collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The greatest game you have ever been at (Villa only)  (Read 12098 times)

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
Re: The greatest game you have ever been at (Villa only)
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2017, 01:14:43 PM »
For me its Villa 2 Man Utd 1 November 1966. Utd running away with the 1st Division title, Best, Charlton, Law, Crerrand etc. Thier fans took over the Holte & drowned us out, expecting a cricket score win. Not so! We kicked off & scored thanks to Utd thiking they didn't need to defend as we were so poor. Then came the onslaught. Intense attack which some how Colin Withers & "Tulip" in particular kept at bay. Eventually they scored & the Utd fans started telling me how we were now to get the kicking we deserved for having the cheek to not be several goals behind. From the kick off Lew Chatterly (Ithink) went upfield & put the ball in the net! Utds fan were stunned into silence. Wave upon wave of thier attacks came to nothing & eventually we ran out winners. Great memory for me.

To this day, I'll never know how we got away with that one.

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2017, 01:25:49 PM »
Tranmere, followed by the final and then Inter.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2017, 01:59:15 PM »
For pure theatre and drama away at Sheffield Wednesday in Big Ron's first game in charge having defected from Wednesday in the summer of 1991.  I cannot remember being more elated after a game.  Games are sometimes defined as the best due to their significance.  Others are down to the circumstances of how you won.  This one was definitely a case of the latter.  As was Tranmere.  I don't think days like these will ever be repeated due, primarily to the lack of atmosphere lost when standing went.

Offline Caribbeanvillan

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2017, 02:11:51 PM »
Tranmere 2nd Leg and the 1994 League Cup Final, Aston Villa 3 Manchester United 1.

Online Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2017, 02:59:39 PM »
For me its Villa 2 Man Utd 1 November 1966. Utd running away with the 1st Division title, Best, Charlton, Law, Crerrand etc. Thier fans took over the Holte & drowned us out, expecting a cricket score win. Not so! We kicked off & scored thanks to Utd thiking they didn't need to defend as we were so poor. Then came the onslaught. Intense attack which some how Colin Withers & "Tulip" in particular kept at bay. Eventually they scored & the Utd fans started telling me how we were now to get the kicking we deserved for having the cheek to not be several goals behind. From the kick off Lew Chatterly (Ithink) went upfield & put the ball in the net! Utds fan were stunned into silence. Wave upon wave of thier attacks came to nothing & eventually we ran out winners. Great memory for me.

Yes that's a game I'll never forget and you're right it was Chatterley, who got the winner.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2017, 05:29:28 PM »
Tranmere, followed by the final and then Inter.

Seconded for me too.

Online SteveN

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2017, 06:07:22 PM »

Yes that's a game I'll never forget and you're right it was Chatterley, who got the winner.

You are Lew Chatterley and I claim my £5.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2017, 06:28:00 PM »
Maybe not for the whole game but the Ashley Young late show at Everton takes some beating.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2017, 06:57:06 PM »
Derby 3-4 Villa. FA Cup 4th Round Feb '92.

The old Baseball Ground, evening kick off, 2 missed Penalties, a sending off, Yorke, Shilton and a big away following in the FA Cup.

Magic.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2017, 07:04:28 PM »
Off the top of my head and in order that they happened, the Anderlecht home leg, the final in Rotterdam, the Super Cup final second leg the following year, the return game with Small Heath at Villa Park that season with Shaw's late winner after they did us 3-0 at the sty on boxing day, 4-3 against Albion on the first day of the following season, beating BFR's United 3-0 on Six's debut, the last three games against Shrewsbury, Bradford and Swindon in '88, all three of the 13-0 triology against Small Heath, most games in the winter/spring of 1989/1990 (especially the win at Spurs and the last day at Everton), Milan 1990, BFR's first game at Hillsborough and the win at Spurs that season after being two down, Wembley 1994, the Kevin Phillips game at the sty, the Easter Sunday 3-1 Cahill game that helped send them down, the day we stuffed Sheffield United in front of the boys of '81/'82 and the Albion the and Sunderland  games at Villa Park under Lambert.

Oh, and winning about six nil in at Witney town in pre season 1991 when I not only saw Ivo Stas play for us he also scored (even if it should have been disallowed as it hit the side netting, squeezed under it and crept into the goal.

Edit - I have just remembered I wasn't at the game when Phillips got the winner at the sty, I watched it in the pub!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 07:06:29 PM by Damo70 »

Offline SirSteveUK

« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2017, 08:57:05 PM »

You are Lew Chatterley and I claim my £5.
Dec 3rd - and Tony Scott got the first

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2017, 10:17:44 PM »
The Tranmere semi final home leg is one that still gives me goosebumps. Not the biggest game in our history by any stretch, but it had absolutely everything.

Also, shout out for Christmas 1989-90 when we beat Man U 3-0 and Arsenal 2-1 both at home, in the space of three days or so.

Best football I've ever seen at Villa Park was Juventus in 1983. What a truly special side that was.

Two great bits of skill - Sid at 1:54 and a breathtaking flick from Platini on 3:10

Offline thick_mike

• GM : 26.02.2025
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2017, 11:26:14 PM »
My dad has seen all of the classic games down villa park since just after WWII, including the record attendance vs Derby and the 4-6 madness vs Man Utd. His favourite game was the Tranmere SF.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2017, 07:55:11 AM »
94 League Cup Final Villa 3 United 1, goals from Dalian and 2 from Deano. A United side that had Keane, Ince, Giggs, Hughes, Cantona and a certain Steve Bruce.

I had it in my mind that Cantona was suspended for that game. I think what confused me was that he had been sent off in the previous league game and I think Schmichael had been sent off in the one before that meaning Mad Les was in goal for them. I was sat behind the goal Dalian scored in with Cyrille Regis sitting near me.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2017, 07:58:18 AM »
Derby 3-4 Villa. FA Cup 4th Round Feb '92.

The old Baseball Ground, evening kick off, 2 missed Penalties, a sending off, Yorke, Shilton and a big away following in the FA Cup.

Magic.

It wasn't a replay so I think it was a night match because we had to replay our third round tie against Spurs? Fantastic atmosphere at the old Baseball Ground that night. A proper old style football ground. We had a decent view too as we were up in the seats as opposed to the lower standing part.

They showed the highlights on SKY a couple of years back.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal