collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The greatest game you have ever been at (Villa only)  (Read 12099 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: The greatest game you have ever been at (Villa only)
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2017, 09:05:25 AM »
The Tranmere semi final home leg is one that still gives me goosebumps. Not the biggest game in our history by any stretch, but it had absolutely everything.

Also, shout out for Christmas 1989-90 when we beat Man U 3-0 and Arsenal 2-1 both at home, in the space of three days or so.

Best football I've ever seen at Villa Park was Juventus in 1983. What a truly special side that was.

Two great bits of skill - Sid at 1:54 and a breathtaking flick from Platini on 3:10

I was on the Holte that night. The Juventus side had Zoff, Gentile, Cabrini, Scirea, Tardelli and Rossi in their side. Six of the Italian team that started the 1982 World Cup final. Plus Bettaga who had previously won loads of Italy caps and Platini and Boniek who had both reached the semi finals in '82 with France and Poland.

I used to think Liverpool were the best team I ever saw at Villa Park when it came to pass and move football. Until the night I saw Spartak Moscow pass us off the park. Their movement was incredible, even if it did take a last gasp goal for them to beat us.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 09:07:17 AM by Damo70 »

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2017, 05:38:28 PM »
That Juventus side were the second best away side i've seen at VP, Spartak Moscow a couple of years later were the best.

Tranmere game wins it for me, the game itself was enough but it was also the last great day of the Holte, in fact of any big terrace in this country.

Offline Rico

« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2017, 08:09:32 AM »
I don't know if this game has been mentioned, but Bradford at Villa Park in our last promotion season was an incredible atmosphere. The Holte was rammed and the noise was deafening.

Offline E I Adio

• GM : 09.10.2020
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2017, 04:57:29 PM »
For me its Villa 2 Man Utd 1 November 1966. Utd running away with the 1st Division title, Best, Charlton, Law, Crerrand etc. Thier fans took over the Holte & drowned us out, expecting a cricket score win. Not so! We kicked off & scored thanks to Utd thiking they didn't need to defend as we were so poor. Then came the onslaught. Intense attack which some how Colin Withers & "Tulip" in particular kept at bay. Eventually they scored & the Utd fans started telling me how we were now to get the kicking we deserved for having the cheek to not be several goals behind. From the kick off Lew Chatterly (Ithink) went upfield & put the ball in the net! Utds fan were stunned into silence. Wave upon wave of thier attacks came to nothing & eventually we ran out winners. Great memory for me.

To this day, I'll never know how we got away with that one.
Yes that's a game I'll never forget and you're right it was Chatterley, who got the winner.

You are Lew Chatterley and I claim my £5.
Dec 3rd - and Tony Scott got the first

I'm not sure that I'd call this game the greatest that I've ever seen, but I've no doubt that it was the most extraordinary. Colin Withers is one of my all-time favourites, but I've no idea how he kept out the onslaught on that day. In the end, it was almost a siege with "shots in." I can clearly remember standing behind the goal on the Holte End watching Bobby Charlton firing wide from inside the penalty area on several occasions when it seemed that scoring was just a formality.
It felt as if the number of times we crossed the halfway line all afternoon could have been counted on the fingers of one hand.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2017, 05:32:00 PM »
EIA, I think I can tell you how many times we crossed the halfway line that day...twice!*  Outcome, two goals, the rest of the time it was the most one-sided football match I've ever seen.  As I said above, to this day I do not know how we got away with it. 

*Not really, but it wasn't much more.

Offline E I Adio

• GM : 09.10.2020
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2017, 06:10:03 PM »
EIA, I think I can tell you how many times we crossed the halfway line that day...twice!*  Outcome, two goals, the rest of the time it was the most one-sided football match I've ever seen.  As I said above, to this day I do not know how we got away with it. 

*Not really, but it wasn't much more.

I know, but the thing that has intrigued me the most was when Lew Chatterly "broke away" from our half and lumbered his way towards their goal only to score, much to everyone's joy and amazement. Lew was a good hearted centre half who had been seconded to play centre forward due to the lack of any options to fill that position.

Offline Lucky Eddie

« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2017, 07:03:46 PM »
Tranmere at home had everything; apart from the relief of Kevin Phillips winner over at their place.

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2017, 08:09:22 PM »
Some great memories, Rotterdam, Highbury, wembley a few times amongst that, the Liverpool game in 76/77 obviously. One game that always sticks in my mind though is when we beat Liverpool 2-0 in our championship winning season. That was the day I actually believed we could win the league.

Another I always think about is boxing day 1970, 2-0 v Shrewsbury. My first ever game at 7 and I had the bug straight away and knew I was going to follow my late Brother in following this club all my life

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2017, 05:31:06 PM »
Some great memories, Rotterdam, Highbury, wembley a few times amongst that, the Liverpool game in 76/77 obviously. One game that always sticks in my mind though is when we beat Liverpool 2-0 in our championship winning season. That was the day I actually believed we could win the league.

Another I always think about is boxing day 1970, 2-0 v Shrewsbury. My first ever game at 7 and I had the bug straight away and knew I was going to follow my late Brother in following this club all my life

Luton your not lance by any chance?

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2017, 06:03:43 PM »

Luton your not lance by any chance?

No, I aint lance mate

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal