collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa vs Birmingham Football Rivalries Show on Sky Sports  (Read 38024 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Villa vs Birmingham Football Rivalries Show on Sky Sports
« Reply #150 on: October 27, 2017, 09:53:44 PM »
I can understand the won a trophy since we have one, even if it does show they have a strangely inconsistent attitude to history. I can sort-of understand the "more supporters in the city" one, even though it's bollocks. After all, bigger clubs than them have used it. And if they want to say they're bigger and tougher than us, good luck to them. But the city's name thing, who gives a fuck about it? Do Torino fans say it about Juventus? Milan fans about Inter? Roma about Lazio? Of course they don't, yet not only do that lot say it, they honestly truly believe we care about it as well.   

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #151 on: October 27, 2017, 10:00:49 PM »
I can understand the won a trophy since we have one, even if it does show they have a strangely inconsistent attitude to history. I can sort-of understand the "more supporters in the city" one, even though it's bollocks. After all, bigger clubs than them have used it. And if they want to say they're bigger and tougher than us, good luck to them. But the city's name thing, who gives a fuck about it? Do Torino fans say it about Juventus? Milan fans about Inter? Roma about Lazio? Of course they don't, yet not only do that lot say it, they honestly truly believe we care about it as well.   

Yep I doubt any Everton fans care they don't carry the name and of course none of the London clubs have it either.

I've never given it a second thought.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #152 on: October 27, 2017, 10:14:21 PM »
I've never once heard a Villa fan bring it up accept in puzzlement that a Nose would believe it.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #153 on: October 27, 2017, 10:37:05 PM »

Yep I doubt any Everton fans care they don't carry the name and of course none of the London clubs have it either.

The fact that it isn't their original name and that they have changed it three times kind of negates their claims really.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #154 on: October 27, 2017, 10:46:49 PM »
If you write AVFC everyone knows who you mean, i'm really jealous that we don't get to write that we support BCFC and then explain no, not Bath City. Or Bradford City. Or Bristol City. Or Brechin City. And so on.

As Dave says, they used to whine about us being historians and suddenly now that it suits them they're experts on our history.

Clubs like Everton and Man City use the "we have more fans from the city" line as well. And no one believed those feckers either as it's a line used by all the smaller clubs in cities around the world.

Come the game at VP they'll be all over the ground in the home ends as usual, despite no one seeing one since 2003.

Still, it makes sense that they need all those plus many more myths to cling onto. They have nothing else. Statistically, the best season in their history is finishing 6th (their only top 6 finish) and losing a cup final. Imagine it, never in over 140 years have you done better than John Gregory.
They've spent over half their history being as shit as we've been the last few years, difference is not only were they shit they had to watch us being successful. Only 9 times in their history have they averaged more than we did last season. Us being relegated is one of the greatest moments in their lives. They live and breathe Aston Villa as much as we do, because without us every single one of them knows they're nothing. We are everything to them.

Online West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #155 on: October 27, 2017, 11:02:01 PM »
If you write AVFC everyone knows who you mean, i'm really jealous that we don't get to write that we support BCFC and then explain no, not Bath City. Or Bradford City. Or Bristol City. Or Brechin City. And so on.

As Dave says, they used to whine about us being historians and suddenly now that it suits them they're experts on our history.

Clubs like Everton and Man City use the "we have more fans from the city" line as well. And no one believed those feckers either as it's a line used by all the smaller clubs in cities around the world.

Come the game at VP they'll be all over the ground in the home ends as usual, despite no one seeing one since 2003.

Still, it makes sense that they need all those plus many more myths to cling onto. They have nothing else. Statistically, the best season in their history is finishing 6th (their only top 6 finish) and losing a cup final. Imagine it, never in over 140 years have you done better than John Gregory.
They've spent over half their history being as shit as we've been the last few years, difference is not only were they shit they had to watch us being successful. Only 9 times in their history have they averaged more than we did last season. Us being relegated is one of the greatest moments in their lives. They live and breathe Aston Villa as much as we do, because without us every single one of them knows they're nothing. We are everything to them.

I'm welling up......sob sob

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #156 on: October 27, 2017, 11:23:16 PM »
Another thing that’s always made me laugh about Small Heath was that when I was a kid in the 70s and 80s there were adult Noses that actually used to pretend that they won the Fairs Cup back in the 1960s. I thought it was just me that was told this but as I got older I found out that loads of them used to perpetuate that lie and boast about being fantastically successful in Europe. I mean what kind of a fan base actually lies about winning trophies. It’s really quite sad if you think about it.
You couldn’t make it up, but actually they did.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #157 on: October 27, 2017, 11:28:36 PM »
Isn’t it a grammatical fact that you actually spell it BCFC SOTV ?

I have only ever seen written (scrawled) like that.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #158 on: October 28, 2017, 12:06:33 AM »

The fact that it isn't their original name and that they have changed it three times kind of negates their claims really.

Reminds me of when the Welsh football season champions were announced and Jeff Stelling commented, 'And there'll be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions, tonight'.

As I recall, there was also a moment from an American sports commentator, who referred to the town of 'Victorious Port Valians' when they won something.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #159 on: October 28, 2017, 12:32:37 AM »

We had a chant in the 70's which I always liked for this reason:
AV
AVF
AVFC
OK

Online West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #160 on: October 28, 2017, 12:53:16 AM »

We had a chant in the 70's which I always liked for this reason:
AV
AVF
AVFC
OK

Those were the days my friend .....

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #161 on: October 28, 2017, 07:36:02 AM »
I don’t even call them supporters because they don’t support fans perhaps. They really are strange in their own unfunny way

Offline rim gk

« Reply #162 on: October 28, 2017, 10:59:06 AM »
Villa blues is north Birmingham v south Birmingham for me it's the roots of the Derby.  People move around you blues in the north villa in the south. Does anyone remember when you couldn't find a blue nose in the north and a Villa in the south.

Offline rim gk

« Reply #163 on: October 28, 2017, 11:10:31 AM »
... There's a bloke who used to phone tom ross who use to say his a Villa blue nose as he use to go both. People did do that in the 50s as it was affordable and not the hate there is today.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #164 on: October 28, 2017, 12:22:39 PM »
Villa blues is north Birmingham v south Birmingham for me it's the roots of the Derby.  People move around you blues in the north villa in the south. Does anyone remember when you couldn't find a blue nose in the north and a Villa in the south.

No, I’m In my late 50s, from south Birmingham (Northfield and Rubery) and there have always been plenty of Villa fans. I would say slightly more of them but not overwhelming so.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal