collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by frank black
[Today at 01:19:41 PM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by eamonn
[Today at 01:18:48 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 01:17:43 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 01:17:12 PM]

Re: FFP by astonvilla82
[Today at 01:15:24 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 01:08:06 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by chrisw1
[Today at 01:04:38 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 01:03:39 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Taking a child to the game  (Read 5616 times)

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Re: Taking a child to the game
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2017, 12:14:29 PM »
Have some episodes of cartoons he likes on your phone.

As opposed to the one on the pitch?

Funny ones, not scary ones.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2017, 12:49:24 PM »
My dad first started taking me when I was seven, he'd get me to crawl under the turnstile and he'd give the gateman the equivalent of the price of a pint of beer, which the gateman would pocket for himself.   

Offline Damo70

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2017, 12:56:22 PM »
When all of our kids were younger we tended to take them early or late season in the milder weather.

Online dorsetvillian

• GM : PCM
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2017, 01:55:06 PM »
I've been taking my lad since he was 3. He's now 18 and still comes with me. Every game for us is an away game and a long car journey but it just becomes part of the Villa experience. Snacks and drinks are a life saver, so are mobile phones and I pads for the journey.  The highlight of the day was always buying H&V from Percy!

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2017, 02:27:27 PM »
I started taking my nephew (his first game was Ian Taylor's  home debut v Chelsea in 1994) when he was 5 and would go in the Trinity. I got him to kneel on seats and would lift him up when the crowd stood as attacks unfolded - it was easier than lifting him from a seated position.

We used to stick cans of drink and sweets in his Villa backpack so no need to queue for food and always made sure he had hat, scarf and gloves in winter. I was lucky that he loved it from the word go. The hardest thing was  trying to rein in my swearing but i think he loved the grown up language around us - it reminded him of his mom.

Offline preston28

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2017, 04:55:50 PM »
Hello everybody.
I am taking my 6 year old nephew to the Sheffield Wednesday game in November. I don't have children so this will be as nerve-wracking for me as it is for him. He's very keen to go because his friend Alex from school goes to the games and I think he's got a bit of Villa jealousy going on but unfortunately he doesn't really understand what going to the game is about (my sister has told me, for example, that he doesn't really understand if he is going to watch football or play football). I've bought family tickets right next to the tunnel so he can see the players up close and the mascots etc. My questions are:
a/. We live in Sutton so I normally get the train in but I'm guessing the walk might be a bit far for him - any advice on where to park?
b/. My biggest worry is he'll get bored. I get bored watching Villa so it's only fair that he might. I'm planning on taking some back up plans to distract him but unsure what at this stage.
c/. Is there anything I'm missing out on?
To be fair, I went at six years old and was hooked. The game I went to was Villa 1-0 Wimbledon and however I look at that I guess it wasn't a thriller so hopefully it'll have the same effect on him. For all the crap I've witnessed with Villa it's definitely worth it.

I know this topic has been covered before, so apologies. I couldn't find it though! Thank you.

I take my 6 year old  but with his 19 year old brother.  He loves it despite having the attention span of a goldfish!

As I come from the North I park at the City of Birmingham University for £5. The Hare of the Dog Pub is now closed so its a 15 minute walk to the Holte Suite.
I find the family fun zone near the North Stand (acadamy training) a great way to entertain a 6 year old but I'm not sure if it runs every game?  A game programme (kids quiz etc) can help keep them interested
Finally go buy him a souvenir in the club shop after the game!.

Hope it helps!

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2017, 08:16:01 PM »
I've been taking my lad since he was 3. He's now 18 and still comes with me. Every game for us is an away game and a long car journey but it just becomes part of the Villa experience. Snacks and drinks are a life saver, so are mobile phones and I pads for the journey.  The highlight of the day was always buying H&V from Percy!

Honestly, it was a highlight of my day seeing you two as well.

Online dorsetvillian

• GM : PCM
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2017, 08:27:28 PM »
Hi Percy.  Glad to hear your bringing  the next generation to see the Villa.  Your right time together  with the kids going to watch the Villa is priceless.  My lad is going to Uni at Bristol,  so I can still pick him up on the way to home games. 

Offline spangley1812

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2017, 10:08:41 PM »
Hello everybody.
I am taking my 6 year old nephew to the Sheffield Wednesday game in November. I don't have children so this will be as nerve-wracking for me as it is for him. He's very keen to go because his friend Alex from school goes to the games and I think he's got a bit of Villa jealousy going on but unfortunately he doesn't really understand what going to the game is about (my sister has told me, for example, that he doesn't really understand if he is going to watch football or play football). I've bought family tickets right next to the tunnel so he can see the players up close and the mascots etc. My questions are:
a/. We live in Sutton so I normally get the train in but I'm guessing the walk might be a bit far for him - any advice on where to park?
b/. My biggest worry is he'll get bored. I get bored watching Villa so it's only fair that he might. I'm planning on taking some back up plans to distract him but unsure what at this stage.
c/. Is there anything I'm missing out on?
To be fair, I went at six years old and was hooked. The game I went to was Villa 1-0 Wimbledon and however I look at that I guess it wasn't a thriller so hopefully it'll have the same effect on him. For all the crap I've witnessed with Villa it's definitely worth it.

I know this topic has been covered before, so apologies. I couldn't find it though! Thank you.

I take my 6 year old  but with his 19 year old brother.  He loves it despite having the attention span of a goldfish!

As I come from the North I park at the City of Birmingham University for £5. The Hare of the Dog Pub is now closed so its a 15 minute walk to the Holte Suite.
I find the family fun zone near the North Stand (acadamy training) a great way to entertain a 6 year old but I'm not sure if it runs every game?  A game programme (kids quiz etc) can help keep them interested
Finally go buy him a souvenir in the club shop after the game!.

Hope it helps!

Family Fun zone is operating for all the Sat 3.00pm kick-offs

Offline Proposition Joe

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2017, 09:14:26 AM »
Took my 6 year old to the Norwich game for his first match, and he had a great time. We sat in the Holte Upper, because I thought the atmosphere up there would excite him more. One thing I was sure to do was to get a couple of aisle seats, because you can't really predict when kids that age need toilet breaks.

I didn't think to bring anything for entertainment though, and he did get a bit distracted secobd half. And I think that after the goals, the next most exciting thing to him was seeing the sprinklers in action (which he blamed for the lack of water in the bogs at HT - "it's because the sprinklers used it all").

Offline McGraths Dry Cleaning

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2017, 12:28:40 PM »
My oldest is 6 and I take him every couple of months to get him interested. His last game (Bolton) he started to show some genuine interest - we actually won, he enjoyed the Conor Hourihane chant and he started chanting "Villa Win" on the way out and a bunch of lads joined in which really made his day (he's still talking about it now). Hes also getting more competitive at sports and is interested in football and is starting to ask about the rules, throw ins, corners that kind of stuff but be prepared for a bit of a running commentary.

I normally sit in the North Bank when I take him (alien territory for me but they often have cheap combo deals and lots of kids/families there). I took him to one game when he was 4 (in the Trinity) and he came home and asked his Mum what a ****** was (and Mrs MDC didn't say "your Dad" before any wit on here chips in lol). Less sweary where we sit although at 6 he knows not to repeat anything he hears and I explain any words he asks about. The Holte sounds good from there and he asked when we were going to start sitting in there (he knows that's where I go when I go without him).

He's still a bit young so our routine is watch first half, pint for me juice for him, packed lunch/snack and then he has a tablet at some point in the second half when ever he fancies it. We always get the train - hes as fascinated with the fans as much as the game and loves hearing people singing on the train and the general hubub at New St and the hordes of folk wearing the same shirt as him at Aston. The walk is no problem for a 6 year old.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2017, 12:52:47 PM »
My oldest is 6 and I take him every couple of months to get him interested. His last game (Bolton) he started to show some genuine interest - we actually won, he enjoyed the Conor Hourihane chant and he started chanting "Villa Win" on the way out and a bunch of lads joined in which really made his day (he's still talking about it now). Hes also getting more competitive at sports and is interested in football and is starting to ask about the rules, throw ins, corners that kind of stuff but be prepared for a bit of a running commentary.

I normally sit in the North Bank when I take him (alien territory for me but they often have cheap combo deals and lots of kids/families there). I took him to one game when he was 4 (in the Trinity) and he came home and asked his Mum what a c*** was (and Mrs MDC didn't say "your Dad" before any wit on here chips in lol). Less sweary where we sit although at 6 he knows not to repeat anything he hears and I explain any words he asks about. The Holte sounds good from there and he asked when we were going to start sitting in there (he knows that's where I go when I go without him).

He's still a bit young so our routine is watch first half, pint for me juice for him, packed lunch/snack and then he has a tablet at some point in the second half when ever he fancies it. We always get the train - hes as fascinated with the fans as much as the game and loves hearing people singing on the train and the general hubub at New St and the hordes of folk wearing the same shirt as him at Aston. The walk is no problem for a 6 year old.

You sure you're on the right club's site?!

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2017, 12:57:35 PM »
In and around the tunnel can get a little "pushy" as all the kids clamour for autographs and to get a glimpse of the players coming out - most of them are regulars. Hercules and Bella always make the kids smile and although they are very accommodating for pictures sometimes you can see the younger kids can be freaked out. I think its best to be on the left side of the tunnel (as you look at the pitch) because the more regulars attend the right side and as there are steps down they are constantly being moved as press and media come into the tunnel. The best time for pics and autographs are when they come out to look at the pitch - so be early. Once they come out to be warmed up or at game time they are usually focussed so ignore most people. It is best to bring non perishable food for half time as the queues can be long - be warned if you bring your own pop then they will take the tops off at searching

My first game is a great idea and all the kids seem to love it - I must admit the club do the whole family thing really well

If you wear a badge with "Tom" on it I will say hi  ;)

Offline myf

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2017, 10:54:29 PM »
Make sure you go to family fun day.  It's excellent and kids love it. Knackers them out before KO too!

We normally get train to add to occasion and walk from Aston to north stand. 6 yr old is fine with it.  Normally stop to buy pin badges and hot dogs as a treat

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2017, 07:37:19 AM »
Definitely his "Marmite" moment i think.
Good luck, hope he loves it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal