collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:36:44 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:32:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Paul.S
[Today at 07:27:19 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[Today at 07:23:43 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:23:42 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 07:22:15 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Small Heath memories  (Read 13561 times)

Offline Wearie Willie

Re: Small Heath memories
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2017, 10:22:11 PM »
That was my first derby game too, was only about 10 and was taken by my uncle who was a blue nose, we sat up in the old railway, sitting amongst the noses while they were being turned over by the villa was fantastic, still my favourite ever derby match.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2017, 11:11:56 PM »
My first game down at the tip was the league cup first leg in 1988.

I remember the most intimidating thing about the place was the approach to the Tilton across the barren wasteland that was there before the flats. It looked like some kind of concentration camp.

Other than that, a routine 2-0 win with Andy Gray smashing the ball between the keepers legs from outside the box.

The real fun started in the home leg.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2017, 07:44:42 AM »
21/12/87, the chaos getting in, further chaos inside, "Baldwin is a Goose", skinheads in sheepskins and Bruno's two bullet headers.

I've been to the Small Heath club shop twice. Once to buy their club video of that game in December 1987 a few weeks later as I was in Australia at the time it was played and once to buy my old man a Small Heath shirt with 'Grandad' on the back for his first Father's Day as a grandad.
you still goy the game upload it, loads of villa got in to thier end.

I've got the December '87 game and the 5-0 and 6-0 games in 1988 on VHS.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2017, 07:55:11 AM »
I've only been there twice.

The first time was in 1971, for a Youth Cup match.  We had Little and Gidman in our side, they had Francis and I think Gallagher, and maybe Burns.  That game ended 1-1 in front of 21,000.  We won the replay at VP in front of 19,000 on a night of torrential rain.

The second and last time I went there was in 1976, a 2-3 defeat.

I watched a Villa v Liverpool game (either in the DOL or SGT MkII era) live on SKY with Joe Gallagher at the Solihull Borough football club. We were the only two people in there. An old workmate of mine went to school with his daughter. Apparently she was the hottest girl in school and went on to be a lapdancer. Shame I wasn't watching the game with her.

I used to know Kenny Burns' son when he used to come into the betting shop I used to manage. He had a great nickname amongst his mates.

'Burnsy'.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 07:58:34 AM by Damo70 »

Offline Tom_Mc9?

• GM : 28.08.2024
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2017, 09:02:13 AM »
Collins goal when we drew 1 1 was incredible, massive outpouring of relief when that went in, they were singing about us going down that game. LOL

This is the opposite of Small Heath memories but I had absolutely no recollection of that happening. I had to look up the game on YouTube to see what you were going on about.

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2017, 02:37:43 PM »
Born in Small Heath, grew up in Balsall Heath and could see the floodlights from the house, we lived in a maisonette, so if I am honest games at Sty Andrews were from a very early age, one of the first ones that stick in the mind was the Youth cup one mentioned earlier, but have watched the Villa there from every stand they have, including the Kop.
Also some of their maniacs, which go back alot further than the Lulu's, Mc Carthy, Kevin O'Neil, meeting up with the likes of the Greek, Groombridge, Al Stevens , the Northfield Villa and Quinton Villa, I think may have even been before the Steamers days, oh the memories and I still hate the six fingered inbred bastards.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2017, 03:34:54 PM »

The first time was in 1971, for a Youth Cup match.  We had Little and Gidman in our side, they had Francis and I think Gallagher, and maybe Burns.  That game ended 1-1 in front of 21,000.  We won the replay at VP in front of 19,000 on a night of torrential rain.

I watched a Villa v Liverpool game (either in the DOL or SGT MkII era) live on SKY with Joe Gallagher at the Solihull Borough football club. We were the only two people in there. An old workmate of mine went to school with his daughter. Apparently she was the hottest girl in school and went on to be a lapdancer. Shame I wasn't watching the game with her.

I used to know Kenny Burns' son when he used to come into the betting shop I used to manage. He had a great nickname amongst his mates.

'Burnsy'.

Hey, nothing wrong with that nickname pal!

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2017, 03:43:17 PM »
My first was the one a the Sty around Christmas 83??  I was in the Tilton with my older brother as he felt it would be safer for me.   We lost 3-0 and there were coins flying out of the Villa end. 

Offline rim gk

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2017, 04:53:47 PM »
My first was the one a the Sty around Christmas 83??  I was in the Tilton with my older brother as he felt it would be safer for me.   We lost 3-0 and there were coins flying out of the Villa end.
boxing day 82?

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2017, 08:54:53 PM »

'Burnsy'.
If anyone can be bothered to google it and stick it up on here, there's a fantastic picture of Kenny Burns in a forest kit with his left bollock hanging out of his shorts.

"You've poppped out again Alan"

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2017, 10:24:57 PM »
Hated that scruffy git morw

Offline FrankyH

• GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2017, 10:47:54 PM »
I was at the sty when Gary Thompson got a brace , and didn't think I would ever go to another football match with such an evil atmosphere, until of course the  03/03/03  debacle .
My favourite memory, which I may have posted before, was when the 5th goal went in to cap off the 5-1 massacre.I got a little nervous when Forsell got one back to make it 4-1 ,but my abiding memory of that game is when the 5th goal went in. I was in a sea of Villa fans going absolutely ape shit , I turned round to see my mate making that gesture boxing referees do to indicate the losing boxer has taken to much punishment and the fight is over.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2017, 01:59:23 AM »

Offline rim gk

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2017, 09:18:02 AM »
Was 82 or 83 when blues villa was shown on star soccer on the Sunday. The game from the Sty when someone produced a c crew flag and it all kicked off.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2017, 01:17:52 PM »
boxing day 82?

Just looked it up, Dec 27th 1982.  So I was 8......not sure I would subject my 8 year old to that!!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal