collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

NSWE Investment by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:49:45 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Bad English
[Today at 12:46:34 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:41:49 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:35:00 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R26: ASTON VILLA v Chelsea, Saturday, 27th April!🥧 by simon ward 50
[Today at 12:34:58 PM]

Ollie Watkins by eamonn
[Today at 12:33:39 PM]

VAR by Somniloquism
[Today at 12:27:06 PM]

Fog stopped play by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 12:12:31 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: NSWE Investment by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:49:45 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Bad English
[Today at 12:46:34 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dogtanian
[Today at 12:42:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:41:49 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by eamonn
[Today at 12:40:28 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 12:39:52 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by usav
[Today at 12:38:27 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:35:00 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 2-1 Fulham Post match thread  (Read 20384 times)

Offline Dan England

Re: Aston Villa 2-1 Fulham Post match thread
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2017, 07:45:55 PM »
Thought Adomah was superb today. It is obvious despite being a loathsome person John Terry is an outstanding footballer. I think Bruce was very negative with his substitutions and invited the pressure in the last 15 mins, more legs and running in midfield instead of 5 at the back may have been better. All in all a good win against decent opposition and a good response to the Wolves result.

Online taylorsworkrate

« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2017, 07:52:08 PM »
That was an entertaining afternoon although as is Bruce's wont,  we spent the last 20 minutes sitting back.

Fulham are a good Championship side and it was much better than the hollow showing against them at Easter.

I think the formation helped and although I'm not a great fan and he gave away the free kick for their goal, I thought Whelan did well today. JT was very good especially when they pressed towards the end.

In the first half we pushed them back, created chances and largely prevented Sessegnon and Fredericks attacking down the flanks but much less so after the break, and we'd do better with more pace in the full backs.

However, we made the much clearer chances and for all their late pressure there was only the one real save from Johnstone, albeit a tremendous one.

I think Whelan improved in the 2nd half, but was very poor in the 1st. He seemed 3 yards off the pace of the game at times. Jedinak is a much better option in the role for me.

Nice to get the 3 points against a reasonable team. Adomah was tremendous in the 2nd half.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 08:12:59 PM by taylorsworkrate »

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2017, 07:54:24 PM »
Sounds like Onomah makes a big difference ? His energy and drive should make him a regular.

Had a good game today.  Still not quite sure he has got the subtlety in his game to be really effective as a "number 10", but I think he would be good alongside Hourihane. 

I agree. He's not a ten in the long term. But not sure anyone trusts him to play deeper. Shame, as that would allow us to get either another striker or number ten in the side. We could be really much more fluid then

Offline Villa75

« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2017, 08:02:13 PM »
Sounds like a good performance, as well as the much needed 3 points. Well done Bruce and the boys!

Let's beat the bastards from small heath next week, and cement our place in the top 6.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2017, 08:11:47 PM »
Just got back in after being at the game earlier and have to say I enjoyed that game today.  Fulham took some massive risks at time playing out from the back, but they were a threat going forward, so that was a good win really.  It's put us in the play off spots now, so hopefully we can kick on from here.

As for us, not massively different from many of the other home games this season really.  Still look more comfortable attacking on the break rather than building through the phases and again had to endure a nervy last ten minutes due to dropping a bit too deep.  Thought the defence was pretty solid today and Hutton did well playing out of position at left back.  I thought Hourihane, Adomah and Onomah had good games, whereas Whelan and Snodgrass were a bit off the pace.  Kodjia looked a bit sharper today, but still looks like he's got a bit of a way to go.

Just a quick note, but I still can't quite understand why Bruce brings everyone back to defend set pieces.  When we clear the ball, it just comes straight back because there is no one up there to challenge for it.  It ends up putting us under pressure, particularly towards the end of games.

It's been explained dozens of times on here but here goes again - the basic idea behind it is to deny space in the box.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2017, 08:26:47 PM »
I also think I read that statistically, you're more likely to form an effective break by springing from the box than by keeping a man or two on the half way line

No idea if it's true

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2017, 08:32:48 PM »
A really enjoyable game, with some real standout performances.
Albert was exceptional. His energy and stamina is incredible. My clear MOTM.

Kodj is getting back to his old self, and is unplayable (as well as impossible to play with).
I must say that even though he considered a bit selfish and doesn’t always see the easier pass, it’s great to have a player with so much skill and that air of unpredictability.

But, the stand out moment, and what probably won us the game was that save from Johnstone.
It was a real top, too class save and came at a really important time in the game.
That’s quite a few times he has saved our bacon this season.

Onwards and upwards.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2017, 08:38:20 PM »
Just got back in after being at the game earlier and have to say I enjoyed that game today.  Fulham took some massive risks at time playing out from the back, but they were a threat going forward, so that was a good win really.  It's put us in the play off spots now, so hopefully we can kick on from here.

As for us, not massively different from many of the other home games this season really.  Still look more comfortable attacking on the break rather than building through the phases and again had to endure a nervy last ten minutes due to dropping a bit too deep.  Thought the defence was pretty solid today and Hutton did well playing out of position at left back.  I thought Hourihane, Adomah and Onomah had good games, whereas Whelan and Snodgrass were a bit off the pace.  Kodjia looked a bit sharper today, but still looks like he's got a bit of a way to go.

Just a quick note, but I still can't quite understand why Bruce brings everyone back to defend set pieces.  When we clear the ball, it just comes straight back because there is no one up there to challenge for it.  It ends up putting us under pressure, particularly towards the end of games.

It's been explained dozens of times on here but here goes again - the basic idea behind it is to deny space in the box.

Most sides do it with the idea you can break quickly, the Luna goal at Arsenal is an example. Under Bruce though it's definitely purely for the defence!

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2017, 08:43:55 PM »
An entertaining and enjoyable game between two decent sides, and we won. What’s not to like?

Offline manic-road

« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2017, 08:47:08 PM »
I enjoyed the game today, Albert was superb as was Terry. Johnstone saved a certain goal from where I was sitting. We could have scored more if a couple of shots were taken rather than trying to find a pass to Kodjia.
Anyway good to be in the top 5 onwards and upwards.

Online andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2017, 08:49:01 PM »
The Johnstone save won us two points today... although with my ultra critical head on he owed us those from last week.

Fulham play watchable footy, I wish we played a bit like that, but of course who cares as long as we win.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2017, 08:52:43 PM »
A really enjoyable game, with some real standout performances.
Albert was exceptional. His energy and stamina is incredible. My clear MOTM.

Kodj is getting back to his old self, and is unplayable (as well as impossible to play with).
I must say that even though he considered a bit selfish and doesn’t always see the easier pass, it’s great to have a player with so much skill and that air of unpredictability.

But, the stand out moment, and what probably won us the game was that save from Johnstone.
It was a real top, too class save and came at a really important time in the game.
That’s quite a few times he has saved our bacon this season.

Onwards and upwards.

He's going to be a bloody good keeper for years to come. We should do everything to keep him here, and to be honest, as long as we get promoted he won't get a better offer.

We're a long way off perfect, but it's no nice to at least be robust again.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2017, 09:03:57 PM »
I thought the Kodjia of last season would have buried that chance just before Albert scored - who was outstanding today.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2017, 09:08:40 PM »
Good win. You'd think Fulham will improve as the season goes on and they'll be a major threat to the top 6 at the end of the season just like last year.

Way I see it our home form will get us top 6. Our away form will decide whether we make top 2 so up to the manager and players to be more positive on the road as the reward will be great.

Wolves are a cut above at this level, didn't play that great today yet were 3-0 up against a very decent PNE team. That second automatic spot is very much up for grabs though. We've been mediocre for large chunks of the year and we're only what 4-5 points off 2nd?

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2017, 09:19:53 PM »
Good result we needed to bounce back and we did. How did Onomah do?
MotM in my opinion.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal