collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Re: Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Re: Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Chris Nicholl  (Read 7041 times)

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
Re: Chris Nicholl
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2017, 11:05:11 AM »

Truly my favourite goal ever. The first I can remember is Harry Burrows against 'Orient', so I have seen a few, but this one tops everything. It was the culmination & combination of a cup trail that seemed to last forever. That one strike made it all worth it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 11:31:32 AM by kipeye »

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2017, 12:30:46 PM »

Truly my favourite goal ever. The first I can remember is Harry Burrows against 'Orient', so I have seen a few, but this one tops everything. It was the culmination & combination of a cup trail that seemed to last forever. That one strike made it all worth it.

Was that the Harry Burrows goal that went in direct from a corner?  I was at that match and, IIRC, went and stood by the player's tunnel and was so early I would have been one of the first; if not the first in the ground that day.  I remember Ray Moore the trainer at the time coming out and then speaking to me.  I was overawed, you never got to speak to the playing staff like that back then.  Well I didn't anyway.

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2017, 02:09:18 PM »

Was that the Harry Burrows goal that went in direct from a corner?  I was at that match and, IIRC, went and stood by the player's tunnel and was so early I would have been one of the first; if not the first in the ground that day.  I remember Ray Moore the trainer at the time coming out and then speaking to me.  I was overawed, you never got to speak to the playing staff like that back then.  Well I didn't anyway.

No-He did score a few of them but it was almost a corner inasmuch he was wide on the touchline and drove it in hard and low, a typical goal for him but ass much cross as shot. It was the only goal of the match and DW tells me it was 1962 as this was the only year Leyton Orient were in the top division.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2017, 02:23:58 PM »
Unlike a lot of players today he gave 100% in every game. You always knew that he actually did give a shit  about the club and if our players of the last few years had shown the same level of determination that he did I know we'd still be in the premiership.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2017, 04:44:42 PM »
Why did he leave us for soton?

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2017, 07:19:57 PM »
As many have said, he is a lovely guy and really cares about the club.
He told me that he was given very bad financial advice.

Offline FrankyH

• GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2017, 07:43:25 PM »

I think Saunders told him he was going.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2017, 08:26:50 PM »

He beat Ron Saunders at golf.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2017, 08:40:26 AM »
Scored in his last game for us.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2017, 04:41:17 PM »

Spot on.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2017, 04:54:38 PM »
Scored in his last game for us.

That I think was the last game of the wonderful 76-77 season, and that night we tore Albion apart.  You'll see in that line up three proper strikers - Gray, Little and Deehan - and something that sadly wasn't able to happen too often, Cowans and Cropley playing together in midfield, with Mortimer.  To send out a team that was able to play so effectively, and with such flair and speed, wouldn't have been possible without a real leader at the back - Chris Nichol.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2017, 07:05:42 PM »

I think Saunders told him he was going.

Saunders got shot of captain after captain Ian Ross Chris and Leighton Phillips.

Have mixed views of chris as a footballer not the greatest centre half but could and did carry the ball out of defence. I still think mcnaught was lucky he had Evans beside him

That goal at Old Trafford one of the best moments in my life

Offline thick_mike

• GM : 26.02.2025
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2017, 07:12:32 PM »
That goal was one of the most memorable moments of my villa infatuation. I was ten years old and listening to the match on BRMB with Tony Butler telling us all to get our prayer mats out. I was kneeling on the living room floor with my head on the settee, it was my superstitious lucky position and I sat there through both replays with my feet going numb. The goal went in, Butler went mad and I jumped around the floor with floppy feet that didn't work properly.

Didn't he get a contact lens knocked out in the celebration too?

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2017, 07:22:09 PM »
That team with Chris, Dennis, Brian, Andy, Alex and Sid ...what would I give to have players of that calibre in out team today?

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2017, 01:58:37 PM »
That was tough viewing last night, hope he has family who have since taken him to get a proper diagnosis, was quite stunned that he hadn't sought any medical or professional help as indeed was Shearer.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal