collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Keith Wyness  (Read 140284 times)

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Keith Wyness
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2017, 12:48:11 PM »
Last season was always going to be a big ask whoever was in charge, we were in an absolute mess.

Newcastle were in a mess too but they fairly well stormed back up while getting rid of Sissoko, Wijnaldum etc. Benitez had a plan though and his signings clearly reflected that.

They did keep their very good manager and were no where near as bad as we were.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2017, 02:52:33 PM »
Last season was always going to be a big ask whoever was in charge, we were in an absolute mess.

Newcastle were in a mess too but they fairly well stormed back up while getting rid of Sissoko, Wijnaldum etc. Benitez had a plan though and his signings clearly reflected that.

Was Newcastle's squad that much better than ours should have been by the end of last summer?

RDM fucked up because he didn't left some gaps in the squad and then we, as a club, compounded it by changing direction after 11 games and going with a manager who wasn't suited to the squad we had.

Bruce then scattered money around in January trying to make it more like his sort of squad but left himself with very little to spend this summer and us with 3-4 signings that just don't fit because he didn't plan out how he wanted the players to fit in.  He made similar mistakes this summer which is why, for the last few weeks our left side has been a right back and a right winger.  Both have done a decent job but because we have no one who can cross with their left foot we're really predictable on that side on the pitch.

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2017, 03:33:04 PM »
The jury is out. I've heard him talking the usual PR bollocks but but ultimately it's a results business and he will be judged on how his decisions have impacted our results and progress.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2017, 05:28:35 PM »
My concern with Wyness is that he doesn't see himself as accountable for all that much. He is an arch delegator.

Not making much out of merchandising? Outsource it.
Need to have a football philosophy at the club? Bring in Round.

I have met him a couple of times and he is a nice bloke but he certainly isn't a hands on Chief Exec by any stretch.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2017, 08:59:55 PM »

Was Newcastle's squad that much better than ours should have been by the end of last summer?

RDM fucked up because he didn't left some gaps in the squad and then we, as a club, compounded it by changing direction after 11 games and going with a manager who wasn't suited to the squad we had.

Bruce then scattered money around in January trying to make it more like his sort of squad but left himself with very little to spend this summer and us with 3-4 signings that just don't fit because he didn't plan out how he wanted the players to fit in.  He made similar mistakes this summer which is why, for the last few weeks our left side has been a right back and a right winger.  Both have done a decent job but because we have no one who can cross with their left foot we're really predictable on that side on the pitch.

Gayle and JonJo Shelvey were much better players in their positions than what we had.

Offline Canadian Villa

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2017, 09:24:28 PM »
My concern with Wyness is that he doesn't see himself as accountable for all that much. He is an arch delegator.

Not making much out of merchandising? Outsource it.
Need to have a football philosophy at the club? Bring in Round.

I have met him a couple of times and he is a nice bloke but he certainly isn't a hands on Chief Exec by any stretch.

That to me sounds like a good CEO. He cant do everything on his own so he needs to bring in people to do it. Most clubs outsource a lot of their merchandising and other work. Saves having a huge workforce. I'm concerned if he is making the right business decision when making decisions. 

Online paul_e

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2017, 10:19:21 PM »

Gayle and JonJo Shelvey were much better players in their positions than what we had.

Gayle 'much better' than Kodjia, really?

Shelvey is shit but I'll give you that our midfield was pathetic at the start of last season so you're correct.  If we'd used the Fat Ross money on a decent centre midfielder though I think we could've bridged that one fairly easily.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2017, 11:02:38 PM »
Shelvey isn't s*** but he does have a big attitude problem. Let's remember we started last season with Tishbola, Westwood, Gary Gardner and Bacuna as our central midfield options.

I was more basing it on what we started the season with. Gestede, Ayew etc. Decent players but we couldn't get the best out of them.

Newcastle got off to a good start (after losing the first two they won their next six I think) we didn't and the damage was done.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2017, 02:46:52 PM »
Does anyone have a email address for Keith Wyness?
I've tried the @avfc.co.uk route and it's bounced back

He has a twitter account if that helps.

Not really, it's a private email I need to send

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2017, 02:47:31 PM »
in exile
what you want to ask him then

Trying to get you banned from Villa Park

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2017, 02:57:15 PM »

Snodgrass can cross with his left foot but does so from the right side of the pitch. I have frothed at the mouth against Fulham and Wednesday as he keeps cutting inside to his left foot but have been told he refuses to play on the left. Is that correct?

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2017, 03:14:26 PM »
He doesn't refuse, he just isn't as effective and prefers the right.

Offline Canadian Villa

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2017, 04:54:23 PM »
Does anyone have a email address for Keith Wyness?
I've tried the @avfc.co.uk route and it's bounced back

He has a twitter account if that helps.

Not really, it's a private email I need to send

Tweet at him and ask for contact details. I'm sure that what you want to say is very important to you, but may be not to him

Online paul_e

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2017, 05:35:39 PM »
Shelvey isn't s*** but he does have a big attitude problem. Let's remember we started last season with Tishbola, Westwood, Gary Gardner and Bacuna as our central midfield options.

I was more basing it on what we started the season with. Gestede, Ayew etc. Decent players but we couldn't get the best out of them.

Newcastle got off to a good start (after losing the first two they won their next six I think) we didn't and the damage was done.

Shelvey is shit, why he's shit is questionable but his record and most of his performances are shit, 1 good game in 10-15 when he can be bothered doesn't change that.

Are you differentiating between start of the season and end of the summer window because I think that's a pretty strange way to look at it.  Kodjia missed, because of the time he signed, about 3-4 games, not insignificant but not enough that you can discount him as being part of the squad we went into the season with.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2017, 08:41:28 AM »
"We will get up eventually "   I am sure leeds and forest have thought that for years.

This year or we could be adrift a while

Leeds and Forest also had to endure relegations to League One to enjoy promotion success.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal