collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:35:13 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:35:13 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 01:31:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Nev
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:17:42 PM]

Re: Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 01:05:47 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:03:06 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: PyeongChang 2018  (Read 15151 times)

Offline Comrade Blitz

• GM : 25.05.2019
PyeongChang 2018
« on: December 05, 2017, 12:14:35 PM »
65 days to go.

The World Cup Biathlon season started this past week and there appear to be loads of Russians now on the (South) Korean biathlon team.

There's more as well:
"Don't be surprised when a blond haired, blue-eyed Westerner races for South Korea at the upcoming Winter Olympics."

http://www.korea.net/NewsFocus/Sports/view?articleId=143973

Let the shite begin!

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: PyeongChang 2018
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 07:03:18 PM »
Russia banned.

Quite like the Winter Olympics, hopefully some of the better events will be at the weekend as the timezone isn't great for us.

Intend to watch the skellington and curling in the hope of seeing some British medallists and the bobsleigh, ski cross and snowboard cross and speedskating for general interest (not sure if we are likely to win medals in any of this). Won't be watching the ice skating as it is shite.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 07:52:59 PM »
Russia banned.

Quite like the Winter Olympics, hopefully some of the better events will be at the weekend as the timezone isn't great for us.

Intend to watch the skellington and curling in the hope of seeing some British medallists and the bobsleigh, ski cross and snowboard cross and speedskating for general interest (not sure if we are likely to win medals in any of this). Won't be watching the ice skating as it is shite.

Speedskating (women) is one of our better medal chances with Elise Christie, she'll be very disappointed if she's not in the mix for a medal I'd think.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 05:28:24 PM »
Surprisingly, Putin will not block eligible athletes competing under the Olympic flag

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 05:31:13 PM »
Russia banned.

I'll watch the hurtlingdownandaroundiceandsnow events and the hockey but will avoid the ice skating (non-speed variety). As I've covered before, I don't think that such events should be in the main Olympics. There should be a separate Competitive Arts Olympics for that kind on thing.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 10:33:27 PM »
Russia banned.

Speedskating (women) is one of our better medal chances with Elise Christie, she'll be very disappointed if she's not in the mix for a medal I'd think.

Ah, I'd forgotten about her. I don't know much about the sport but she seemed to be very harshly treated last time, was getting disqualified for nothing in every event she entered.

Offline Comrade Blitz

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 12:05:17 PM »
Won't be watching the ice skating as it is shite.

but will avoid the ice skating (non-speed variety). As I've covered before, I don't think that such events should be in the main Olympics. There should be a separate Competitive Arts Olympics for that kind on thing.

Absolutely. Any "sport" that requires judges casting scores to determine the winner can fuck off. I think I read something once where someone said that the Olympic motto should be "Faster, Further, More"

Offline paul_e

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 12:21:23 PM »
Won't be watching the ice skating as it is shite.

but will avoid the ice skating (non-speed variety). As I've covered before, I don't think that such events should be in the main Olympics. There should be a separate Competitive Arts Olympics for that kind on thing.

Absolutely. Any "sport" that requires judges casting scores to determine the winner can fuck off. I think I read something once where someone said that the Olympic motto should be "Faster, Further, More"

Boxing?

I completely disagree with the idea of removing them though, what would actually happen is that whatever event they shifted to would be viewed as lesser and people who have worked for years to get their chance would end up competing in an event that no one cared much about not get the chance to have their big stage.  To personalise it a little, the 2016 olympics would've been a lesser event for the exclusion of the truly exceptional Simone Biles who, in my opinion, was the biggest highlight of the entire thing.  Likewise Max Whitlock was one of the great successes of British sport last year and his absence would also have been detrimental for me.

I think keeping events like that in the games but moving towards ever more transparent judging is the right approach and that's exactly how it's been over the last decade or so.

Offline Comrade Blitz

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 12:26:50 PM »
Transparent judging? Bullshit.

Offline Comrade Blitz

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 12:44:57 PM »

In today's news:

"Russia ban adds to South Korea's Winter Olympics woes"

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/12/06/sport/south-korea-olympics-russia-intl/index.html

"British Olympians back IOC’s decision to ban Russia from Pyeongchang 2018"

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/dec/06/british-olympians-back-ioc-decision-russia-winter-olympics

Offline paul_e

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 02:16:27 PM »

I said moving towards, which is undeniably true if you compare the 2016 olympics to, for example, Barcelona.  You also didn't answer me on whether you included Boxing, what about the various wrestling and martial arts competitions, they're all judged (with criteria to look for) so do they go as well?

Offline Comrade Blitz

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 06:01:19 PM »

I said moving towards, which is undeniably true if you compare the 2016 olympics to, for example, Barcelona.  You also didn't answer me on whether you included Boxing, what about the various wrestling and martial arts competitions, they're all judged (with criteria to look for) so do they go as well?

They are all summer sports. We'll have to discuss this in the Tokyo 2020 thread when it comes on board. This is a Winter Olympics thread for Winter Olympics people.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 06:19:01 PM »

They are all summer sports. We'll have to discuss this in the Tokyo 2020 thread when it comes on board. This is a Winter Olympics thread for Winter Olympics people.

ok you said any sport and are now changing stance but that's ok.  Ski-jump?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 08:33:29 PM »
Russia banned.

Ah, I'd forgotten about her. I don't know much about the sport but she seemed to be very harshly treated last time, was getting disqualified for nothing in every event she entered.

They like their speed skating in The Netherlands.  Their sportsperson of the year has been a speedskater 18 times since 1959 for the blokes, and 8 times for the women.  (Not all the same person, obvs!)

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 11:08:49 AM »
Ski jumping and boxing/martial arts are the two main problems in my "Competitive Arts Olympics" plan. I think that I did an event by event analysis on here for Summer 2012 or maybe even 2008

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal