collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:24:14 AM]

FFP by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:14:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by dicedlam
[Today at 09:14:03 AM]

Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 2-1 Sunderland Post match thread  (Read 14834 times)

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
Re: Aston Villa 2-1 Sunderland Post match thread
« Reply #105 on: November 22, 2017, 12:02:45 PM »
absolute turgid stuff, from both teams -  if this is the best that a team costing £50 million+ can do then oh dear,  but as he says Bruce knows best!

it pains me to say that for me Hutton was MOTM but then I expect that from a right back who cost us £9 + million (the most expensive right back in the league)

Davis looked as though 2 games in 4 days is too much for him at this stage of his career

Wolves look at the moment a class above, everyone else that I have seen is of an equal level - 3 wins and you are up near the play offs (look at Forest)

Fair play to the Sunderland fans who made the journey, it must have been a long journey home.
3 points. What do points make?

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #106 on: November 22, 2017, 12:04:30 PM »
27k vs Sunderland on a Tuesday night. Most championship clubs and some premiership clubs would love that.
Here, here. A winter's night with 2 home games in 4 days and Christmas around the corner against what have become over the years an unattractive opposition.

And Sunderland brought 800 fans with them. If it was a Saturday they’d have brought at least another 2 to 2,500. It’s a decent crowd.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #107 on: November 22, 2017, 12:06:53 PM »
That was absolutely dreadful. Crap, safe football but luckily Sunderland are garbage. Turned out to be a good night though with Sheff Utd and Bristol City losing.

Those kind of performances though are why we don't beat any of the teams around us because you can't get away with it. We must improve going into December.

The crowd. Only 27k, piss poor considering we were 5th and on a decent run. Sunderland had the same as that on Saturday and haven't won at home in 2017. Will it take us to be in the top two for everyone to come crawling back?
Atmosphere was shocking aswell. Silent for the majority of the game.

I'd have thought that even the hard of thinking would realise that Saturday games tend to attract bigger crowds than those held on Tuesday night.

Our average home support is over two thousand higher than theirs without having played Small Heath and Wolves yet, and we have the best away support in the country.

Still, don't let the facts get in the way of you finding an excuse to moan about our fans. I hope you enjoyed listening to the game on the radio.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #108 on: November 22, 2017, 12:09:31 PM »
and this against a Sunderland team, with 7 players missing. 
That's not correct. I kept a close eye on their players and for the entire 93 minutes they had 11 players on the pitch.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #109 on: November 22, 2017, 12:38:24 PM »
With those 7 players they're still shit.

Online Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #110 on: November 22, 2017, 01:19:41 PM »
I thought Sunderland outplayed us for long periods. We looked so pedestrian, barely any movement with moves breaking down very quickly. That said, I'm glad and impressed we won but it's a performance that doesn't inspire confidence in me. I suppose points on the board in the main thing though.

Taylor got a bit of stick near me and I could sort of see why. He looked lightweight, unimaginative and a bit frightened at times.

Hutton was immense. Some of his tackles got the whole ground cheering.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #111 on: November 22, 2017, 01:34:13 PM »
Davis had a poor game but I can forgive him as a) he never hid away, b) he's young and still learning and c) we won.

I thought it was more to the experience of O'Shea - just like Terry he has seen it, done it, won it and knows how to play the game

As for Sunderland outplaying us - it just looks that way as we allow other teams possession as they tend to do not a lot with it.

My concern is the Keeper - 2 games, 2 things to do both got wrong, 2 x goals conceded - and his kicking is piss poor also

Saturday

Jedi for Whelan
Jack for Onomah
Elmo for Hutton
Hutton for Taylor

And both O'Hare and Doyle on bench

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #112 on: November 22, 2017, 01:39:29 PM »
I wouldn't fault Johnstone for the goal, he parried the ball wide.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #113 on: November 22, 2017, 01:59:59 PM »
On the plus side, if you're going to have a crap performance it's best to do it against a side so bad that our 2015/16 side would beat them. 16 league games without a win, 3 league wins in 2017 and at least 8 first teamers out last night.

so basically we managed to make the worst side in the world look sort of half decent

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #114 on: November 22, 2017, 02:15:25 PM »
Davis had a poor game but I can forgive him as a) he never hid away, b) he's young and still learning and c) we won.

I thought it was more to the experience of O'Shea - just like Terry he has seen it, done it, won it and knows how to play the game

Actually, that's a good point.  I would expect Terry to have raw 19 year olds in his pocket too.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #115 on: November 22, 2017, 02:22:15 PM »
That was absolutely dreadful. Crap, safe football but luckily Sunderland are garbage. Turned out to be a good night though with Sheff Utd and Bristol City losing.

Those kind of performances though are why we don't beat any of the teams around us because you can't get away with it. We must improve going into December.

The crowd. Only 27k, piss poor considering we were 5th and on a decent run. Sunderland had the same as that on Saturday and haven't won at home in 2017. Will it take us to be in the top two for everyone to come crawling back?
Atmosphere was shocking aswell. Silent for the majority of the game.

I'd have thought that even the hard of thinking would realise that Saturday games tend to attract bigger crowds than those held on Tuesday night.

Our average home support is over two thousand higher than theirs without having played Small Heath and Wolves yet, and we have the best away support in the country.

Still, don't let the facts get in the way of you finding an excuse to moan about our fans. I hope you enjoyed listening to the game on the radio.

Quinton does like to constantly criticise those who go to the games, whether it's how many of them or what sort of atmosphere they create, it's slightly bizarre.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #116 on: November 22, 2017, 03:45:09 PM »
Neil Taylor is useless. I hope at the weekend he goes back to Elmo at RB, Hutton at LB.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #117 on: November 22, 2017, 04:13:25 PM »
Pleased to have seen us win another 3points, glad we're up to 4th, still a lot to do.
On a side note, within my group of mates, we have a friendly bet on when quinton comes on here to slag off the Villa fans again. I won last night (post 42 on this thread)!
Onto the next match, hoping for a better performance and certainly the 3 points.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #118 on: November 22, 2017, 04:14:44 PM »
27k vs Sunderland on a Tuesday night. Most championship clubs and some premiership clubs would love that.
Here, here. A winter's night with 2 home games in 4 days and Christmas around the corner against what have become over the years an unattractive opposition.

And Sunderland brought 800 fans with them. If it was a Saturday they’d have brought at least another 2 to 2,500. It’s a decent crowd.

It certainly is on both counts and they have had as many years of utter dross as we have

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #119 on: November 22, 2017, 04:23:30 PM »
Neil Taylor is useless. I hope at the weekend he goes back to Elmo at RB, Hutton at LB.

Taylor did not have a great game last night but it is OTT to say he is useless. He has been solid if unspectacular for us since he arrived.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal