collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by devilla
[Today at 12:43:32 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:42:22 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:19:45 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by devilla
[Today at 12:43:32 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:42:22 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:40:33 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 12:38:12 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:36:41 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:32:43 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:19:57 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January Transfer Window  (Read 178919 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: January Transfer Window
« Reply #840 on: January 22, 2018, 11:56:49 PM »
For possibly the first time ever, I hope we DON'T sign anybody this window.  We've got a nice settled side with competition in most places, and the one thing you can confidently say about most of Bruce's signings for us, is that they have all taken time to settle.  I'd hate to bring somebody in who disrupts things.

I can see that point of view. I still think if SGT hadn't signed Cascarino when he did that we would have gone on to win the league, it disrupted a team that was on good form.

Having said that I do worry what would happen if Hogan picked up a knock.

I am happy with what we have in defence (especially with the form of Hutton at left back meaning we now have two of them, and Elphick having started to look like the player we though we had signed).

I am also happy-ish with midfield, and wouldn't bring anyone in unless we shifted some deadwood first.

Not sure I see the point in signing the Man U reserve we have been linked with, he should not be getting a place ahead of either Terry or Chester. We have a lot of decent right backs, and he should not be getting in ahead of Jedinack when fit. We already have Whelan and Barney as back up there too. Pointless signing.

To be fair, I think Olney had 'hit the wall' when we went for Cascarino due to his age and inexperience and how many games he had lead the line in that season. It is only with the hindsight of Cascarino not hitting the ground running that the move is remembered as a disappointment. Although if I remember right he did set up the winning goals in the 1-0 wins against Chelsea and away to Arsenal in the run in. I felt the Heskey signing was to strengthen the depth of the squad in that area more than anything.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #841 on: January 23, 2018, 12:03:14 AM »
With Heskey, playing one up top had been working for us. Once we signed Heskey, we went with two up top and lost a midfielder and totally changed our shape. So it did upset the squad balance. I would have preferred us to have signed Darren Bent earlier when Harry Redknapp was saying his wife could have taken a chance that he missed and played Bent on his own up top without changing the team's shape. That would have been interesting.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #842 on: January 23, 2018, 12:12:52 AM »
Signing Cascarino when we were in form is one of the great urban myths of Aston Villa. The reality is that we'd lost three of our previous four league games and hadn't scored in any of them.

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #843 on: January 23, 2018, 08:49:47 AM »
Signing Cascarino when we were in form is one of the great urban myths of Aston Villa. The reality is that we'd lost three of our previous four league games and hadn't scored in any of them.

I wonder what would have happened if we'd signed Sheringham instead.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #844 on: January 23, 2018, 08:57:36 AM »
We should have signed Ian Wright.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #845 on: January 23, 2018, 08:58:12 AM »

We’ll never know but I think we’d have won the league. And maybe again 3 years later if we’d have carried on with Regis, Saunders and Yorke instead of bringing Dalian back after his injury. That was understandable though.

Offline villabear

« Reply #846 on: January 23, 2018, 09:21:33 AM »
Via Google Translate...

Does Ritchie De Laet react to the rumors about a return to Antwerp?  Striking tweet suggests that
Photo: © photonews
Antwerp may still be involved in the transfer market and then there is a good chance that the Great Old, with the contacts of Luciano D'Onofrio, will have a well-known name. A player who was linked to the PhD student on Monday morning is Ritchie De Laet.

Although the talks between Antwerp and De Laet are not concrete, the interest is mutual, Monday morning in Het Laatste Nieuws . ( Read HERE about a possible loan to the Great Old )

On Monday afternoon, the 29-year-old defender of Aston Villa sent a striking tweet into the world. "I know nothing," wrote De Laet, who also adjusted his profile picture on Twitter. A photo in the shirt of The Vilans made way for one with the logo of Antwerp .

The Belgian neo-first division is the club of his heart, that De Laet never left. Earlier the rearguard player flirted once with a return to the Bosuil. On Sunday he followed the cracker back Club Brugge as well.

Read more: https://www.voetbalkrant.com/nl/nieuws/lees/2018-01-22/reageert-ritchie-de-laet-op-de-geruchten#ixzz54vq0h133

I've no idea what "following the cracker back" entails, but I think it might be racist.

I reckon it's a 'typo' & should've read Crackerjack. Thus, the racist link is with a brummegem's very own 'Don Maclean, who - prior to his hilario double-teaming with Peter 'Chuckles' Glaze on Crapperjack - was compare on the Black & White Minstrel Show.

And not a lot of people know that.

Just don’t drop any cabbages (ask your Dad).  God I’m getting old.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #847 on: January 23, 2018, 10:12:21 AM »

Sheringham at that age was not all that good. He developed into a clever player a couple of years later. I don’t think he would have helped SGT but could have been great for BFR’s title chase. Alas, our recent history is full of regrets.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #848 on: January 23, 2018, 10:29:04 AM »

We’ll never know but I think we’d have won the league. And maybe again 3 years later if we’d have carried on with Regis, Saunders and Yorke instead of bringing Dalian back after his injury. That was understandable though.

I remember thinking that the other day.  As you say, it was understandable, but with hindsight was the wrong decision.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #849 on: January 23, 2018, 10:29:56 AM »
I also what would have happened if Les Ferdinand hadn't turned us down in favour of Newcastle.

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #850 on: January 23, 2018, 10:32:03 AM »
I also what would have happened if Les Ferdinand hadn't turned us down in favour of Newcastle.

We might not have seen the emergence of Yorke. Yorkie relished being top striker, and Savo complimented him superbly.

Would have loved to have seen Ferdinand at Villa though.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #851 on: January 23, 2018, 10:48:35 AM »
We were talking to a couple of QPR fans on the way to Forest the other week about Ferdinand. He's in danger of losing his legend status down there due to some dodgy decisions he's made in his Director of Football role. They hate Holloway with a passion as well.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #852 on: January 23, 2018, 11:33:14 AM »

Sheringham at that age was not all that good. He developed into a clever player a couple of years later. I don’t think he would have helped SGT but could have been great for BFR’s title chase. Alas, our recent history is full of regrets.

I knew little about either, but when we signed Cascarino a Millwall supporting friend called and said: You idiots, you've signed the wrong one! I might have been rude back.

Online OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #853 on: January 23, 2018, 11:37:48 AM »

Or if Peter Shilton hadn't pulled off an unbelievable save from a Cascarino diving header late on his debut away at Derby in front of a rammed away end. We won the game anyway but that would have got him up and running confidence wise.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #854 on: January 23, 2018, 12:09:56 PM »

I remember that a bit differently. Even when we were signing Cascarino it was said we were signing the wrong man, and I’m sure I once heard Taylor claim it was Sheringham that we really wanted but Millwall were having none of it but proceeded to offer Cascarino instead. Whatever it was it was a mistake to sign Cascarino in hindsight.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal