collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January Transfer Window  (Read 179861 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: January Transfer Window
« Reply #855 on: January 23, 2018, 12:18:58 PM »
In fairness, Cascarino had looked the real deal, and had scored more than Sheringham during the season when we bought him. People seem to think the signing was always going to end in disaster, but that seems like revisionism to me.

I do wonder, as well, whether things might have gone differently if Shilton hadn't produced that miracle save to deny him a debut goal. Still one of my favourite away days, there seemed to be millions of us there to the nine-year-old me.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #856 on: January 23, 2018, 12:33:23 PM »
Brum Mail reckon Leeds are preparing a £7m double swoop for McCormack and Elphick.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #857 on: January 23, 2018, 12:39:02 PM »
Brum Mail reckon Leeds are preparing a £7m double swoop for McCormack and Elphick.

off  hands   snap   their   

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #858 on: January 23, 2018, 12:40:09 PM »
Signing Cascarino when we were in form is one of the great urban myths of Aston Villa. The reality is that we'd lost three of our previous four league games and hadn't scored in any of them.

I wonder what would have happened if we'd signed Sheringham instead.
Sheringham at that age was not all that good. He developed into a clever player a couple of years later. I don’t think he would have helped SGT but could have been great for BFR’s title chase. Alas, our recent history is full of regrets.

I knew little about either, but when we signed Cascarino a Millwall supporting friend called and said: You idiots, you've signed the wrong one! I might have been rude back.

Cascarino was on the fantasy football show on SKY a while back and was telling a story about when he first joined Villa.  He said all the players kept calling him 'Teddy', so after a few days of it he asked Paul McGrath why.  Apparently McGrath turned round to him and said "it's because they think we've signed the wrong player". 

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #859 on: January 23, 2018, 12:42:20 PM »
In fairness, Cascarino had looked the real deal, and had scored more than Sheringham during the season when we bought him. People seem to think the signing was always going to end in disaster, but that seems like revisionism to me.

I do wonder, as well, whether things might have gone differently if Shilton hadn't produced that miracle save to deny him a debut goal. Still one of my favourite away days, there seemed to be millions of us there to the nine-year-old me.

I was well happy when we signed him, it is just like many of the signings I am chuffed with it didn't seem to work for us. Collymore, Baros, Whittingham, Curcic, Ginola, Hadji, McCormack were all players I was excited about. Even Micah Richards and Lescott! Most of our better players seem to be the ones unheralded at the time. Yorke, Platt etc.

If we can take £7m off Leeds for Elphick and McCormack we should do so. Especially if we have the Man Utd defender coming in to replace Elphick, and Ulloa coming in to replace McCormack.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #860 on: January 23, 2018, 12:44:20 PM »
Cascarino was on the fantasy football show on SKY a while back and was telling a story about when he first joined Villa.  He said all the players kept calling him 'Teddy', so after a few days of it he asked Paul McGrath why.  Apparently McGrath turned round to him and said "it's because they think we've signed the wrong player". 

Dod I read somewhere that he had serious gambling issues whilst at Villa, I don't think his head was n the right place when he was with us. He did well in France a few years later I seem to remember.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #861 on: January 23, 2018, 12:46:22 PM »
He did well in France because Marseille were pumping him with drugs.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #862 on: January 23, 2018, 12:49:23 PM »

I was well happy when we signed him, it is just like many of the signings I am chuffed with it didn't seem to work for us. Collymore, Baros, Whittingham, Curcic, Ginola, Hadji, McCormack were all players I was excited about. Even Micah Richards and Lescott! Most of our better players seem to be the ones unheralded at the time. Yorke, Platt etc.

If we can take £7m off Leeds for Elphick and McCormack we should do so. Especially if we have the Man Utd defender coming in to replace Elphick, and Ulloa coming in to replace McCormack.

I'd like a striker in. I'm not sure we need the Man Utd kid though. I'd like to see Elphick stick around until at least the end of the season. He seems a good professional on and off the pitch and you need character's like that around the squad when you're pushing for promotion.

Offline frank black

« Reply #863 on: January 23, 2018, 01:39:30 PM »
I think Leeds want McCormack on loan......leave him in Australia if that’s the case

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #864 on: January 23, 2018, 01:44:51 PM »

The only way I would sell them to a promotion rival is if the money is available to spend - if it won’t be then you can’t sell to a rival, particularly as despite how dreadful he has been for us you know McCormack will score goals in this league.

Sunderland or Hull would be great destinations for both on loan, play well, help take points off our promotion rivals and at the same time impress enough that Championship clubs want to sign them in the summer when hopefully we are back at the top table :-)

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #865 on: January 23, 2018, 01:50:04 PM »
I’d leave McCormack where he is until the summer. We don’t want him scoring goals for a promotion rival during the run-in.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #866 on: January 23, 2018, 02:02:30 PM »
I’d leave McCormack where he is until the summer. We don’t want him scoring goals for a promotion rival during the run-in.

I thought it was Leeds who were looking at him ;)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #867 on: January 23, 2018, 02:17:45 PM »
£7m for Mad Tom and Fat Ross? Cor.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #868 on: January 23, 2018, 02:52:41 PM »
it's all bullshit.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #869 on: January 23, 2018, 03:04:33 PM »
Signing Cascarino when we were in form is one of the great urban myths of Aston Villa. The reality is that we'd lost three of our previous four league games and hadn't scored in any of them.

I wonder what would have happened if we'd signed Sheringham instead.

Or, if McInally hadn't gone to Bayern

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal