collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 02:15:26 PM]

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:01:05 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 02:00:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:59:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by WassallVillain
[Today at 01:54:03 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 01:50:22 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 01:43:13 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:30:57 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Taking a child to the game  (Read 5617 times)

Offline Tom_Mc9?

• GM : 28.08.2024
Taking a child to the game
« on: October 07, 2017, 07:19:27 AM »
Hello everybody.
I am taking my 6 year old nephew to the Sheffield Wednesday game in November. I don't have children so this will be as nerve-wracking for me as it is for him. He's very keen to go because his friend Alex from school goes to the games and I think he's got a bit of Villa jealousy going on but unfortunately he doesn't really understand what going to the game is about (my sister has told me, for example, that he doesn't really understand if he is going to watch football or play football). I've bought family tickets right next to the tunnel so he can see the players up close and the mascots etc. My questions are:
a/. We live in Sutton so I normally get the train in but I'm guessing the walk might be a bit far for him - any advice on where to park?
b/. My biggest worry is he'll get bored. I get bored watching Villa so it's only fair that he might. I'm planning on taking some back up plans to distract him but unsure what at this stage.
c/. Is there anything I'm missing out on?
To be fair, I went at six years old and was hooked. The game I went to was Villa 1-0 Wimbledon and however I look at that I guess it wasn't a thriller so hopefully it'll have the same effect on him. For all the crap I've witnessed with Villa it's definitely worth it.

I know this topic has been covered before, so apologies. I couldn't find it though! Thank you.

Offline Zouch Villa

• GM : 12.02.2024
Re: Taking a child to the game
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 07:43:11 AM »
I hope he enjoys it Tom.

The only advise I can give is to make sure he has a decent view (it’s easy to forget that just cause you can see, he might not be able to). Some might say it’s an advantage, but if he can’t see the action he’s more likely to get bored).

Make sure he’s warm, has plenty of layers, as nothing worse than being cold and wet. Also, take plenty of snacks/sweets (and avoids concourse prices). I know some see it as an anathema treating going to the football like a trip to the cinema, but it’s an easy way to distract or pacify a bored young child.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 07:45:40 AM »
Have some episodes of cartoons he likes on your phone.

Offline charleeco7

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 07:58:38 AM »
I take my lad who is just five, take plenty of food for him and an iPad with cartoons for him to watch. He usually last about half an hour before he gets bored and watches the iPad. To my amazement though he watched the whole Bolton game last week but did ask me a multitude of questions through the game.
The club put on a family fun thing before the game in the old stumps. It's on from 1pm I think, is free of charge and full of things for kids to do, have a look on the villa website. It really is a must to do especially for a 6 year old.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 08:02:07 AM »
At that age their attention strays.  They spend as much time looking at the funny people shouting as they do watching the game. Let him move about if he wants to.  He will soon begin to enjoy himself.  Good luck.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 08:21:28 AM »
I started taking my daughter when she was 5. For the first couple of years she was more fascinated by the crowd than the football. I took drink and snacks with me although after the first couple of years she wanted to go and get a drink and a snack at half time as the characters that we came across really used to make her day. Anyway it must have worked because 15 years on and I can't go to a game without her.  .....costs me a bloody fortune now  !!

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 08:32:36 AM »

As opposed to the one on the pitch?

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 08:33:36 AM »
Family Fun Zone in the Academy building is a must.

Online atomicjam

• GM : 07.04.2019
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 08:33:44 AM »

This. Took my 4 year to the Watford friendly and a combination of sweets and novelty kept him going in the first half, cartoons on my phone the second half. You might want to bring some headphones so those sitting nearby are spared the plot line from Danger Mouse!

Offline Damo70

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 09:09:03 AM »
I took my son to his first game at about five although it was three or four years later before I took him regularly. Obviously make sure he is 'fed and watered' throughout the game and I would advise sitting close to the pitch like we used to so he is more engaged in the action.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 09:19:03 AM »
Both of my sons who now have 75 years attendance between them, liked running about under the old Holte as much as the football when they were there.  My daughter with just the 42 years service demanded to go in the Panini Lounge to meet the players.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 10:40:47 AM »
My boy is five and he's been three times, once when he was three and his sister was five. It was too noisy for her and she bailed with her mom at half-time and they waited for us in the car. My boy enjoyed it though. He didn't look at the pitch much but jumped up and held his scarf up when we scored (it was the 5-3 Notts County game). We left at ninety minutes though (3-3) as I was mindful of the others sitting waiting.

He still doesn't look at the pitch much but seems genuinely excited when we score and he mithers me to go, so I think I've got him. Overall I'm happy about that and love the bus rides and generally spending 'just the two of us' time with him but I miss going with my mates and having the Old Bill following us from pub to pub in town filming us. When you're a Villa fan and all you've got is the football it often seems like a waste of time and money to me.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 11:58:30 AM by Percy McCarthy »

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 10:57:00 AM »
I took my 5 year old grandson to the Brighton game last season. He was all excited and fully kitted out and loved every minute of it till HT. At HT he wanted chips nothing but chips. Found out that in Upper North they don't sell chips so tried to bribe him by saying that we will go to McDonalds after the game and that backfired as he insisted on going there straight away and refused to go back up to the seats. So that was the end of his visit to VP but he still talks about it.

Offline Tom_Mc9?

• GM : 28.08.2024
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2017, 10:55:02 AM »
Thank you everyone!

Offline Kingthing

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2017, 12:10:18 PM »
Check out the website for the "my home deput" I took my lad a couple of years ago and he loved it. After a bonkers 2 hours in the acadamy they get taken by the mascots round the pitch. He was wasted by half time but some old boy pumped him with sweets laced with speed and he was off again.

Give them a call se if the have any spaces left, it does get filled up quick though.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal