collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa v Rangers 1976 - reaction  (Read 12360 times)

Offline kippaxvilla2

Villa v Rangers 1976 - reaction
« on: November 05, 2017, 04:51:26 PM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2tcNb3WFBTY

Animals is right.  Anyone remember this....

Offline rim gk

Re: Villa v Rangers 1976 - reaction
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 05:00:27 PM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2tcNb3WFBTY

Animals is right.  Anyone remember this....
is that locals from yew tree road? Station road?

Offline rim gk

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 05:10:42 PM »
The odd thing is there commonsthings which are shared between Glasgow Rangers and us. They are ready we're prepared, the lion on the badge, they have a similar mosaic to us, villa have big historical links in our foundation and formation as we all know.  Most villa from what I've seen identify more with rangers than celtic.  Now down the Sty there's some blues who also support rangers, they get stick of the other noses as they say your are following villa's sister club, I wouldn't even call it a cousin club, shared heritage at the most.

Online thick_mike

• GM : 26.02.2025
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 05:17:30 PM »
The odd thing is there commonsthings which are shared between Glasgow Rangers and us. They are ready we're prepared, the lion on the badge, they have a similar mosaic to us, villa have big historical links in our foundation and formation as we all know.  Most villa from what I've seen identify more with rangers than celtic.  Now down the Sty there's some blues who also support rangers, they get stick of the other noses as they say your are following villa's sister club, I wouldn't even call it a cousin club, shared heritage at the most.

Really? I've never thought we had any supporter allegiances with rangers over Celtic. My data is limited to the half and half woolly hats that used to be worn in the 80s, and the Celtic/Rangers chants that used to be sung from the Holte End.

I was Left side/Celtic/Tiswas...someone here has the same in their sig.

Online Rico

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 05:28:10 PM »
Although I wasn't at that match, I was talking to a Rangers fan recently (he claims to have been at the match) about this. His take on it was that it was the Villa fans who kicked off all of the trouble by displaying Celtic and Ireland flags during the match. It was a version of events that I have never heard before. Can anyone else confirm this story?

Offline rim gk

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 05:30:39 PM »
Although I wasn't at that match, I was talking to a Rangers fan recently (he claims to have been at the match) about this. His take on it was that it was the Villa fans who kicked off all of the trouble by displaying Celtic and Ireland flags during the match. It was a version of events that I have never heard before. Can anyone else confirm this story?
I've heard the same by more than one person. Any one remember the tri colour that used to hang over the upper trinity. Used to say roxy or something. Rangers came for trouble if it hadnt been the tri colour would  have been something else.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 05:34:45 PM by rim gk »

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 05:31:35 PM »

I was there, and it's total rubbish.

Online Rico

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 05:34:08 PM »
Thought so, but couldn't dispute it having not been there. He seemed pretty convinced of its truth though to be fair.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 06:20:51 PM »
They had rioted at Wolves, Newcastle and Barcelona prior to the Villa match and they rioted in Manchester city centre not too long back - the stuff about Celtic tops and Irish flags is pure garbage.  They're like the Blosers on steroids when it comes to knuckle-dragging fuckwittery.

Offline lennythekad

• GM : 25.01.2023
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 07:20:57 PM »

I was there, and it's total rubbish.

The incident the Rangers fan was on about was at half time , when a Villa fan ran out of the Witton End to the half way line, waving a Celtic scarf at the Rangers fans in the Holte End. A few Rangers fans in the Trinity enclosure, ran on to attack him, but he spotted them coming, and sprinted back to the Witton End, with them in hot pursuit. ( he made it back).
It may have inflamed the situation, but to say that was the trigger for the trouble is nonsense. It had kicked off in the early hours in the city centre.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 07:25:41 PM by lennythekad »

Offline class-of-82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 07:34:58 PM »
i was there and a group of lads in the middle of the witton end unfurled a tricolour flag just after carrodus I think scored the 2nd goal but it didn't really matter as it was going to go off big style no matter what the flag or the score

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 07:02:04 AM »
The story about the Tricolour is correct, as a daft 16 year old I know as it was me and a mate who unfurled it onto the pitch, but it was just in the corner of the Witton and the Trinity, there was loads of them in the Trinity upper throwing beer cans at us and there had been loads of problems way before that.
We also unfurled it on Witton lane after the game had been abandoned, ask Carl Chinn he reminds me everytime I see him now when I am back in the country.
There had been trouble in town from the Thursday, I worked in town at the time and walking around at lunch time was like being in Glasgow, plus on the day of the game what alot people do not mention, is quite a few of our 12 toed neighbours from Small Heath joined up with the merry band of Huns that had come to Aston that Saturday.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 01:02:43 PM »
I was barred from going as a daft 16 year old provably the wisest thing my mum and dad ever stopped me from doing

Offline anonymous

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 05:59:08 PM »
Ill try and give some info on this game as I remember it, from a kind of inside view
At around 10 is in the morning the club was informed by the police that around 10,000 + Rangers fans had travelled over night to B/ham and were hanging around the ground and surrounding streets.
The club opened the doors on their request, and they went into the Holte.

That got the main group off the streets, in town it was lively and some pubs closed as did most around the ground

When Villa fans turned up and tried to take their place in the Holte, they where given a hard time to put it mild

Villa went onto the then open Witton end

There was many fights on the Holte soon after Villa scored, as bottles were being thrown from the back but not reaching the pitch, but hitting their own fans, there were many Rangers fans getting first aid for head wounds

The then minister of sport Denis Howell was at the game, being based in the midlands he often enjoyed the freeby.

There were a few minor pitch invasions but after Villa's second goal a huge invasion happened and the game was abandened

Yes an Irish. flag was seen a few times and a Rangers Director talking with Howell tried to blame that on the trouble, as you can imagine the Rangers people would have been quite embarressed, and needed a scapgoat, bottm line is that was going to happen irrespective of what flags were on display.

the official numbers were 1400 Rangers there, made up with around 10,000 from Scotland, and Corby being the most talked about largest english group

For the record the town was lively again in the night and the locals had one or two scores to settle

Online thick_mike

• GM : 26.02.2025
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2017, 06:31:37 PM »
Ill try and give some info on this game as I remember it, from a kind of inside view
At around 10 is in the morning the club was informed by the police that around 10,000 + Rangers fans had travelled over night to B/ham and were hanging around the ground and surrounding streets.
The club opened the doors on their request, and they went into the Holte.

That got the main group off the streets, in town it was lively and some pubs closed as did most around the ground

When Villa fans turned up and tried to take their place in the Holte, they where given a hard time to put it mild

Villa went onto the then open Witton end

There was many fights on the Holte soon after Villa scored, as bottles were being thrown from the back but not reaching the pitch, but hitting their own fans, there were many Rangers fans getting first aid for head wounds

The then minister of sport Denis Howell was at the game, being based in the midlands he often enjoyed the freeby.

There were a few minor pitch invasions but after Villa's second goal a huge invasion happened and the game was abandened

Yes an Irish. flag was seen a few times and a Rangers Director talking with Howell tried to blame that on the trouble, as you can imagine the Rangers people would have been quite embarressed, and needed a scapgoat, bottm line is that was going to happen irrespective of what flags were on display.

the official numbers were 1400 Rangers there, made up with around 10,000 from Scotland, and Corby being the most talked about largest english group

For the record the town was lively again in the night and the locals had one or two scores to settle

Just wanted to post this photo as a way of saying Happy Birthday to the great man. From your previous post it seems you might be in a position to pass on our good wishes to a true villa legend!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal