collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Small Heath memories  (Read 13559 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Small Heath memories
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 08:07:03 PM »
Hate the actual games. Love the final whistle if we've won.

Offline shirley_villan

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 08:16:55 PM »
Only in my twenties so favourite memories are doing the doue in 05/6 after the humiliation of the early years when they got promoted and then the late winners at their place. 5-1 was just funny but was then soured by the event after.

Be watching this one in Saigon and will be the first I've missed at the sty since 2005. Come on you Villa boys!

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2017, 08:50:48 PM »
Doubt if I’m alone but I absolutely hate this fixture.

Home or away I feel physically sick until the final whistle. The only exception was when we scored the 5th in the 5-1 thrashing.

Same here .When Forsell got one back to make it 4-1 ? I started  getting nervous about an unlikely comeback.
Same. I remember there was an air of nervousness for a few minutes after their goal, we all know what Villa are capable of.

My first SHA game was the 3-0 in '02 as a 15 year old, I was gutted. There were no noses in my year at school but the next day I got so much stick as all the Albion, Wolves and even Walsall fans lined up to have a laugh at us losing to little old Small Heath. Same again for the infamous 03/03/03 game. Easily the most evil atmosphere I've seen, and ever will see, at home or away.

Favourite memories: Kevin Phillips and the sheer relief and emotion at finally doing them over. Gary Cahill. 5-1. Gabby x2 at The Sty.

Last year at their place was probably the tamest derby I've seen either at their place or ours. Their fans were pretty shite until they scored. Ours were shite all game. Worst away end I've been in at The Sty, hopefully our support is better on Sunday.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2017, 09:13:16 PM »
My first visit there was with my Dad in February 1968.
All I remember was we lost and sat in a nasty stinking old ramshackle stand which seemed ready for demolition. It still hasn't been demolished, I guess it just stinks a lot more with a few hundred noses going in it once a fortnight for the nearly 50 years since.   

Offline castlefields_villan

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2017, 10:44:17 PM »
My first encounter of Blues away was also in 1968, but I'll quickly skip over us losing 4-0.

The next time I saw us there clearly stands in mind - the game in April 1976, when although we also lost - I remember a stonking atmosphere and a huge crowd and us having all the tilton.

I mentioned a few days ago - us winning there in October 1978, which was the first time I saw us win there.  Another game from 1978 (the previous season) when we absolutely battered them and should've scored about 10, but lost when Francis (who had apparently just voiced his discontent at being with the rags) took the only chance they created all game - this was the game when one section of our supporters started singing "Francis wants a transfer, Francis wants a transfer La La La, La La La" - anybody on the tilton that day will remember the reply that game from another section of our fans - still makes laugh almost 40 years on!

Allan Evans' tremendous shot into the roof of the net to win there in the championship winning season was also extremely unforgettable.

Offline Dublin Villa

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2017, 11:16:07 PM »
first derby for me Division 2 Bruno double. Seem to remember Villa fans broke in night before and cut out AVFC in the pitch. Also recall more Villa there than Blues and being let out first? Remember dodging bricks on the Coventry Road and general mayhem. First away game couldn’t understand the hatred got bus back home with Bluenose neighbour glad to be alive! Never understood the hatred or bitterness really. Live  in Dublin now and the noses here are as obsessed.

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2017, 07:33:12 AM »
Not all of them by any means but very few clubs can boast of such a sheer volume of complete and utter guttersnipe, lowlife, Peasant "Supporters" as Birmingham City can - the sad part is they would actually take that as a compliment which says it all really (Which probably tells you what MY memories are of this repulsive fixture)

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2017, 07:38:09 AM »
My first encounter of Blues away was also in 1968, but I'll quickly skip over us losing 4-0.

The next time I saw us there clearly stands in mind - the game in April 1976, when although we also lost - I remember a stonking atmosphere and a huge crowd and us having all the tilton.

I mentioned a few days ago - us winning there in October 1978, which was the first time I saw us win there.  Another game from 1978 (the previous season) when we absolutely battered them and should've scored about 10, but lost when Francis (who had apparently just voiced his discontent at being with the rags) took the only chance they created all game - this was the game when one section of our supporters started singing "Francis wants a transfer, Francis wants a transfer La La La, La La La" - anybody on the tilton that day will remember the reply that game from another section of our fans - still makes laugh almost 40 years on!

Allan Evans' tremendous shot into the roof of the net to win there in the championship winning season was also extremely unforgettable.
Possibly the maddest goal ever scored by a central Defender - apart from Chris Nicholls against Everton.

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2017, 02:31:06 PM »
My first visit there was the 0-3  in 2002. We were in a corporate box behind the Villa supporters.  We got kicked out as we were in a box with John Frain's brother. He was goading us when the third went in so my dad chinned him. It was just after my 18th Birthday. We were also in a box on the Railway Stand for the 1-0 Phillips game. Another one where we were told off for celebrating. There was a TV in the box with the game on. The noses in front of us started turning around to look at key decisions so we wound them up by turning it off! I know it dounds childish but it was hilarious winding them up!

We've been in the away end for every match since. Hate his fixture.  Will be glad when we're on the way home on Sunday hopefully with 3 points. Echo the sentiments about being nervous at 4-1 up in the 5-1 game. I had visions of making a Leicester-esque 1994/95 comeback!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 02:58:51 PM by Holte L2 »

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2017, 03:28:00 PM »
Not all of them by any means but very few clubs can boast of such a sheer volume of complete and utter guttersnipe, lowlife, Peasant "Supporters" as Birmingham City can - the sad part is they would actually take that as a compliment which says it all really (Which probably tells you what MY memories are of this repulsive fixture)

And they'd claim it's because they are your real down to earth Brummies, like we are all that kind of scum.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2017, 03:46:25 PM »

"We don't fu*king blame him".

Yup, it's one that's still in the memory bank and always brings a smile.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2017, 04:37:55 PM »

Better still, there are plenty like that in my local area, namely Solihull, Knowle & Dorridge who'll have you believe they're of Peaky Blinders stock (whatever that is)

Online Flamingo Lane

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2017, 06:42:22 PM »
I've only been there twice.

The first time was in 1971, for a Youth Cup match.  We had Little and Gidman in our side, they had Francis and I think Gallagher, and maybe Burns.  That game ended 1-1 in front of 21,000.  We won the replay at VP in front of 19,000 on a night of torrential rain.

The second and last time I went there was in 1976, a 2-3 defeat.

Offline class-of-82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2017, 07:59:19 PM »
wittonwarrior

totally agree that game even though we lost was awesome we had whole of the tilton on the roof of the tilton up the floodlights big crew in scoreboard end ditto railway end villa everywhere and  "when your smiling" drowning out that drone they sing

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2017, 08:54:59 PM »
Easter Monday, 1970. Super Bruce Rioch smashed one home from 20 yards in a 2-0 win. We were relegated to Div. three soon after, but we were far better than them.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal