collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Birmingham City vs Aston Villa pre match thread  (Read 38365 times)

Online tomd2103

Re: Birmingham City vs Aston Villa pre match thread
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2017, 08:38:50 AM »
When was the last time we won an away match playing 4-5-1? I think it worked on Saturday as Fulham, being the away side, were happy to allow us possession. When we are away from home playing one up front just sees us become too negative. Get two up front and get at the bastards.

As the Wolves match showed, playing two in midfield can result in us getting exposed and overrun in there, not that Blues are as good as Wolves though.   

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2017, 08:43:05 AM »
Wolves are a lot better than Small Heath. Blose are a similar quality to Barnsley and Burton... both of whom were defeated playing two up front.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2017, 08:45:20 AM »
Could never see a bloody thing when I visited that shit hole, just got caught up in the atmosphere.
So no idea if we played well or not.

As well as with the Villa, I have had some good times there with an Albion supporting mate of mine. I remember going with him three times. The first time Hopkins of all people scored the only goal late on to win it for Albion, the second time Bremner put Small Heath 1-0 up but they managed to lose the game 1-4 and my mate and I left the Albion end at the final whistle to go and join the sack the board protests on the kop. Luckily none of the angry noses noticed we were the only two people smiling while we were chanting. By the time I went with him the third time he was so convinced I was a lucky mascot for them he paid for my ticket. It all went to plan and Albion won 0-3.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2017, 08:50:57 AM »
When was the last time we won an away match playing 4-5-1? I think it worked on Saturday as Fulham, being the away side, were happy to allow us possession. When we are away from home playing one up front just sees us become too negative. Get two up front and get at the bastards.

Davis, if fit, deserves to play, while not playing Kodjia would give them a boost.

Fulham had 68% possession

Online tomd2103

« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2017, 08:57:00 AM »
Wolves are a lot better than Small Heath. Blose are a similar quality to Barnsley and Burton... both of whom were defeated playing two up front.

We all know how 'up for it' they will be on Sunday and they will raise their level especially for us.  I agree about showing attacking intent in games, but think Sunday should be taken in isolation really.   

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2017, 09:04:21 AM »
They'll be even more "up for it" if they see that Kodjia isn't playing. Don't try to scrape victory, we are rubbish at that. Two away wins this season... 3-0 and 4-0. We need to develop a plan for grinding out ugly one-nils away from home if we are going to get promoted. But we should stick with the tried and tested against this shower. Get two up front, and Gabby on the bench. They need to fear us.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2017, 09:24:08 AM »
They'll be even more "up for it" if they see that Kodjia isn't playing. Don't try to scrape victory, we are rubbish at that. Two away wins this season... 3-0 and 4-0. We need to develop a plan for grinding out ugly one-nils away from home if we are going to get promoted. But we should stick with the tried and tested against this shower. Get two up front, and Gabby on the bench. They need to fear us.

I can see where you are coming from, but for what you might gain from playing two up front (Kodjia is still finding his way back at the moment) we lose playing two in midfield. 

I think it might all be academic anyway as I can't see Bruce changing the team from last Saturday.   

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2017, 09:32:03 AM »
We don't lose much by deducting a midfielder if the midfielder in question in Glenn Whelan.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2017, 09:43:23 AM »
We don't lose much by deducting a midfielder if the midfielder in question in Glenn Whelan.

If we are going to play two in central midfield then it has to be Onomah and Hourihane. 

Offline stuart445

« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2017, 09:47:02 AM »
I would make a couple of changes from Saturday for our trip across the city.  I would go with a three man midfield with Onomah dropping a bit deeper alongside Hourihane and Whelan just in front of the back four.  They are quite direct so we might need someone sitting in front of the defence and might have even gone for Jedinak if he was match fit. 

Horses for courses selection, but I would bring Davis in for Kodjia as well.  Kodjia got bullied there last season and spent most of the game on the floor.  Davis is far more of a physical presence and I would definitely start him.  Adomah definitely plays at the moment for me, so it would be between Snodgrass and Kodjia for the remaining wide spot.

Kodjia has to play, he may not have scored many but with him playing it means the opposition can't push up as they have to isolate him which means the rest of our attack have more space.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2017, 10:23:50 AM »

Davis, if fit, deserves to play, while not playing Kodjia would give them a boost.

Fulham had 68% possession

Fulham's goal keeper and left side of the defence has 60% possession, the rest of their team had the 8%.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2017, 10:53:07 AM »
cant see us losing this,
probably eye watering football as usual against them but who cares as long as we get the points

0-1 another Terry header

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2017, 11:49:27 AM »
I’m not too complacent about this one. They did a number on Cardiff at home and they’re stiffer opponents than us on their day. I’m still hopeful for a win though

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2017, 11:51:48 AM »
Agreed, I posted with bravado earlier, but I'm always worried about these games really. Hate them.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2017, 12:20:21 PM »

If we are going to play two in central midfield then it has to be Onomah and Hourihane. 

Based on the Fulham game I'd play Whelan with Onomah and Hourihane further in front. It's not Whelan's fault previously Bruce played him out of position and he was knackered by half time. He has an eye for a pass and moved the ball quickly against Fulham - it was his first time ball that set free Onomah for the Adomah goal.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal