collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 2-1 Sunderland Post match thread  (Read 14912 times)

Offline rougegorge

Re: Aston Villa 2-1 Sunderland Post match thread
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2017, 11:18:46 PM »
Sunderland were bereft of confidence and any real cutting edge, which was just as well, as we were poor tonight, just less poor than they were.

It was disappointing to watch after Saturday, but grateful for the win nonetheless.  As good as Davis was on Saturday, the opposite applied this evening which is why we need a striker in January as another option. It's a lot to expect him to deliver every game. Hourihane should be playing further forward yet several times he was behind Whelan.

Hutton appeared to receive MOTM which was ok. Of the rest, I thought Samba played well and adjusted well to compensate for his lack of pace.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2017, 11:22:50 PM »
Yeah at this stage of the season is time to iron out some of the issues with the performance.  For now it was just important to get the win. 

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2017, 11:27:37 PM »
Was at the game earlier and it was a really poor performance, especially in the first half.  Too many had an off night, but we got the result and the table is looking encouraging, especially as there is now a bit of a gap between us and 7th.  Win the next two home games and get something against Leeds in between and we could be in good shape going into the Christmas period.

Have to say that the striker situation is a worry.  Davis had a poor game tonight and our lack of options up there was highlighted by the fact that Adomah and then Elmohamady found themselves up there.  Could be a real problem if Davis has a dip in form or gets injured.  Similar problem at centre back as well and both positions need strengthening in January.

On a separate note, did anyone catch the shirts being presented by Stan Petrov at half time?  That one bloke must have had a very hard life if he is 36!!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 11:45:48 PM by tomd2103 »

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2017, 11:43:15 PM »
Poor performance but we seem to have the luck running with us for a change - thought the ref could/should have given a foul against Samba when we went on to score the first, and the second was a lucky deflection - but at the end of the season it will just say 2-1, three points, and we move on. As others have said, great to see Stan at half time, and obviously watching Villa over the past few seasons has taken its toll on that 36 year old chap

Offline l_mckay

« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2017, 11:44:05 PM »
Not very convincing at all,was disappointed we sat back and invited them on once we got the second goal but we got the points that's the main thing. Big game Saturday now maybe freshen the side up a bit!? UTV!

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2017, 11:46:26 PM »
Poor performance but we seem to have the luck running with us for a change - thought the ref could/should have given a foul against Samba when we went on to score the first, and the second was a lucky deflection - but at the end of the season it will just say 2-1, three points, and we move on. As others have said, great to see Stan at half time, and obviously watching Villa over the past few seasons has taken its toll on that 36 year old chap

Ha ha!!

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2017, 11:51:28 PM »
Immense respect to all you guys and gals that watch that every week
my attendance had dropped of a bit since Bruce came as his Football doesn’t inspire me go much
but I thought I’d brave it tonight

good to see us win 3 points and all that but I won’t be rushing back if that’s the best we’ve got to offer against a bottom side club
it really is promotion at all costs, it’s not for me but fair play to those who wanted Bruce  for exactly this sort of winning performance

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2017, 11:55:49 PM »
Immense respect to all you guys and gals that watch that every week
my attendance had dropped of a bit since Bruce came as his Football doesn’t inspire me go much
but I thought I’d brave it tonight

good to see us win 3 points and all that but I won’t be rushing back if that’s the best we’ve got to offer against a bottom side club
it really is promotion at all costs, it’s not for me but fair play to those who wanted Bruce  for exactly this sort of winning performance

To be fair to Bruce and the team that was an unusually ugly win. We have actually played some decent stuff the past few weeks. At least as far as I can tell, being across the atlantic I only watch via TV cameras.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2017, 12:15:54 AM »
We won but overall we were not good. Apart from Hutton, who, unlike the rest played like it mattered and Grealish, who, for his short time on the pitch showed how to keep the ball and involve players around him.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2017, 12:16:03 AM »
Having just arrived back home, I can honestly say it was a shit game. And, evidenced by the almost-silent crowd throughout.
Poor in possession and poor without the ball. We won because Blunderland's defence was rubbish.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2017, 12:41:00 AM »
Having just arrived back home, I can honestly say it was a shit game. And, evidenced by the almost-silent crowd throughout.
Poor in possession and poor without the ball. We won because Blunderland's defence was rubbish.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Have to concur.  Struggling to recall a game where so many misplaced passes went out of play. 

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2017, 01:14:58 AM »
It was always going to be ugly.

3 Points! Yippee!

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2017, 01:25:03 AM »
Hourihane s passing was particularly bad tonight, I will give him credit for his work rate though.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2017, 05:23:48 AM »
I thought we were outplayed for the first half hour and they were getting in behind us with some nice passing but after that we got the line right and they didn't really threaten save for some last-ditch tackles/interceptions by Samba and Chester. Thought we were in for some stress after they scored but we broke up the game, slowed it down and stopped them from building up pressure. It was shit but it was quite professional and the last twenty minutes didn't really drag like you'd expect it to.

Five of us went together and we all thought Hutton was MOTM easily.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2017, 07:08:20 AM »
absolute turgid stuff, from both teams -  if this is the best that a team costing £50 million+ can do then oh dear,  but as he says Bruce knows best!

it pains me to say that for me Hutton was MOTM but then I expect that from a right back who cost us £9 + million (the most expensive right back in the league)

Davis looked as though 2 games in 4 days is too much for him at this stage of his career

Wolves look at the moment a class above, everyone else that I have seen is of an equal level - 3 wins and you are up near the play offs (look at Forest)

Fair play to the Sunderland fans who made the journey, it must have been a long journey home.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal