collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

* The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

Recent Posts

Re: Short term - back up to Davis by Breezeblock
[Today at 09:12:49 AM]

Re: Short term - back up to Davis by Dave
[Today at 09:06:36 AM]

Re: The All-New Patronise The Plucky Little Neighbours Thread. by Damo70
[Today at 08:49:00 AM]

Re: Bruce out? by Ads
[Today at 08:42:59 AM]

Re: Keinan Davis by Ads
[Today at 08:41:26 AM]

Author Topic: You Are The Ref Thread  (Read 265 times)

Online cdbullyweefan

• prolific poster
  • I still hate Bono.
    • Every time you click this link, a child in Africa dies.
  • GM : 19.01.2017
You Are The Ref Thread
« on: October 17, 2017, 09:34:39 AM »
I'm guessing there must be some people on here who have refereed at some level, or at least have some better understanding of some of the rules than me?

I though it might be an idea for a topic debating general and theoretical refereeing decisions, a sort of thread version of the popular "You Are The Ref" comic strip.

My question is...

Team B is beating Team A one-nil with a minute of normal time remaining. Team B are awarded a free kick for offside. None of the Team B players step forward to take it, trying to use up as much time as possible, to the consternation of the home crowd.

With no visiting player ready to take the free kick, how does the referee decide which player to book for time-wasting? Is it the nearest player, the captain, or should the referee have pointed to a nearby player and urged him to get on with it, booking him if he fails to comply?

Edit: changed to more streamlined thread name.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 09:45:57 AM by cdbullyweefan »

Online Dave

• prolific poster
  • GM : 04.11.2015
Re: You Are The Ref Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 01:37:11 PM »
My guess would be:

Explain to the captain that if he or a teammate doesn't take the kick promptly (and that the time he's taking would be added on), then you will have no option but to abandon the match.

If that doesn't work, have the same conversation with the manager.

If that doesn't work, abandon the match and include all the details that led you to that decision in your match report.

Those You Are The Ref columns were / are brilliant.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 02:46:18 PM by Dave »

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• coach
  • Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 08:50:09 PM »
Because the ball is not in play until the ball is kicked again it is impossible for the referee to blow for full time.

If in the opinion of the referee Team B is refusing to take the free kick at all they are in effect refusing to partake to the same extent as if they had all left the field of play prior to full time without permission.

The referee would advise the captain and manager of Team B that he is going to abandon the game on the basis that were refusing to complete the fixture. His match report would then in all likelihood result in the game being awarded to the opposition with possible further disciplinary action against Team B such as points deduction.   

Offline Dave Cooper please

• prolific poster
  • GM : 02.08.2016
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 08:50:41 PM »
The ref is part of the game isn't he / she?

Hoof the ball towards their goal and wave play on.