collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Sheffield Wednesday Post-Match Thread  (Read 22366 times)

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Aston Villa v Sheffield Wednesday Post-Match Thread
« Reply #165 on: November 05, 2017, 07:00:08 PM »
Have you considered the possibility that, maybe just maybe rim gk is perhaps on a wind up?

And if he was, what would be the point in that? Surely people are not that bored.
in their world people like us don't exist, that's why they think we're just a wind up.
People like what exactly?

Offline rim gk

« Reply #166 on: November 05, 2017, 07:10:14 PM »
Have you considered the possibility that, maybe just maybe rim gk is perhaps on a wind up?

And if he was, what would be the point in that? Surely people are not that bored.
in their world people like us don't exist, that's why they think we're just a wind up.
People like what exactly?
the working man who like to have a laugh and a pint at football on Saturdays.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #167 on: November 05, 2017, 07:27:29 PM »
Read a report this morning saying he's looking to offload Hogan, Bree, Lansbury and Grealish.

Well he purchased 3 of those for something not far off £20m less than 1 year ago. If it was my money I would not be happy with him at all.

Me neither.  Bree and Lansbury can't get in the squad at the moment (though the latter is recovering from injury) and it looks increasingly like it just isn't going to happen for Hogan.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #168 on: November 05, 2017, 07:38:58 PM »
Read a report this morning saying he's looking to offload Hogan, Bree, Lansbury and Grealish.

Well he purchased 3 of those for something not far off £20m less than 1 year ago. If it was my money I would not be happy with him at all.

“We” purchased them. The recruitment and retention policy is likely to continue in a similar way whoever is manager if Wyness and Round are to be believed.

None of them have established themselves as first choice players, and all except Grealish were signed under Bruce's tenure.  I can only imagine that either Bruce wanted them in but doesn't know what to do with them, or has realised they aren't as good as he thought.  Or else he didn't have the final say on signing them and perhaps never wanted them and they were Round and Wyness influenced signings.  The latter would indicate a mismatch between what Bruce wants and what Round and Wyness are doing.  Even without FFP restrictions it's beyond daft if we have either of those situations wasting our money.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #169 on: November 05, 2017, 08:29:53 PM »
#booze #ladz #bantz #ladzbantz

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #170 on: November 06, 2017, 07:12:58 AM »
When teams press us, fast and hard, we have not got the guile within the team, or the speed to get the ball into advantageous positions, every defeat this season has seen teams work us out very quickly, stick to their plan as they know we will not alter things enough to change the outcome.
Please no one mention, "But in the second half we had them on the back foot", just as we did at Preston, the foot came of the accelerator and they cruised to a Villa park win.

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #171 on: November 06, 2017, 10:29:05 AM »

Bree's only 19 for goodness sake and clearly has potential gotta give him at least another 12 months.

Me neither.  Bree and Lansbury can't get in the squad at the moment (though the latter is recovering from injury) and it looks increasingly like it just isn't going to happen for Hogan.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #172 on: November 06, 2017, 10:49:20 AM »
It would be absolute madness to "offload" Grealish and Bree.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #173 on: November 06, 2017, 11:23:03 AM »

Bree's only 19 for goodness sake and clearly has potential gotta give him at least another 12 months.

Agree and just surmising, but I just wonder if he wants to offer Hutton and Elmo new deals and thinks (or has been told) that he needs to offload one of the other right-backs in the squad first. 

I must admit that I was surprised to see Bree and Lansbury being linked with moves away to be honest. 

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #174 on: November 06, 2017, 11:24:51 AM »
It would be absolute madness to "offload" Grealish and Bree.

The only bright spot for me on Saturday was the return of Grealish. He looked a cut above every other attacking player on the pitch. It’d be mental to sell him, not that I think we are though.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #175 on: November 06, 2017, 12:32:44 PM »
Lansbury is shit. I hope that bit is true

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #176 on: November 06, 2017, 12:39:18 PM »
I think we can count ourselves unlucky to a certain degree; already missing a couple of key players we then a brilliant one in hundred goal in the first few seconds followed by an injury to our most important defender and another goal almost immediately afterwards before we had reorganised. Results elsewhere show that we are not alone in finding it difficult and that predictions for Maybare a little futile in October and November.

The disappointing thing was the failure to impose ourselves consistently after that. We had a go for 10 minutes after half time but couldn’t sustain it. The international break has come at just the right time.

I think it is probably time to accept that Hogan is not going to make it here, use him to raise some money for a January replacement. The explanations being put forward for his lack of contributions are looking less convincing with each appearance and we just do not have the time to persevere.

This seems a fair and accurate to me.  The failure for us to impose ourselves was, I think, self inflicted.

As my wife pointed out, Bruce sees the same game we do but then has a brain freeze when it comes to sorting it out. 

The timing of the 1st substitution followed by constant chopping and changing of who was playing where certainly didn't help: O'hare and Hogan doing some sort of total football rotation leading to the final Lambertesque Bradford bit of comedy gold when we ended up playing with Samba up front along with Hutton and Adomah out of position was just farcical.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #177 on: November 06, 2017, 12:52:49 PM »
Clueless absolutely clueless, from the Manager to the players. Why oh why oh why change a winning formation. Handed the freedom of Villa Park to the Wednesday midfield by playing 4-4-2. Oh and that right back had Adomah in his pocket, I’d imagine Albert has only just got out! Dear oh dear.

We’ve been moaning at him to stop playing one up front at home.  When he doesn’t he gets criticised.  We missed Josh’s energy today and I doubt he would’ve changed it if it hadn’t been for his injury.  Fcukin injuries piss me off.

I haven’t been moaning at him for playing 1 up at home, in fact I’d prefer it if we kept it at 1 up front for all games. What’s the point in agitating for a  2 up front little man big man combo when it’s proven to not work as our midfield isn’t athletic or creative enough to compete with only 2 in the middle of the pitch.

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #178 on: November 06, 2017, 01:06:10 PM »
Clueless absolutely clueless, from the Manager to the players. Why oh why oh why change a winning formation. Handed the freedom of Villa Park to the Wednesday midfield by playing 4-4-2. Oh and that right back had Adomah in his pocket, I’d imagine Albert has only just got out! Dear oh dear.

We’ve been moaning at him to stop playing one up front at home.  When he doesn’t he gets criticised.  We missed Josh’s energy today and I doubt he would’ve changed it if it hadn’t been for his injury.  Fcukin injuries piss me off.

I haven’t been moaning at him for playing 1 up at home, in fact I’d prefer it if we kept it at 1 up front for all games. What’s the point in agitating for a  2 up front little man big man combo when it’s proven to not work as our midfield isn’t athletic or creative enough to compete with only 2 in the middle of the pitch.

Agreed

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #179 on: November 06, 2017, 01:13:43 PM »
Bruce fucked up playing two in midfield on Saturday, especially when one of the two was a 33 year old who'd already played two games that week. They had far far too much space in the middle in the first half.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal