collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Doc at The Villa  (Read 6393 times)

Offline b23

• GM : 02.09.2019
Re: The Doc at The Villa
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2017, 10:36:24 PM »
Posted this before but I feel it gives a real sense of the excitement The Doc created in those first few months after years of decline under the old board with crowds having dropped to 13,000.

My first game.
Brian Godfrey and Lionel Martin scored.

Thank you.

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2017, 04:35:51 PM »
It's a brilliant photo...in the days before hi-tech training gear, they all had different kits on, black boots, and Tommy Docherty with an armful of Villa shirts that probably were the same ones they wore for games!
I'm sure everyone knows but my identification of the players are, from left:
Top: Neil Rioch, Dave Rudge, Freddie Mwila, Keith Bradley
Middle: John Griffiths, Arthur Cox, Emment Kapengwe, Pat McMahon, Dave Simmons, Brian Tiler, Bruce Rioch, Geoff Crudgington, Willie Anderson, Lionel Martin, Vic Crowe, Tommy Docherty.
Kneeling: Chico Hamilton, Barry Lynch, Micky Wright.
The Doc briefly brought us back from the brink and woke the sleeping lion...his importance in Villa's history cannot be underestimated!

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2017, 04:49:32 PM »
Revolution, revival, wheels come off, relegation. What a whirlwind time ! 

An intensely devoted family man, apart from when he is shagging the Man United phsyio's missus.

Offline steamer

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2017, 06:37:47 PM »
who is up Mrs Brown

Offline Damo70

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2017, 07:27:53 AM »
I read his autobiography a few years ago. As a young and innovative coach he had Chelsea flying in the sixties. Apart from promotion and the FA cup at United in the seventies the rest of his career was an anti climax. Unfortunately my only real memories of him were when he was managing the basket case of a club that was Wolves in the eighties.

Offline SirSteveUK

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2017, 10:30:00 PM »
Chico signed for 69/70 season, no ? Which would mean the pic was taken sometime between preseason 1969 and 15.1.70 (Docs sacking date - after a 5-3 home defeat by Portsmouth)

Acccording to my sources, Crudgington never played a game in 69/70, but the pic looks like him

Geoff's debut was not until Jan 1971  - long after Docs exit.

(Trivia fact: Nigel Martyn's 3 GK heroes:- Clemence, Southall and Geoff)

Quite a few players missing - possibly injured - Barry Hole & Brian Godfrey for instance

Griffiths injury was in a FA Cup match against Albion - he was sub for two FL matches earlier in the season - but I have found a Griffiths who played in the last match of the prev season. - against Hull - the same bloke?

Offline PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2017, 11:14:21 PM »
It's a brilliant photo...in the days before hi-tech training gear, they all had different kits on, black boots, and Tommy Docherty with an armful of Villa shirts that probably were the same ones they wore for games!
Middle: John Griffiths, Arthur Cox, Emment Kapengwe, Pat McMahon, Dave Simmons, Brian Tiler, Bruce Rioch, Geoff Crudgington, Willie Anderson, Lionel Martin, Vic Crowe, Tommy Docherty.
The Doc briefly brought us back from the brink and woke the sleeping lion...his importance in Villa's history cannot be underestimated!

The shirts that Tommy Doc is holding are the shirts that he had taken off the washing line after the 20000 of us had gone home as the shirts were now dry!!!

Some on here will remember what i'm on about.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2017, 11:30:51 PM »
The notable absentees from this picture are Barrie Hole, Mike Ferguson, and Dick Edwards.
All three had fell out with The Doc and were seen by him as the old guard and cause of dressing room discontent resulting in such a spectacularly abysmal start to the 69/70 season when we had been seen as favourites to go up.
Chico Hamilton(40k?), Pat McMahon(20k?), and Bruce Rioch(100k) were the big money pre-season signings who were going to take us back to the 1st division. As it was they were regulars in a team that took us down to division three. In the end all three proved to be very successful signings for us in the post Doc years.     
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 11:34:27 PM by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air »

Offline SirSteveUK

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2017, 04:42:53 PM »
The Rioch bros look about 14

Offline PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2017, 05:17:42 PM »
The notable absentees from this picture are Barrie Hole, Mike Ferguson, and Dick Edwards.
All three had fell out with The Doc and were seen by him as the old guard and cause of dressing room discontent resulting in such a spectacularly abysmal start to the 69/70 season when we had been seen as favourites to go up.
Chico Hamilton(40k?), Pat McMahon(20k?), and Bruce Rioch(100k) were the big money pre-season signings who were going to take us back to the 1st division. As it was they were regulars in a team that took us down to division three. In the end all three proved to be very successful signings for us in the post Doc years.     
I thought Pat McMahon was a free transfer...didwe pay circa £20k for him.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2017, 06:04:34 PM »
You're right; PM was a free transfer from Celtic.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2017, 01:28:04 PM »
You're right; PM was a free transfer from Celtic.

And a bloody good one!

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2017, 09:05:47 AM »

The shirts that Tommy Doc is holding are the shirts that he had taken off the washing line after the 20000 of us had gone home as the shirts were now dry!!!

Some on here will remember what i'm on about.

I remember what you're on about mate!
For those who don't, Tommy Doc said Villa were so huge that if 11 shirts were hung on the line they'd get 20,000 fans to watch them dry!
This endeared him to the supporters in his whirlwinfd first season.
He also said that Brian Clough's high-flying Derby County wouldn't leave Villa Park with anything other than a cup of tea at half time, there were pics in the press of him holding a teapot. Derby won 1-0 from memory!

Offline Oscar Arce

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2017, 09:21:31 AM »

You're right Andy. Hole, Edwards and Ferguson were bombed out by the Doc at the time, he preferred younger players who wouldn't question his authority.
The three of them had been spotted drinking in Brum on a Thursday before a game, they were fined, suspended and told to train with the 'stiffs', Hole actually went back to Wales to work in his family's newsagent shop, not to return until Doc was sacked!

Offline Oscar Arce

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2017, 09:29:35 AM »
Talking of Barrie Hole, anyone else remember the song at the time referring to his misdemenour:
'He's here, he's there, he's every fkin where, Barrie Hole, Barrie Hole,
He's up, he's down, he's in the Rose & Crown, Barrie Hole, Barrie Hole

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal