collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Preston North End v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread  (Read 17327 times)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: Preston North End v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread
« Reply #165 on: November 03, 2017, 09:46:06 AM »
It's called free speech, that quaint old concept of a democracy where people have equal voices, and whilst I don't agree with him or her, they have every right to an opinion that differs from mine.

I don't think anyone is questioning that, it was more a query about why they would bother to voice that opinion on another club's forum.

I know the number of posts might be a clue but he's been here before under different circumstances! That's Mr Amfy! That post is the result of a conversation we had when I said how delighted everyone was with the performance and he said he didn't think it was that good and Villa, not only with the resources, but the actual players we've got, should be doing much better. The post is actually made, in a way, partially as a Villa fan. Read it again in that context and it's not so far off what some of us post on other weeks!

For my part I realised that whilst I am generally not as distraught/angry at poor performances as some others on here, and can usually find something to be positive about, I am exactly the same about good ones & it's just that I don't think in extremes. I thought we started brilliantly but faded badly and Preston could have got back into the game if they had been able to risk throwing everything forward more - but with 3/4 of the defence out they couldn't. I saw a game where we showed what we are capable of in patches, and in patches, it was better than what we've seen before. However, just like any other week I'd say a 'better' (or less injury hit) side were given enough opportunities by errors and failure to press to have got back into that game.

I do think we are starting to be more 2 steps forward one back than the other way around. It's a steady improvement and I'm happy if a little bored.
I think Mr Amfy is bang on: Ifelt the same as I walked away. We should have put PNE to the sword, and we didn't because our control of the football was really poor at times. Players that should have more influence on the game – Hourihane and Snodgrass – we mediocre. We have a long way to go; but, at least, we’re facing in the right direction now.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #166 on: November 03, 2017, 09:51:51 AM »
Villa gave a competant performance last night. Before you all get carried away you might want to consider that you beat a team 2-0, were just about matched in the second half ( btw Davies should have seen red) by a team that cost £1.5M to put together. The crowd of 14k last night was an above average gate (we only came to see the Villa of course) so we will never compete in gate receipts and we are not too far behind in the league, add to that we are suffering a drop in form and had 4 first choice defenders out and still managed to keep it to 2 puts the “ brilliant” Villa display in perspective.

A fair result, but Villa are a long way off being a promtion side.

You obviously make some very true points about resources and injuries such as Preston are suffering do make it very difficult, but to say that you almost matched us in the 2nd half is frankly a little deluded. You didn't even muster a half chance all game and the second half was tantamount to a training ground stroll for us.

The yellow for Davis was fair as there was no malicious intent, and it wasn't an elbow. I do think you probably should have had a penalty in the 1st half in fairness.

I think to say that we are a long way from being a promotion side is a little odd. We've lost one game in 12, from which we have collected 25 points. We've kept 7 clean sheets in the last 10 games. That's clearly the form of a side which will be pushing for promotion.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #167 on: November 03, 2017, 09:59:38 AM »
It's called free speech, that quaint old concept of a democracy where people have equal voices, and whilst I don't agree with him or her, they have every right to an opinion that differs from mine.

I don't think anyone is questioning that, it was more a query about why they would bother to voice that opinion on another club's forum.

I know the number of posts might be a clue but he's been here before under different circumstances! That's Mr Amfy! That post is the result of a conversation we had when I said how delighted everyone was with the performance and he said he didn't think it was that good and Villa, not only with the resources, but the actual players we've got, should be doing much better. The post is actually made, in a way, partially as a Villa fan. Read it again in that context and it's not so far off what some of us post on other weeks!

For my part I realised that whilst I am generally not as distraught/angry at poor performances as some others on here, and can usually find something to be positive about, I am exactly the same about good ones & it's just that I don't think in extremes. I thought we started brilliantly but faded badly and Preston could have got back into the game if they had been able to risk throwing everything forward more - but with 3/4 of the defence out they couldn't. I saw a game where we showed what we are capable of in patches, and in patches, it was better than what we've seen before. However, just like any other week I'd say a 'better' (or less injury hit) side were given enough opportunities by errors and failure to press to have got back into that game.

I do think we are starting to be more 2 steps forward one back than the other way around. It's a steady improvement and I'm happy if a little bored.
I think Mr Amfy is bang on: Ifelt the same as I walked away. We should have put PNE to the sword, and we didn't because our control of the football was really poor at times. Players that should have more influence on the game – Hourihane and Snodgrass – we mediocre. We have a long way to go; but, at least, we’re facing in the right direction now.

What exactly are we expecting from the Championship? The teams that got promoted last season didn’t do it by playing scintillating, edge of your seat football every week. They did it through being efficient in the areas that matter and better than their opponents a sufficient number of times throughout the season. That means defensive solidity and taking  enough of the chances created to get the points. When you consider that the majority had played in a highly charged derby a few days earlier to respond so positively was really encouraging. Do it again tomorrow and it will have been a great week.

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #168 on: November 03, 2017, 11:00:22 AM »
Whisper it Stu but we have some bloody good youngsters to bring on.
I was disappointed that O'Hare didn't make the bench last night. He was one of our few decent players at Wolves and has just scored a hat-trick for the u23's

agreed

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #169 on: November 04, 2017, 08:36:21 PM »
Fine performance and result.

Was this the most negative bench of seven in our history? One keeper, three defenders, a defensive midfielder, a non-creative midfielder and a non-scoring striker!!

Not much game-changing potential there!

Where were Grealish and O'Hare?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal