collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Chinese Flag  (Read 13354 times)

Offline XXVilla

Re: Chinese Flag
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2017, 06:53:36 PM »
Zero democracy, global state sponsored hacking, espionage, near summary executions, detention without trial, repression of ethnic groups and religious freedom, human rights violations. Need I go on? Considering the outcry when John Terry signed, I’m surprised the moral majority on HandV aren’t extremely concerned.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2017, 06:54:28 PM »
Why would it bother anyone?

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2017, 07:13:18 PM »
Zero democracy, global state sponsored hacking, espionage, near summary executions, detention without trial, repression of ethnic groups and religious freedom, human rights violations. Need I go on? Considering the outcry when John Terry signed, I’m surprised the moral majority on HandV aren’t extremely concerned.

If that's your issue, surely the time to get upset is when the Chinese guy buys the club, not afterwards when he sticks his country's flag on the roof?

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2017, 07:18:24 PM »

If that's your issue, surely the time to get upset is when the Chinese guy buys the club, not afterwards when he sticks his country's flag on the roof?

Well not really. I can accept that the funding to buy Villa came via China through the global economy. Do any of us really know where our money comes from? Your bank or your investments? Your iPad or your clothing? I think that flying the flag of a murderous repressive regime however over Villa Park is beyond the pale.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2017, 07:23:48 PM »

Well not really. I can accept that the funding to buy Villa came via China through the global economy. Do any of us really know where our money comes from? Your bank or your investments? Your iPad or your clothing? I think that flying the flag of a murderous repressive regime however over Villa Park is beyond the pale.

I get where you are coming from but maybe this will help.

Dr.X is a businessman he has nothing to do with his government's actions. He is proud to be Chinese. Nothing wrong with that. Lots of Russians are patriots as well who have no love for Putin, the majority of USA citizens hate everything Trump and his voters stand for but love their country.

Sometimes you have to distinguish between the government and the country you know?

edit: Anyway not trying to belittle your concerns, just trying to hopefully help give you a way of looking at things so you dont ruin your enjoyment of Villa with the flag there. Hope it helps.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 07:28:13 PM by ciggiesnbeer »

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2017, 07:27:42 PM »

You are going to find the coming decades difficult to stomach then.

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2017, 07:31:33 PM »

Dr.X is a businessman he has nothing to do with his government's actions. He is proud to be Chinese. Nothing wrong with that. Lots of Russians are patriots as well who have no love for Putin, the majority of USA citizens hate everything Trump and his voters stand for but love their country.

Sometimes you have to distinguish between the government and the country you know?

Well that’s a convenient argument that tries to gloss over some very difficult questions. It still doesn’t make it any more palatable that the flag of a hostile and repressive regime flies over what we all would agree is a tolerant and dignified institution. For totalitarian regimes symbolism is everything.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2017, 07:35:31 PM »
Well that’s a convenient argument that tries to gloss over some very difficult questions. It still doesn’t make it any more palatable that the flag of a hostile and repressive regime flies over what we all would agree is a tolerant and dignified institution. For totalitarian regimes symbolism is everything.

Absolutely. What I am saying is the flag is staying. Most people dont have a problem with it. I respect the fact that you do. But you are going to have to find a world view that does indeed gloss over the difficult questions or have your enjoyment of Villa lessened.

The best tool I got for you as I said is our kid Tone loves his country and flys the flag. I suggest to you that you shouldnt read anything more than that into it.

It will drive you crazy if you dont.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2017, 07:41:26 PM »
I can't be bothered to deliver a webinar on the British Empire but look it up.

Online WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2017, 07:42:40 PM »

China has had a very different historical trajectory to our own. As the country that fought the opium wars with China, colonised the country and kept Hong Kong with no democracy until it was eventually handed back I think we should avoid the moral high ground. Over the past thirty years China has changed beyond recognition . 600 million people have been moved out of poverty - something not to be sniffed at. Now China is investing more than any other country in renewable energies and has invests in other countries rather than bombing them. Far from perfect of course but a country showing some advances in a troubled world. And Dr Tony's cool.

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2017, 07:43:12 PM »

Absolutely. What I am saying is the flag is staying. Most people dont have a problem with it. I respect the fact that you do. But you are going to have to find a world view that does indeed gloss over the difficult questions or have your enjoyment of Villa lessened.

The best tool I got for you as I said is our kid Tone loves his country and flys the flag. I suggest to you that you shouldnt read anything more than that into it.

It will drive you crazy if you dont.

Well there’s nothing I can do about it on a personal level other than to withdraw my support of Villa which as a life long supporter I’m not prepared to do. Aston Villa and my support for the club will still be there long after the Chinese have gone (assuming there’s no nasty surprises for me around the corner!). I don’t thing DrT has anything but good intentions for Villa and most of us know nothing about how deep he is in the murky world of finance and the Chinese state. However as I said earlier symbolism weighs heavy with repressive regimes and I hope the flying of this flag doesn’t come back to haunt us in years to come. We still debate Villa’s trips to Nazi Germany and whether or not the players gave a Nazi salute.

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2017, 07:45:31 PM »

China has had a very different historical trajectory to our own. As the country that fought the opium wars with China, colonised the country and kept Hong Kong with no democracy until it was eventually handed back I think we should avoid the moral high ground. Over the past thirty years China has changed beyond recognition . 600 million people have been moved out of poverty - something not to be sniffed at. Now China is investing more than any other country in renewable energies and has invests in other countries rather than bombing them. Far from perfect of course but a country showing some advances in a troubled world. And Dr Tony's cool.

And the Nazi’s built great roads and won the USA the space race...

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2017, 07:46:56 PM »
The owner is Chinese. He’s pumped millions into the club. There is a flag flying from his country. It doesn’t matter one bit.

Has he?

Offline johnny from donny

« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2017, 07:50:22 PM »
I can't be bothered to deliver a webinar on the British Empire but look it up.
[/quote
THIS.

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2017, 07:54:51 PM »
Next up banning China Girl by Bowie.And Chinese Way by Level 42

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal