collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

NSWE Investment by tomd2103
[Today at 12:14:34 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:06:52 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[April 24, 2024, 11:56:03 PM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by Hillbilly
[April 24, 2024, 11:46:00 PM]

Champions League Contention by Dave
[April 24, 2024, 11:04:47 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by VillaTim
[April 24, 2024, 10:35:53 PM]

MOTD by Brazilian Villain
[April 24, 2024, 10:01:13 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Demitri_C
[April 24, 2024, 09:46:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 2-1 Fulham Post match thread  (Read 20386 times)

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
Re: Aston Villa 2-1 Fulham Post match thread
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2017, 06:37:00 PM »
good result

played well today and could have killed it off when snodgrass on 70 minutes seem to make the wrong decision and De Laet was unlucky with the header.

would like to see us retain the ball better last 15 minutes and hope we sign the goalie in the summer.

onwards and upwards

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2017, 06:38:53 PM »
Sounds like Onomah makes a big difference ? His energy and drive should make him a regular.

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2017, 06:41:53 PM »
In the first half we pushed them back, created chances and largely prevented Sessegnon and Fredericks attacking down the flanks but much less so after the break, and we'd do better with more pace in the full backs.

Isn't Hutton one of the fastest players at the club?

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2017, 06:43:44 PM »
I thought Snodgrass was useful today. And it was Conor that should have shot, not Snodgrass. Can see us doing Blues quite easily if we hunt the ball down like that again. It's been ages since we've gone hunting in packs.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2017, 06:52:28 PM »
Just got back in after being at the game earlier and have to say I enjoyed that game today.  Fulham took some massive risks at time playing out from the back, but they were a threat going forward, so that was a good win really.  It's put us in the play off spots now, so hopefully we can kick on from here.

As for us, not massively different from many of the other home games this season really.  Still look more comfortable attacking on the break rather than building through the phases and again had to endure a nervy last ten minutes due to dropping a bit too deep.  Thought the defence was pretty solid today and Hutton did well playing out of position at left back.  I thought Hourihane, Adomah and Onomah had good games, whereas Whelan and Snodgrass were a bit off the pace.  Kodjia looked a bit sharper today, but still looks like he's got a bit of a way to go.

Just a quick note, but I still can't quite understand why Bruce brings everyone back to defend set pieces.  When we clear the ball, it just comes straight back because there is no one up there to challenge for it.  It ends up putting us under pressure, particularly towards the end of games.

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2017, 06:54:18 PM »
I thought Snodgrass was useful today. And it was Conor that should have shot, not Snodgrass. Can see us doing Blues quite easily if we hunt the ball down like that again. It's been ages since we've gone hunting in packs.

Yeah I agree. Hourihane could have even put Snodgrass in as another option rather than the pass to Kodija.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2017, 06:56:23 PM »
Sounds like Onomah makes a big difference ? His energy and drive should make him a regular.

Had a good game today.  Still not quite sure he has got the subtlety in his game to be really effective as a "number 10", but I think he would be good alongside Hourihane. 

Offline Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2017, 06:58:34 PM »
Terry was excellent again, as much as people don't like the guy he's a quality defender even now. Loved Alberts performance today the cross for the De Laet header was exceptional.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2017, 06:59:23 PM »
Walking away from the ground, we were saying what a very good game that was. That doesn't happen very often.

I thought we played very well, great to see us pressing Fulham high up the pitch.

Both sides missed sitters in the first half. I was right in line with the one effort from them which I can not believe the guy missed.

I thought Hourihane was the best player on the pitch. I also think we look far more like creating something with Onomah in the team.

Fulham are a decent passing side and will be there or thereabouts come the end of the season

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2017, 07:04:42 PM »
Great result and great performance from Villa today. Needed those 3 points. Fulham dangerous going forward but we contained them well and created a good number of chances. Adomah my motm today! UTV

Offline Joe S

• GM : 09.05.2024
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2017, 07:05:39 PM »
Walking away from the ground, we were saying what a very good game that was. That doesn't happen very often.

I thought we played very well, great to see us pressing Fulham high up the pitch.

Both sides missed sitters in the first half. I was right in line with the one effort from them which I can not believe the guy missed.

I thought Hourihane was the best player on the pitch. I also think we look far more like creating something with Onomah in the team.

Fulham are a decent passing side and will be there or thereabouts come the end of the season

Comforting post that, glad you had a good day too.

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2017, 07:14:31 PM »
Thoroughly enjoyable game and good result against a decent Fulham side. Interesting to note that after the appalling refereeing by Jeremy Simpson in the Bolton game, followed by Dr Xia's comments and subsequent fine, we had a Premier League referee today in the form of Mike Jones. Co-incidence?

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2017, 07:25:46 PM »
Thoroughly enjoyable game and good result against a decent Fulham side. Interesting to note that after the appalling refereeing by Jeremy Simpson in the Bolton game, followed by Dr Xia's comments and subsequent fine, we had a Premier League referee today in the form of Mike Jones. Co-incidence?
I thought Jones was very picky today especially early on.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2017, 07:29:15 PM »
I agree about the ref, managed the game very well, spoke to players rather than booking them and generally let the game flow.

Another highlight was us scoring from a ball into the box from a free kick. As rare as chicken teeth and long overdue.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2017, 07:42:35 PM »

Good to hear that. A high press is so important.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal