collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:19:57 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:19:45 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:05:29 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Date of your first visit to Villa Park  (Read 17368 times)

Offline jcsutv

Re: Date of your first visit to Villa Park
« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2017, 09:09:32 PM »
27th December 1966 against Sunderland. We won 2-1 after going behind, with goals from a Lew Chatterley penalty and right back Keith Bradley. I went with my Dad and we stood in the Lower Trinity.

We had played them the day before at Roker Park as was the custom at Christmas back then.

That's cool. I used to work with Lew Chatterleys nephew and Keith Bradley's grandson.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2017, 11:24:31 PM »
March 1997.

0-0 v West Ham.

Offline littleoldme

« Reply #77 on: January 01, 2018, 08:16:11 PM »
16th April, 1966, Villa 2 Burnley 1, after going 1-0 down after 3 minutes. Hateley and Woosnam the scorers.
Was my first full game too,watched a few reserve games prior to that,wow,i was 11 years of age then,the same age my eldest grandson is now,though he beat me to a game at Villa Park by a couple of years,he's a good lad.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2018, 12:04:10 PM »
First visit for a game was 21st January 1996 (I had visited the ground the summer before when we were in birmingham), Villa v Spurs.

McGrath and Yorke for villa, Ruel Fox for them. The game was moved to a Sunday after we had booked our flights, so after the game we had a seriously scramble to make the airport on time, only for our flight to be delayed for around 4 hours. Group of us kids ended up kicking a ball around a practically deserted Birmingham international to pass the time.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2018, 05:01:51 AM »
First visit for a game was 21st January 1996 (I had visited the ground the summer before when we were in birmingham), Villa v Spurs.

McGrath and Yorke for villa, Ruel Fox for them. The game was moved to a Sunday after we had booked our flights, so after the game we had a seriously scramble to make the airport on time, only for our flight to be delayed for around 4 hours. Group of us kids ended up kicking a ball around a practically deserted Birmingham international to pass the time.

That was a great game. Yorke's winner was superb. I always remember Martin Tyler commenting in the second half on the volume of the home support which "reminded us what a truly big club Aston Villa are." Always remember McGrath's delight at scoring - his first in years - and Savo missing a couple. Great match.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2018, 05:28:34 AM »
Against QPR on 14th August 1993, just before my 11th birthday. Was a cracker.

Won 4-1, Dalian with a double, Saunders and Staunton scored for us. I think Ferdinand for them. I remember being so sad that we had conceded a goal when they scored.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 05:31:07 AM by Axl Rose »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2018, 08:45:21 AM »
Friday, August 19th 1988 for a double-header for Allan Evans' testimonial.

1982 European Cup Winning Team beat another Villa Old Stars Team 1-0 and then the current Villa side beat Walsall 4-2. Both had been promoted the previous season.

Offline PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2018, 11:17:54 AM »
Can't remember my first ever visit to Villa Park, all i know it was 61/61 season and i think the game may have been Forest, in those does i was reliant
on my mates dad taking us but would do about half the home games for next 2 or 3 seasons becoming a real regular week in week out from 67/68 bought my first standing season ticket
around 71/72 then my first seat ST for the opening of the North Stand, basically had a ST since 71/72, and can probably count home games missed over that time on 2 hands, until 2 years ago it would have
been one hand but as age takes its toll they become a little more frequent unfortunately.
I now sit in Lower Witton (Doug's) having moved from upper due to inability to climb stairs.
I wouldn't change a thing about my time watching our fantastic club, would have liked an FA Cup win, i was alive in 57 but don't remember any of it. The trials and tribulations over the last few years
are just that and we have to fight to overcome them, and we will. I have been all over Europe watching Villa which in terms of Europe now have to resort to pre-season tours seeing places i probably wouldn't get opportunity, my walking stick and i have had some great trips of late Duisburg (Dusseldorf) and St Nazaire were great trips as was Peace Cup.
Have managed to bring three sons into the Villa family and am now working on two grandsons....i won't fail.

Anyone on here who feels their support is wavering...then think again.....you ain't got a clue as in Aston Villa FC you have the greatest club that has ever been it gets emotional
following our club and the road gets very bumpy. In terms of on the pitch i'm loving the Championship it has got me motivated once again, away games are now the norm, missed Wolves(Wedding) Burton (car broke down) and recently Middlesbrough (bad planning, my grandsons bDay).
Yes we need to get back to PL i accept that and i hope it's this season, then i will retire myself from away games i think in last 3 years went to one, baggies which don't really count.

Repeat wonderful,wonderful times had over the many years and i hope for a few more yet.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2018, 12:28:52 PM »
Finally got my answer, had to contact my mate's Dad from way back who used to take us to the match from Polesworth.
He reckons it was against Bristol City in 1973, the first time I professed to be a Villa fan rather than (forgive me for the folly of youth) a West Brom fan (look, my Dad is a Baggie, I became a Villa fan due to peer pressure, the fact that I would actually be able to go to games with my mate and partially to annoy my Dad).
So a quick internet search shows it to be:

Sat 20th Oct 1973   Aston Villa 2-2    Bristol City

My first ever live football match was Tamworth v Shepshed Dynamo in 1971

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2018, 08:06:53 PM »
27 January 1968 I think - lost 1-0 at home to Rotherham in the cup. My dad put me on his shoulders and got me in for free in the Trinity Road enclosure as was the way n those days. I wan't sure if it was a 1-0 home win v Middlesbrough but it appears that was November 1968. This was notable as my first win, having seen us lose to Bristol City and QPR at the end of the previous season.

I have a vague, perhaps fake, memory of being in the Trinity upper for a 6-2 home defeat by Chelsea in 1966. My dad died years ago so no way of checking if that is genuine or not. I wold only have been 3 so assume it is not real.

My mom used to go until she was 7 months pregnant carrying me so I would have been at a few games in the 1962-63 season for free!

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2018, 08:30:12 PM »
First Cardiff City December 1959 as a nine year old taken there by a Welsh Supporting  Villa Fan and neighbor Billy Hodges. I remember it being cold and fogey and Gerry Hitchens scoring.  Was on the Witton End ,and if Memory serves me well the 2 goals were scored at the holte end.  I have only been to one game this season Hull City at home  moved to Australia in August hope to get back to Villa Park in the future ,it's been a roller coaster ride ,when we get it right the pleasure it brings is immense UTV

Offline Godfrey Brian

« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2018, 08:01:44 PM »
27 January 1968 I think - lost 1-0 at home to Rotherham in the cup. My dad put me on his shoulders and got me in for free in the Trinity Road enclosure as was the way n those days.

You got me searching the records Pat. As mentioned earlier in the thread this was my first game also and I have little recollection of the football but loads about the ground and crowd! Anyway the date was 17th Feb 1968 .It was the 4th round of the FA Cup. Tommy Doc was their manager at the time (something else I had never linked before) so I guess Brian Tyler was playing for them. We lost to a goal five minutes from time scored at the Holte End by Jim Storrie. I stood at the front of the Holte in line with the goal post so must have had a close up view of my first live Villa disappointment! By contrast nearly a quarter of a century later I took my eldest son to his first ever game,  stood in exactly the same spot and Cyrille Regis scored for us at the Holte End within a minute- my lad thought it was always going to be like that!

Crikey just realised -it's 50 years up in a few weeks!!!!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 01:49:34 AM by Godfrey Brian »

Offline Damo70

« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2018, 02:38:20 PM »
Friday, August 19th 1988 for a double-header for Allan Evans' testimonial.

1982 European Cup Winning Team beat another Villa Old Stars Team 1-0 and then the current Villa side beat Walsall 4-2. Both had been promoted the previous season.

I was at that game but had forgotten about it until your post. Didn't Spink have his testimonial around the same time? I know I met him at his testimonial Q&A forum (I think it was Sutton Coldfield town hall with Tom Ross and George Gavin hosting). Terry Weir kindly sent me some photos he took that night of myself and Nev with the likes of Spink, Allan Evans, Andy Gray, Garry Pendrey, and SGT. We also briefly met a very frail Eric Houghton, but he wasn't really up to meet and greets or pictures by then sadly. That was in Jan or Feb 1988 if I remember right.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 02:40:41 PM by Damo70 »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2018, 03:39:09 PM »
I think I may have been at a Spink testimonial but not as early as that. Maybe he had two?

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2018, 03:45:11 PM »

December 18th 1982

Villa 2 Liverpool 4

https://youtu.be/EhluyS8ptHc

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal