collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Astnor
[Today at 02:28:48 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:25:34 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 02:21:56 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:20:52 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 02:15:26 PM]

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:01:05 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 02:00:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:59:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: AVFC Lions Clubs  (Read 9288 times)

Online Chico Hamilton III

Re: AVFC Lions Clubs
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2017, 04:38:57 PM »
Without knowing for sure, I would think that a lot of the UK distance  Lions Clubs are suffering not only from the relegation directly but from the lack of 3pm kick offs.

Shame that London being such a large city/area cannot organise travel on a  weekly basis but I suppose people have much more choice as to time off activities  as well as the expense of modern day football.

When we started the new London Lions we were told there were 10,000 exiled Villa fans down here for the taking, "build it and they will come" we were told. We've built it but despite, between, the four of us (North, East, South and West London) having over 500 members there's only enough interest to get 2/3 coaches a season. We have (almost) our own bar in Elephant and Castle and the London Lions Football Team doing the rounds. We're spreading the love but people have other priorities.   

Of those 10,000 exiled Villans, only 5 of us managed to get to Millwall on that Friday night. They'll all want Wembley tickets though........

Kingthing does a great job of herding the London Villa cats, sorting tickets, sorting pubs out, getting oversized Lions flags knocked up.I wouldn't be going to half the games if it wasn't for him.

Oh shut ya face.

I'm not complimenting you, I'm accusing you of facilitating almost a decade of misery

There's more coming your way . It'll be the Christmas outing soon.

Brilliant - can we hold it in Millwall?

Last year's Christmas bash after the QPR game was fantastic. 

Offline Canadian Villa

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2017, 05:18:35 PM »
What website did this list come from again?? I'm listed for Vancouver but I passed that over many moons ago. I don't have that number, or e-mail address either.

I set up a club in Brighton about 2002 and we had a few regulars that would get the train up, and most are still in contact with each other, but it's sometimes a thankless task. Many times I was stuck holding tickets for someone who ask, but then bailed on me. Trying to be too nice to people has it's down falls.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2017, 05:23:38 PM »
I just Googled it then copied and pasted. I think the year was 2008.

Offline Canadian Villa

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2017, 06:11:55 PM »
I should relay the story of why I started a supporters club in the first place as it makes me chuckle. I grew up on the South Coast and one Friday night in the pub my dad asks if I fancied going to Man Utd away tomorrow. We never win there and the travel is horrendous, but a day out with my dad with a few drinks and seeing all his old friends seemed like a good idea so I say yes. Next morning I'm up and at it early but he is still sleeping. We miss a train and still no dad. So I wake him up and ask when he plans on getting up. 'Oh I'm not going'. 'Why not?' 'Because you bought my ticket'.

It was JPA's first game for us (I believe, lost 3-0) and I had to leave early to get the train back to London to make the last train to the coast. I spent the journey on my own and thought that there must be other idiots out there like me sitting on their own drinking beer so I started up a supporters club.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2017, 08:37:33 PM »
Wasn't gonna star a new thread but may as well put it in here.

Anyone know if there's any Villans in Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City)? Am off to Vietnam and Cambodia soon for three weeks and will be in Saigon for the Blues game.

Not far enough away from there for my liking.

More piss pot than Pol Pot.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2017, 09:22:11 PM »
I should relay the story of why I started a supporters club in the first place as it makes me chuckle. I grew up on the South Coast and one Friday night in the pub my dad asks if I fancied going to Man Utd away tomorrow. We never win there and the travel is horrendous, but a day out with my dad with a few drinks and seeing all his old friends seemed like a good idea so I say yes. Next morning I'm up and at it early but he is still sleeping. We miss a train and still no dad. So I wake him up and ask when he plans on getting up. 'Oh I'm not going'. 'Why not?' 'Because you bought my ticket'.

It was JPA's first game for us (I believe, lost 3-0) and I had to leave early to get the train back to London to make the last train to the coast. I spent the journey on my own and thought that there must be other idiots out there like me sitting on their own drinking beer so I started up a supporters club.

Great story. Did you ever trust your dad after that?!

Offline Canadian Villa

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2017, 10:50:11 PM »

To be fair, he always produced a ticket for me when it counted in the days before Mobiles and the Internet. And I now have a reason to trot out this old story. cheers! http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-tony-xia-most-12325881

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2017, 12:15:24 AM »
To be fair, he always produced a ticket for me when it counted in the days before Mobiles and the Internet. And I now have a reason to trot out this old story. cheers! http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-tony-xia-most-12325881
That's a fantastic read, thanks for sharing that.

Right, when I get my Mrs over from Uganda start of next year, all being well I'll sign her up as a London lion and complete the indoctrination to the family team on the next coach trip up.
A public thank you to Cameron and those that have worked so hard to get the LL so well organised.

I have to confess to being one of the many for who a whole bunch of commitments compete.

Of those 10,000 exiled Villans, only 5 of us managed to get to Millwall on that Friday night. They'll all want Wembley tickets though........

A trip to Wembley you say?

Offline Kingthing

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2017, 08:58:28 AM »

To be fair Cameron sorts out the coaches, advertising and Social Media, I just walk along Virgin trains, pissed, giving out our business cards. Look who I found on the way back from beating the Baggies in the FA Cup QF....... Jonas Olssen.  oh how we laughed.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2017, 10:31:34 AM »
Without knowing for sure, I would think that a lot of the UK distance  Lions Clubs are suffering not only from the relegation directly but from the lack of 3pm kick offs.

Shame that London being such a large city/area cannot organise travel on a  weekly basis but I suppose people have much more choice as to time off activities  as well as the expense of modern day football.

When we started the new London Lions we were told there were 10,000 exiled Villa fans down here for the taking, "build it and they will come" we were told. We've built it but despite, between, the four of us (North, East, South and West London) having over 500 members there's only enough interest to get 2/3 coaches a season. We have (almost) our own bar in Elephant and Castle and the London Lions Football Team doing the rounds. We're spreading the love but people have other priorities.   

Kingthing does a great job of herding the London Villa cats, sorting tickets, sorting pubs out, getting oversized Lions flags knocked up.I wouldn't be going to half the games if it wasn't for him.

Oh shut ya face.

I'm not complimenting you, I'm accusing you of facilitating almost a decade of misery

There's more coming your way . It'll be the Christmas outing soon.

Brilliant - can we hold it in Millwall?
you do realise Millwall is Isle of Dogs Paulie? You’ll probably blend in well with the locals in Claret and Blue! Saying that my junkie neighbours were Millwall when I lived in Cahir St.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2017, 01:44:17 PM »

Just remind me not to fall out with you Canadian- your pops once had me in a head lock for fun - top fella he was

Offline Canadian Villa

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2017, 05:45:59 PM »

Just remind me not to fall out with you Canadian- your pops once had me in a head lock for fun - top fella he was

He likely had a few people in head locks in his time! I've heard many stories about him over the years. Saw him in action away to Southampton a few years ago. Don't think they knew what hit them with this white haired fella landing some chin-pie!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal