collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Do you come from Aston?  (Read 6450 times)

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
Do you come from Aston?
« on: November 28, 2017, 08:02:47 PM »
Whilst not wishing to start a thread about whether it makes you a better supporter were you born or raised in Aston and if so where and what memories do you have.

I grew up in Pugh Rd, went to Manor Park Infants and KEGS in Frederick Road.

We used to play footie when we supposed to do cross country opposite the Trinity Road stand

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: Do you come from Aston?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 08:33:15 PM »
Whilst I was brought up in Nechells (Cato street) I spent most of my non school time including weekends with my school mates. Two of them. One lived  in Holte Road and the other in Witton Lane. We mainly played football against the old Witton Lane stand in the street. It was from here that my bond with Villa grew and got stronger and stronger.

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 09:32:08 AM »
My home was Billesley, near Kings Heath, and when I was young it was a mostly Villa area, all my mates at school were Villa apart from a few sad Bluenoses.

Offline Walmley_Villa

• GM : 21.08.2017
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 09:47:52 AM »
My Villa heritage is through both mom and dad's families - he grew up in Hockley where my grandad was a milkman for Unigate. Dad went to Handsworth Grammar, before his parents were moved to the newly built Lyndhurst Estate when the terraced houses were demolished. My mom's family (also Villa) grew up in Erdington before being relocated to Castle Vale (my grandad was an instrument technician on the Spitfires).
Interestingly something I found out at my dad's cousin funeral was that I am related a few times removed to the young lad in the Villa kit photographed at Wembley at the 57 Cup Final as below although I never knowingly met him (believe from Dave W that he is now deceased).

Online Dave Javu

• GM : 31.07.2019
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 09:59:36 AM »
My Mum was born in Priory Road (just off Aston Hall Road), parents were married at Aston Church and I went to KEGS Aston.

My Mum did slip up by giving birth to me down the road in Great Barr, however.

Offline andyaston

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 11:39:16 AM »
My Mom's side of the family came from Ladywood and Aston. In the 1950s they moved to more modern houses built in the South of the City in Bartley Green which is why I come across too many of that Blue lot who support Small Heath (it's about 50/50 here).

Offline bob rowe

• Benito's Headband
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 11:58:17 AM »
Mom & Dad both came from Witton & Kingstanding. Dad grew up in Witton, lived in Brantley Rd &  Wirely Rd. He spent hours remaniscing about kickabouts with Pongo Waring, saw all the 30s & 40s legends, Dorset, Houghton etc.

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 12:00:13 PM »
Born in Belfast, good & bad memories; schooled in Cliftonville & B.R.A.
Villa lurve from Uncle who lived in Holly Lane, Erdington; who took me to a place where 30 odd thousand screaming eejits were having fun and been addicted ever since.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 12:53:57 PM »
Mom & Dad both came from Witton & Kingstanding. Dad grew up in Witton, lived in Brantley Rd &  Wirely Rd. He spent hours remaniscing about kickabouts with Pongo Waring, saw all the 30s & 40s legends, Dorset, Houghton etc.

Thats a coincidence Bob, my mom lived in Wyrley Road, Witton in the thirties

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 12:55:31 PM »
I had an uncle who lived in Salford. Sorry, wrong message board.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 01:12:36 PM »
My Villa heritage is through both mom and dad's families - he grew up in Hockley where my grandad was a milkman for Unigate. Dad went to Handsworth Grammar, before his parents were moved to the newly built Lyndhurst Estate when the terraced houses were demolished. My mom's family (also Villa) grew up in Erdington before being relocated to Castle Vale (my grandad was an instrument technician on the Spitfires).
Interestingly something I found out at my dad's cousin funeral was that I am related a few times removed to the young lad in the Villa kit photographed at Wembley at the 57 Cup Final as below although I never knowingly met him (believe from Dave W that he is now deceased).

Some nice little links here WV...I was born in Hockley too - Rodway Street, not far from Summer Lane...the Villa love is obvious from my user name, but Mum and Dad were Aston/Hockley... Uncle Frank was born in Aston and so were his three boys, two of whom played for The Villa...many years later I taught at Castle Vale and the head, Bill Barnett, was an ex-Spitfire pilot and encouraged the links with the airfield - the 3 houses were Spitfire, Hurricane and Gladiator...a few years after that I taught at Handsworth Grammar School for ten years and loved it and driving past Villa Park twice a day to and from my place of work even though I was going to be there for almost every home game!
As a family we're all over the place now but always Brummies and always Villa!
It's in the blood, always has been, always will be. VTID...and beyond!

Online itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 01:18:45 PM »
Endicott Road

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 10:44:35 PM »
My Mom grew up in Electric Avenue in the 1920s. She was a life long Villain but I doubt she was an Eddie Grant fan.

Offline eric woolban woolban

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2017, 06:52:59 PM »
My dad's formative years were at Ettington Road Aston before they moved to Great Barr.

Offline Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2017, 09:04:50 PM »
I like subject matters like this as it gives me the opportunity to once again brag about being born and raised ( for the first 7 years of my life (1957- 1964) in Villa Road just up from Villa Cross so technically speaking, in Handsworth. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal