collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Woody17
[Today at 12:34:13 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Fulham - Pre Match Thread  (Read 9533 times)

Online Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
Re: Aston Villa v Fulham - Pre Match Thread
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2017, 09:51:48 AM »
1-0 Alan Hutton gets winner!

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2017, 09:56:22 AM »
Why would he need a breather? We haven't played in a week. We should play our strongest side. In particular, we need someone to hold the ball up if forecasts of gale force winds are accurate. It might be difficult to get the ball down and play to feet (which would suit us, I suppose).

Like Chris said, he's only a kid and every now and again you have to pull them out and give them a breather and besides, hasn't he been with the England U20's as well?. Also, people on here are telling us we need to keep the ball better and not go chasing it so an extra body in the middle would help I think. It would have last week.

Rest him when we have a midweek game or get him to withdraw from playing any pointless matches for England under-20s. Don't rest our most inform striker ahead of, arguably, our two biggest games of the season.

Madness.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2017, 10:00:16 AM »
Leaving in the next hour. If this fixture is anything like last year there will be quite a few Fulham on the Euston to New Street but  they were great. Friendliest fans I've spoke to this year were Brentford.

Me too on the 11.03 out of Euston. I fully expect that if one of the Fulham Ultras pull out a knife, it will be to slice up some brie on their cheese board.

I know of someone that won't go to Craven Cottage because "you have to walk through the Fulham fans to get in".

I dunno, maybe he's scared of clouds and squirrels too.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2017, 10:10:42 AM »
Why would he need a breather? We haven't played in a week. We should play our strongest side. In particular, we need someone to hold the ball up if forecasts of gale force winds are accurate. It might be difficult to get the ball down and play to feet (which would suit us, I suppose).

Like Chris said, he's only a kid and every now and again you have to pull them out and give them a breather and besides, hasn't he been with the England U20's as well?. Also, people on here are telling us we need to keep the ball better and not go chasing it so an extra body in the middle would help I think. It would have last week.

Rest him when we have a midweek game or get him to withdraw from playing any pointless matches for England under-20s. Don't rest our most inform striker ahead of, arguably, our two biggest games of the season.

Madness.

You can't withdraw a player who was once playing for Biggleswade Town from playing for his country, that would be ridiculous and a bit unfair.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2017, 10:17:05 AM »

Madness.

You can't withdraw a player who was once playing for Biggleswade Town from playing for his country, that would be ridiculous and a bit unfair.

You just can’t because they have to play if picked unless they’re injured.  The fact that he once played for Biggleswade is completely irrelevant.

Online WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2017, 10:21:06 AM »
Resting may be the wrong word, but it may well be the case he needs taken out for a bit and come off the bench for a couple of games. It happens to all young players and he hasn't looked great the last game or two. It's a choice managers and coaches have to take.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2017, 10:24:06 AM »

Madness.

You just can’t because they have to play if picked unless they’re injured.  The fact that he once played for Biggleswade is completely irrelevant.

What I kind of meant by that was it was probably his dream to play League football again when he was there never mind turning out for England. Like you said, we can't do it anyway.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2017, 10:25:16 AM »
Resting may be the wrong word, but it may well be the case he needs taken out for a bit and come off the bench for a couple of games. It happens to all young players and he hasn't looked great the last game or two. It's a choice managers and coaches have to take.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Whenever it does happen, it'll take a bit of pressure off him and hopefully do him good in the long run.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2017, 10:29:23 AM »

He hadnt played for two weeks before the Wolves game. He was still clearly not right. Only the coaching staff can gauge if he's sharp enough

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2017, 10:34:19 AM »

Madness.

He wasn't playing for his country, he was playing a pointless match for an under-20 team. But that's irrelevant anyway. We have eight days till the next game. No need to rest him whatsoever.

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2017, 11:22:37 AM »
It could be that Davis's last couple of performances will see him on the bench this afternoon. However, given the lack of service & support he's been given by his team mates of late, I think it'd be a bit of a slap in the face for the lad. I appreciate that a fully fit & firing Kod is a sure-fire starter, but he's been a shadow of the guy we saw before his injury; and his obvious frustration and lack of effort last Saturday hardly justifies his guaranteed starting place at present IMO. That said, Bruce is nothing less than consistent and predictable with his selection & (ahem) tactics, so I'm hardly expecting him to pick a side that looks to attack a Fulham team - that he will doubtless seek to nullify from the off.

I'm expecting a draw today, but I live in hope of being pleasantly surprised. UTV
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 11:28:24 AM by auntiesledd »

Offline jimmygreen

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2017, 11:35:04 AM »
1-1 late equaliser for them.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2017, 11:50:31 AM »

Madness.

He wasn't playing for his country, he was playing a pointless match for an under-20 team. But that's irrelevant anyway. We have eight days till the next game. No need to rest him whatsoever.

He was still playing for an England side though, pointless or not.

Offline wombat

« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2017, 11:52:33 AM »
Leaving in the next hour. If this fixture is anything like last year there will be quite a few Fulham on the Euston to New Street but  they were great. Friendliest fans I've spoke to this year were Brentford.

Me too on the 11.03 out of Euston. I fully expect that if one of the Fulham Ultras pull out a knife, it will be to slice up some brie on their cheese board.

I know of someone that won't go to Craven Cottage because "you have to walk through the Fulham fans to get in".

I dunno, maybe he's scared of clouds and squirrels too.

That's odd, last time I went to Fulham I walked through a very pleasant park..... although there were squirrels (the devious bastards!)

I've got visions of a group of fulham fans sat round a table on the train, resplendent in some red trousers. One uncorks a bottle of Chateau Lafite Rothschild 2009 whilst the other plugs the raclette machine into the mobile phone charger. They then sit back and regale tales of the Keegan years and how one of them was the driving force behind the removal of the Jacko statue by having some 'very stern words indeed' with somebody or other who shares the same inheritance tax avoidance accountant. Allegedly ;)

As for the score, well I hope we win, but more than anything I hope it's a jolly good game of football played in good spirits.

Sorry the drugs are wearing off now.

3-1 Villa. They like to keep the ball, kick the $hit out of them but for gods sake somebody tell Hutton to at least try and be cunning about it!

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2017, 12:28:11 PM »
Of all the away trips, Fulham is probably the least intimidating imaginable. Not that that's a bad thing. Fulham fans seem okay to me, as do most people that hate Chelsea.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal