collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January Transfer Window  (Read 179832 times)

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
Re: January Transfer Window
« Reply #810 on: January 22, 2018, 11:32:32 AM »
The Gabby thing was a joke, you do realise that don't you?

Not even going to credit that with an answer.

Mind you.. If you wanted to force Conte out giving him Gabby and Richards would do it I reckon

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #811 on: January 22, 2018, 12:25:16 PM »
Although a different style, Wells would be a great option.

Early last season when we were playing Huddersfield off the park, the game turned when Wells came on for them. He caused us all sorts of problems, and at this level he would be a good signing. Pace, running and an eye for goal.

Yep, remember that too.  He was a real nuisance when he came on that day.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #812 on: January 22, 2018, 12:29:11 PM »
For possibly the first time ever, I hope we DON'T sign anybody this window.  We've got a nice settled side with competition in most places, and the one thing you can confidently say about most of Bruce's signings for us, is that they have all taken time to settle.  I'd hate to bring somebody in who disrupts things.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #813 on: January 22, 2018, 01:04:50 PM »
I agree, Risso. That might be a first too!

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #814 on: January 22, 2018, 01:13:55 PM »
For possibly the first time ever, I hope we DON'T sign anybody this window.  We've got a nice settled side with competition in most places, and the one thing you can confidently say about most of Bruce's signings for us, is that they have all taken time to settle.  I'd hate to bring somebody in who disrupts things.

I can see that point of view. I still think if SGT hadn't signed Cascarino when he did that we would have gone on to win the league, it disrupted a team that was on good form.

Having said that I do worry what would happen if Hogan picked up a knock.

I am happy with what we have in defence (especially with the form of Hutton at left back meaning we now have two of them, and Elphick having started to look like the player we though we had signed).

I am also happy-ish with midfield, and wouldn't bring anyone in unless we shifted some deadwood first.

Not sure I see the point in signing the Man U reserve we have been linked with, he should not be getting a place ahead of either Terry or Chester. We have a lot of decent right backs, and he should not be getting in ahead of Jedinack when fit. We already have Whelan and Barney as back up there too. Pointless signing.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #815 on: January 22, 2018, 01:17:08 PM »
There are plenty of other reasons they failed other than 'they took time to settle'. Playing them in the right position being one. Elmo and Terry never stuffed from that and settled immediately. Snodgrass was an instant impact, for me the real driving force we so lacked but his problem was more to do with fitness than anything else.

Offline Risso

« Reply #816 on: January 22, 2018, 01:17:21 PM »

I can see that point of view. I still think if SGT hadn't signed Cascarino when he did that we would have gone on to win the league, it disrupted a team that was on good form.

The O'Neill signing of Heskey had a similar effect on the team too.

I agree about the point re Hogan.  If we do bring somebody in, a striker would be priority.

Offline Risso

« Reply #817 on: January 22, 2018, 01:22:31 PM »
There are plenty of other reasons they failed other than 'they took time to settle'. Playing them in the right position being one. Elmo and Terry never stuffed from that and settled immediately. Snodgrass was an instant impact, for me the real driving force we so lacked but his problem was more to do with fitness than anything else.

I think you need to go back and have a read of the match threads and the John Terry thread at the start of the season, nobody on here was very happy at all with his performances.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #818 on: January 22, 2018, 01:59:59 PM »

I think you need to go back and have a read of the match threads and the John Terry thread at the start of the season, nobody on here was very happy at all with his performances.

Just had a quick look. Most posts focus on the ineptitude of Bruce and the bullshit that came out his mouth. It was Chester, not Terry that was having a stinker early doors as he was no longer playing in his natural/favoured position. Neither were great but then nobody in the team was playing well.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #819 on: January 22, 2018, 02:00:15 PM »
I think Terry has been mainly immense since the Reading away game, I think that was the third game of the season.

Elmo and Snodgrass have been mainly good since day 1 with the odd indifferent game.

I would still like to see the insurance of another centre back and centre forward this window, Elphick looked better recently and theyve finally worked Hogan successfully into the mix but a bit more would be good in case of injuries in those positions.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #820 on: January 22, 2018, 02:48:58 PM »

An on loan centre forward aside, I would agree.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 02:58:57 PM by tomd2103 »

Offline berneboy

• John 3:16
« Reply #821 on: January 22, 2018, 02:50:59 PM »

I agree with you.
Or as the cool guys say: This.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #822 on: January 22, 2018, 03:15:15 PM »

I agree with you.
Or as the cool guys say: This.
What they said.

Offline IAmTheOneIanOlney

« Reply #823 on: January 22, 2018, 04:23:28 PM »
Has Ritchie de Laet gone to Antwerp?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 04:26:48 PM by IAmTheOneIanOlney »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #824 on: January 22, 2018, 04:30:13 PM »
Seems like it judging by his Twitter page.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal