collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bullying  (Read 9242 times)

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
Bullying
« on: December 07, 2017, 11:12:03 AM »

Online Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
Re: Bullying
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 11:15:32 AM »
Shameful.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 11:19:41 AM »
some of our fans are also ignorant see below - why would you take the michael out of a disabled fan.  Imagine the furore if it was them taking the piss of a villa fan

www.facebook.com/groups/131653430526891/permalink/536065226752374/?comment_id=536074713418092

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 11:23:51 AM »
As ever, it's difficult to draw conclusons from this without knowing all the facts. Conn is a highly respected football journalist and so I suspect that he has done his homework. However it is not clear how many cases of bullying have been identified at Villa, why MacDonald has remained when others have left and what else might have taken place behind the scenes to rectify problems.
Undoubtedly, one person's view of bullying might be another person's interpretation of 'tough love'.
Working in academies is very hard, and many of the coaches and other staff members are ill-equipped to deal with the interpersonal challenges. I speak as someone whose son works in the Leeds academy: his experience suggests that staff are often not hired on overall suitability but because they know someone in a positon of authority (they are often ex-players) ...

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 11:27:58 AM »
As ever, it's difficult to draw conclusons from this without knowing all the facts. Conn is a highly respected football journalist and so I suspect that he has done his homework. However it is not clear how many cases of bullying have been identified at Villa, why MacDonald has remained when others have left and what else might have taken place behind the scenes to rectify problems.
Undoubtedly, one person's view of bullying might be another person's interpretation of 'tough love'.
Working in academies is very hard, and many of the coaches and other staff members are ill-equipped to deal with the interpersonal challenges. I speak as someone whose son works in the Leeds academy: his experience suggests that staff are often not hired on overall suitability but because they know someone in a position of authority (they are often ex-players)...

Very true.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 11:41:13 AM »
I know someone who works with rugby academies (he was at Worcester, Gloucester and most recently Exeter for a few years and is now working with the RFU in what amounts to an academy compliance role) and one of the things he pushed for in all his roles was for the academy coaches to at least take an interest in teaching (and specifically the mentoring side) because the club plays such a big part in the lives of the players that they need to be able to offer similar support to a school, when he was at Gloucester most of the youth team staff there were fully qualified teachers but I don't know if that is reflected at other clubs, seems like a sensible idea though.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 01:02:52 PM »
Working in academies is very hard, and many of the coaches and other staff members are ill-equipped to deal with the interpersonal challenges. I speak as someone whose son works in the Leeds academy: his experience suggests that staff are often not hired on overall suitability but because they know someone in a positon of authority (they are often ex-players) ...

Nope. Bullying is easy to define, and there’s no excuse for it in any walk of life.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 01:04:55 PM »
Yep that's it, 'tough love' is just an excuse in that context. If someone feels it's bullying, it's bullying.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 01:10:01 PM »
Lee Hendrie was on sky for the Leeds game and he said that Kevin Mcdonald drives them all very hard.  New era, different culture I guess.

Offline Risso

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 01:17:02 PM »
Nothing I’ve ever read about MacDonald does anything to dispel the opinion I have that he’s a massive twat.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 01:25:13 PM »

Nope. Bullying is easy to define, and there’s no excuse for it in any walk of life.
If it were easy, clubs would be able much more effectively than they currently do to set well-defined standards and hold people accountable to them.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 01:26:27 PM »
Did the details ever emerge about the dismissal of Culverhouse?
That was for alleged bullying behaviour against one of our first team irregulars I believe - who has subsequently moved on

Now as someone who was tormented by a bully during my early teen years there is an instant hatred for anyone deemed to be a bully - but in todays world a hard taskmaster could easily be misconstrued as being a bully

Would of course like to know some of the specifics
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 01:28:15 PM by Hookeysmith »

Offline SO Villa

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 01:34:09 PM »
Nothing I’ve ever read about MacDonald does anything to dispel the opinion I have that he’s a massive twat.

MacDonald should've gone after the Tottenham debacle.

Offline Risso

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 01:45:22 PM »

MacDonald should've gone after the Tottenham debacle.

Agreed.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 01:46:29 PM »
What a wonderful recruitment advertisement for our Academy.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal