collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Preston North End v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread  (Read 17422 times)

Offline Deano's Mullet

Re: Preston North End v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2017, 09:55:36 PM »
Thats a great performance, cant remember the last time I was so relaxed watching Villa. Back four dealt with everything and midfield simply bossed it. That's up there with the two Brighton performances from last season although Preston obviously did have their injuries. Still you can only beat whats in front of you and they've only lost at home something like 3 times all calender year. Onwards and upwards.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2017, 09:55:53 PM »
Looked like a team tonight.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2017, 09:55:55 PM »
And looks as though we have found a very good left back in Mr Hutton.

I am still boggling about this!

Offline supertom

« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2017, 09:56:18 PM »
Good performance. We're clicking now. Good all round from everyone. Terry's not my favourite person but he's been rock solid of late. A class apart, and Chester too.

I wanna give props too, to a guy who is still a little maligned. Mr Alan Hutton. He's had his ups and downs it's fair to say in 6 years here. But any time it seems like he's on the scrap heap, managers keep coming back to him. The fact he's in and playing at left back also says a lot. He's not the best player in the world by any stretch but I've a lot of time for Hutts because he's a proper trooper. Model pro and we've had dozens of absolute shysters come and go during his time here. We've seen people waste away and disappear in a cloud of fart, or players just drift off in shame and disappointment. As much as some want to see the back of him, I actually think all told he's been one of the best buys of the last 6 years. That's not to say he's been a huge success. But even in the darker times he's just kept on plugging away. He doesn't hide and he's kept himself in good nick. He might shank crosses into row z but for large periods in his time here he's been treated like our main playmaker (such was the tactical ineptitude of many of our managers). 
He wasn't even the best player today, but he was solid, pleasingly quiet today and got on with his job. Our horrible last season in the top flight he was one of maybe 2-3 players who could look at themselves in the mirror and say they gave enough. I for one don't want to see the back of Hutton. He annoys me sometimes I'll admit, but I love his attitude and he's a credit to the club.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2017, 09:56:45 PM »
solid win again, should have made it a lot more comfortable but looked rock solid at the back

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2017, 09:59:41 PM »
Keep up the good work.

Win on Saturday and sets us up nicely to consolidate Top 6.

Onwards after international break

Offline jwarry

« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2017, 10:01:03 PM »
Good performance. We're clicking now. Good all round from everyone. Terry's not my favourite person but he's been rock solid of late. A class apart, and Chester too.

I wanna give props too, to a guy who is still a little maligned. Mr Alan Hutton. He's had his ups and downs it's fair to say in 6 years here. But any time it seems like he's on the scrap heap, managers keep coming back to him. The fact he's in and playing at left back also says a lot. He's not the best player in the world by any stretch but I've a lot of time for Hutts because he's a proper trooper. Model pro and we've had dozens of absolute shysters come and go during his time here. We've seen people waste away and disappear in a cloud of fart, or players just drift off in shame and disappointment. As much as some want to see the back of him, I actually think all told he's been one of the best buys of the last 6 years. That's not to say he's been a huge success. But even in the darker times he's just kept on plugging away. He doesn't hide and he's kept himself in good nick. He might shank crosses into row z but for large periods in his time here he's been treated like our main playmaker (such was the tactical ineptitude of many of our managers). 
He wasn't even the best player today, but he was solid, pleasingly quiet today and got on with his job. Our horrible last season in the top flight he was one of maybe 2-3 players who could look at themselves in the mirror and say they gave enough. I for one don't want to see the back of Hutton. He annoys me sometimes I'll admit, but I love his attitude and he's a credit to the club.

But would you have his babies?

Offline supertom

« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2017, 10:03:52 PM »

We'd end up with sprogs looking like Sloth from Goonies, but yes...I would have his babies.

Offline Steve kirk

« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2017, 10:04:07 PM »
Just had a chat to my 2 sons who went, said we looked very assured, we are finally looking like a proper team, beat Wednesday and were right in the mix for promotion.

Offline postal

« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2017, 10:04:15 PM »
Good win, and I agree with what was said about Hutton, a team player if there ever was one.

Solid team  performance.

And the so-called expert pundit David Prutton knows naffing.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 10:25:15 PM by postal »

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2017, 10:04:36 PM »
Good stuff.  On the whole we'd won the game by half-time, so the second half really was about keeping them out and hitting them on the break.  Thought we did that well and could have got a couple more.  As for the players, thought Johnstone did the little he had to do well, back four was solid again with Chester and Terry hardly putting a foot wrong, Whelan had one of his best games for the club so far, Hourihane had his moments here and there, Adomah was a threat but just couldn't quite put away his chances, Snodgrass was a bit of a mixed bag but chipped in with a goal and assist and Davis was a real threat throughout.

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2017, 10:05:29 PM »
I hold my hands up and say fair play to Bruce. That's the best and most complete away performance we've had against a 'decent' side.

Davis offers so much more to the team than Kodjia. He's a presence, he holds the ball up, he passes the ball and brings team mates into the game.

Terry is a class above at this level. He makes it all look so easy and walks through games.

"We're going up and the shit are going down..."

UTV

Offline Proposition Joe

« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2017, 10:08:43 PM »
Will take that all day long.  We were in cruise control for pretty much the whole second half.  It's great to have a reliable defence, and I enjoyed watching Terry today and his reading of the game - when he goes in, when he stands off.

3 out of the next 4 at home, so this decent run should continue for a while yet (hopefully Sunderland will stay dysfunctional and not have a new manager bounce at VP in a couple of weeks).

Offline jwarry

« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2017, 10:09:25 PM »
Good solid performance tonight. I suspect other teams will now be giving us some respect

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2017, 10:09:38 PM »

We'd end up with sprogs looking like Sloth from Goonies, but yes...I would have his babies.
That head down charge through the middle towards the end was a thing of beauty.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal