collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by Small Rodent
[Today at 12:13:42 AM]

Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 12:12:07 AM]

Jacob Ramsey by AV84
[Today at 12:12:05 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by LeeB
[Today at 12:04:59 AM]

Leon Bailey - signed by AV84
[Today at 12:04:41 AM]

Matty Cash - Polish international by PeterWithe
[Today at 12:03:00 AM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:02:34 AM]

Press-ing on triumphantly by dave.woodhall
[April 18, 2024, 11:47:47 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Paul Lambert - a retrospective  (Read 9924 times)

Offline passitsideways

Re: Paul Lambert - a retrospective
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2017, 12:58:09 PM »
I suppose there were a few what ifs that came up over his tenure - what if we'd gotten Coutinho in January 2013, what if he'd done better business in summer 2013, and so on.

Never had any idea about how to make the next step to build on an initial positive, or to make the right adjustments when things went wrong though.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2017, 01:04:56 PM »
Poor manager, who got in some poor players he didn't need and moaned he didn't have any money, and the media believed him. Wouldn't play Bent. So many of his players left for nothing after going out on loan

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2017, 01:14:17 PM »
Very overrated manager

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2017, 01:23:37 PM »
A stupid manager for a stupid owner.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2017, 02:05:30 PM »
There was the glimmer of hope with the end of first season run that kept us up and we played football.
Then he went straight back to boring turgid dour crap.
Wanker.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2017, 02:11:35 PM »
There was the glimmer of hope with the end of first season run that kept us up and we played football.
Wanker.

I'll never understand that. He kept us up playing some of the best football, and with some of the best goals, we've had this century. There was a bit of optimism for the future but from then on it was just shite.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2017, 02:26:04 PM »
Wanker.

I'll never understand that. He kept us up playing some of the best football, and with some of the best goals, we've had this century. There was a bit of optimism for the future but from then on it was just shite.
It has to go down as a where did it all go wrong period.
If he had approached the next season as he finished the last then I doubt we would be where we are now.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2017, 02:27:25 PM »
Thought he was a good appointment at the time, but was allowed to drift for far too long.  Had a poor start and the December and January of his first season were as poor as I can remember.  We did pick up towards the end of that season and played some good football during that period.  We started the next season off well (the win at Arsenal), but it wasn't to last and we reverted to being poor again.  He should have gone at the end of that season, especially after what happened with Culverhouse and Karsa. 

He was allowed to drift on aimlessly before being eventually sacked, but the damage was done by then.  He would have definitely taken us down if he would have been allowed to continue, whether it be that season or the next.   

Online SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2017, 03:05:58 PM »
Wanker.

We didn't sign a playmaker. Well we sort of did but stretching the imagination to class Tonev as a professional footballer.

Benteke also lost a fair bit of form during the middle part of the season.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2017, 04:41:51 PM »
Wanker.

It has to go down as a where did it all go wrong period.
If he had approached the next season as he finished the last then I doubt we would be where we are now.

I was so excited about that 2nd season, but as you say the way we carried on looked like he was starting all over again and we never looked that good again like we did the end of that 1st season. The end of that first season, I really thought it had all clicked. Disappointing.

That said, I am surprised he last as long as he did under Lerner. I actually think in the end he did well to keep us up.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2017, 06:00:58 PM »
Wanker.

Exactly.  I was so exited after the end of that season.  I couldn't believe what we served up the following year.

Offline Canadian Villa

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2017, 06:27:48 PM »
I had high hopes after what he did at Norwich and felt that with a bigger budget than Norwich, he would do great. No idea why it worked at Norwich with mediocre players and not with us.

What actually did happen with Culverhouse?? never got to the bottom of it.

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2017, 06:32:41 PM »
I suppose there were a few what ifs that came up over his tenure - what if we'd gotten Coutinho in January 2013, what if he'd done better business in summer 2013, and so on.

Never had any idea about how to make the next step to build on an initial positive, or to make the right adjustments when things went wrong though.

He'd have turned Coutinho into Carles Gil

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2017, 06:39:05 PM »
I had high hopes after what he did at Norwich and felt that with a bigger budget than Norwich, he would do great. No idea why it worked at Norwich with mediocre players and not with us.

What actually did happen with Culverhouse?? never got to the bottom of it.

Karsa and Culverhouse were summarily dismissed due to allegations of bullying if I remember correctly.

Online West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2017, 06:59:09 PM »
On his watch, we got worse and worse, every single season. Poor manager, employed by a poor CEO (presumably), employed by a disinterested owner.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal