collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

* The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

Recent Posts

Re: The NFL Thread (with added College Football) by OCD
[Today at 01:10:43 AM]

Re: Short term - back up to Davis by OCD
[Today at 01:07:24 AM]

Re: Press-ing along nicely by Diablo
[Today at 01:03:12 AM]

Re: The Cricket Thread 2017 by tomd2103
[Today at 01:02:17 AM]

Re: The Cricket Thread 2017 by tomd2103
[Today at 12:57:09 AM]

Author Topic: Toon up for sale  (Read 540 times)

Offline manic-road

• international
Toon up for sale
« on: October 16, 2017, 05:57:48 PM »
I hope Randy Lerner buys the Toon now it's up for sale.

From the BBC Premier League club Newcastle United have been put up for sale by owner Mike Ashley.

The Magpies have been relegated twice from the English top flight during Ashley's 10-year reign.

After winning promotion last season, Rafael Benitez's side are ninth in the Premier League after eight matches.

"Newcastle United requires a clear direction and a path to a bright and successful future," a club statement said.

Ashley, 53, has been a divisive figure at St James' Park since taking over in 2007, with some supporters regularly protesting about the way the businessman has run the club.

Financier Amanda Staveley, 44, has been reported to be interested in buying the club after being seen watching Newcastle's 1-1 home draw against Liverpool earlier this month.

"To give the club the best possible opportunity of securing the positioning and investment necessary to take it to the next level, at what is an important time in its history, its present ownership has determined that it is in the best interests of Newcastle United and its fans for the club to be put up for sale."

Ashley also put the club up for sale in September 2008 following a series of protests by supporters angered by Kevin Keegan's departure as manager.

He took the club off the market in December that year, but announced he wanted to sell again after relegation in May 2009 before again ending his attempt to sell the club five months later.

Offline saunders_heroes

• player manager
  • GM : 02.12.2016
Re: Toon up for sale
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 06:58:00 PM »
They’ve been up for sale for years but he just can’t find a buyer. Today’s announcement is just a bit of free advertisement.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• prolific poster
  • GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 06:59:31 PM »
It's a toss up which happens more often, Ashley putting Newcastle up for sale or Lambert asking to be sacked.

Online Damo70

• player manager
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 09:09:27 PM »
It's a toss up which happens more often, Ashley putting Newcastle up for sale or Lambert asking to be sacked.

But this time he will let you pay in installments.

Online Damo70

• player manager
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 08:00:25 AM »
I think it is a big ask to sell it before Christmas, which is his preference. Surely you would struggle to sell a house in that time period, let alone a football club.

Maybe my stipulation that my wife and kids are included in the deal has effected my house sale attempts.

Offline TheMalandro

• coach
  • GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 09:11:51 AM »
I don't often have sympathy for Newcastle fans, in this case I do. Nobody deserves Mike Ashley.

Football will be a little bit better without that bloaty twunt.

Online Damo70

• player manager
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 09:48:53 AM »
I don't often have sympathy for Newcastle fans, in this case I do. Nobody deserves Mike Ashley.

Football will be a little bit better without that bloaty twunt.

He seems to alternate between ambition and good managerial appointments and disinterest and bad decisions. It is almost like he is teasing the fans.

Offline The Fish

• parks player
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 05:32:24 PM »
None of us are expecting this to turn out right. Ashley will turn up drunk, offer his bacon sandwich to the Dubai Prince, try and grope Amanda Staveley, then vomit over the agreed upon contract.

Getting Benitez filled our "one good thing a decade" quota.