collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:19:56 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:19:56 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by AV82EC
[Today at 11:16:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 11:11:04 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:07:39 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 11:05:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Richard E
[Today at 11:00:08 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:58:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January Transfer Window  (Read 178918 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: January Transfer Window
« Reply #660 on: January 15, 2018, 02:12:34 PM »
Bruce claims to have one almost done and another who is not on any radar at present ........................................... ???

I would imagine some aging Premier player who has been around a few clubs - Brucie like his "experience"

I think at this point of the season in a short term capacity not altogether a bad idea though. Ulloa will bring that, but if he sprinkles in that defender from Man U he gets a bit of both and someone who can provide good cover for Chester and Terry. Wouldn’t mind a forward in as well despite Hogan’s recent improvement, but not the end of the world if that doesn’t happen.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #661 on: January 15, 2018, 03:50:43 PM »
Bruce claims to have one almost done and another who is not on any radar at present ........................................... ???

I would imagine some aging Premier player who has been around a few clubs - Brucie like his "experience"

I think at this point of the season in a short term capacity not altogether a bad idea though. Ulloa will bring that, but if he sprinkles in that defender from Man U he gets a bit of both and someone who can provide good cover for Chester and Terry. Wouldn’t mind a forward in as well despite Hogan’s recent improvement, but not the end of the world if that doesn’t happen.

I think a forward on loan is a must really.  Hogan has done well over the last couple of games, but is very injury prone.  If he gets injured, we are looking at entering what looks as thoughh it could be a critical time of the season with Davis or RHM leading the line (with Agbonlahor missing in non-action).  If we were to make only one signing in this window, that would be the one I would go for. 

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #662 on: January 15, 2018, 04:00:23 PM »

A forward in as well as Ulloa?

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #663 on: January 15, 2018, 04:19:48 PM »

I think a forward on loan is a must really.  Hogan has done well over the last couple of games, but is very injury prone.  If he gets injured, we are looking at entering what looks as thoughh it could be a critical time of the season with Davis or RHM leading the line (with Agbonlahor missing in non-action).  If we were to make only one signing in this window, that would be the one I would go for. 

Exactly. Hogan's confidence about picking himself every week is all well and good, but whether or not he can stay match fit is the major question. I like him but even his time at Brentford was marred by frequent injury, for a pretty young guy he's been riddled. We can't rely on him to lead the line every week, particularly if we're looking at facing Playoff games in May.

Ulloa seems to be top of the list for Bruce but I'd like to think we've at least attempted a deal for Ings, who would be better suited for me.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #664 on: January 15, 2018, 06:47:10 PM »
Derby were left reeling today after their promotion hopes suffered a massive setback with the news that they are on the verge of signing Cameron Jerome.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #665 on: January 15, 2018, 06:54:30 PM »

Exactly. Hogan's confidence about picking himself every week is all well and good, but whether or not he can stay match fit is the major question. I like him but even his time at Brentford was marred by frequent injury, for a pretty young guy he's been riddled. We can't rely on him to lead the line every week, particularly if we're looking at facing Playoff games in May.

Ulloa seems to be top of the list for Bruce but I'd like to think we've at least attempted a deal for Ings, who would be better suited for me.

The problem with Ings is that he's had a few nasty injuries himself and might be a risk. I'd go with Ulloa. 

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #666 on: January 15, 2018, 07:25:06 PM »
I do wonder what assurances of a starting spot with come with signing Ulloa? The way we are set up now with one up front and finding ways to get the ball to Hogan is working well. Would it work as well with Ulloa and would he accept a spot on the bench because Hogan is first choice?

Offline godzvilla

« Reply #667 on: January 15, 2018, 09:03:06 PM »
I do wonder what assurances of a starting spot with come with signing Ulloa? The way we are set up now with one up front and finding ways to get the ball to Hogan is working well. Would it work as well with Ulloa and would he accept a spot on the bench because Hogan is first choice?
Are you discounting the possibility of Hogan & Ulloa playing together ?. If they did, I wonder what our line up would be (?)................Godzvilla

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #668 on: January 15, 2018, 09:06:55 PM »
Are you discounting the possibility of Hogan & Ulloa playing together ?. If they did, I wonder what our line up would be (?)................Godzvilla

No they certainly could, but despite suggesting at one point he wanted to play that way Bruce hasn’t tried it often at all. But it’s a possibility. Maybe a 4-1-3-2 system?

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #669 on: January 15, 2018, 10:25:55 PM »
Jose has sanctioned Axel going out on loan (told press post match)

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #670 on: January 15, 2018, 11:08:17 PM »

If he comes on loan then I don't think we need to make too many assurances.  He's not going to be match fit to start with and with Hogan in form, he'll probably come off the bench.  If Hogan starts to struggle or get injured, then Ulloa could come in, but it will be good to have another option for the run-in. 

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #671 on: January 16, 2018, 08:47:15 AM »

If he comes on loan then I don't think we need to make too many assurances.  He's not going to be match fit to start with and with Hogan in form, he'll probably come off the bench.  If Hogan starts to struggle or get injured, then Ulloa could come in, but it will be good to have another option for the run-in. 

Absolutely. Leo hasn't even had the opportunity to make any late-doors cameos at Leicester this season, so hopefully he'll be happy to come & make the most of being 'wanted' by another club.

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #672 on: January 16, 2018, 12:09:44 PM »
If Bruce is looking at bringing in Tuanzebe and a striker, I reckon he's still planning to go 3-5-2 for a large part of the remainder of the season. Tuanzebe and Chester either side of Terry and Ulloa (possibly) and Hogan upfront (with Davies as an option from the bench).

As others have said, both Ulloa and Tuanzebe would only come to  us with assurances of playing a certain amount of football.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #673 on: January 16, 2018, 12:49:43 PM »
If Bruce is looking at bringing in Tuanzebe and a striker, I reckon he's still planning to go 3-5-2 for a large part of the remainder of the season. Tuanzebe and Chester either side of Terry and Ulloa (possibly) and Hogan upfront (with Davies as an option from the bench).

As others have said, both Ulloa and Tuanzebe would only come to  us with assurances of playing a certain amount of football.
I'd be very surprised if he made such a significant change in formation at this stage of the season when things are going reasonably well.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #674 on: January 16, 2018, 12:53:25 PM »
I'd like to think we've at least attempted a deal for Ings, who would be better suited for me.
I am sure he was on bench against City at weekend - if so then I doubt he will drop out being that close

What about Sturridge?  I know his wages must be huge but he clearly is not required at 'The Mighty Reds YNWA' so a part of his wages by us is a part saved by them

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal