:15 PM »
v Everton , won 3-2. 11 December 1965. I remembered the opposition, score and year, had to google the date -https://www.11v11.com/matches/aston-villa-v-everton-11-december-1965-78607/

Offline anton hillman

« Reply #100 on: January 22, 2018, 09:48:55 PM »
22nd of April 1967. Villa 0 Burnley 1

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #101 on: February 15, 2018, 01:17:24 PM »
8 Sept 1990 v Coventry City - won 2-1 with goals from Platt and Cascarino.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2018, 02:44:24 PM »

I remember that. I was nineteen and in an apartment in Lanzarote on my first proper holiday with a girl with my first proper girlfriend in my first proper 'grown up' relationship.

It wasn't nearly as much fun as my previous holiday in Paignton in my old mans caravanette with four mates.

Although admittedly the sex was better. ;D

Online Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #103 on: February 15, 2018, 02:58:21 PM »

I remember that. I was nineteen and in an apartment in Lanzarote on my first proper holiday with a girl with my first proper girlfriend in my first proper 'grown up' relationship.

It wasn't nearly as much fun as my previous holiday in Paignton in my old mans caravanette with four mates.

Although admittedly the sex was better. ;D

Each to their own.

Offline berneboy

• John 3:16
« Reply #104 on: February 15, 2018, 03:09:59 PM »
I've been looking through the old results but can't really be sure about my first match. I specifically remember at the age of ten watching Villa beat Coventry in the FA Cup third round. It was pouring down and it's my only spoiled programme as it was so wet.

I wish I could remember my first game. I used to watch the reserved at lot as a youngster.

Aston Villa v Coventry City, 09 January 1965
Score   3-0 to Aston Villa
Competition   FA Cup 3rd round
Venue   Villa Park
Attendance   47,656

Aston Villa 3 Coventry City 0
Goals:
Tony Hateley         G
Tony Hateley         G
Johnny MacLeod         G

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal