collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:32:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Paul.S
[Today at 07:27:19 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[Today at 07:23:43 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:23:42 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 07:22:15 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:20:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:17:32 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Burton Albion v The Invincibles Post-Match Thread  (Read 19657 times)

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: Burton Albion v The Invincibles Post-Match Thread
« Reply #180 on: September 27, 2017, 10:51:28 PM »
It was raining goals last night and I am expecting to be drenched on Saturday afternoon.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #181 on: September 27, 2017, 11:09:02 PM »

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #182 on: September 27, 2017, 11:09:30 PM »
Blimey, there's some touchy people out there, merely making the point that possession means sod all a lot of the time. I don't take a blind bit of notice of it but see on BT that Benfica are 2-0 down having had 70% possession and Bayern are also 2-0 down having had 64% possession. I'm fairly sure that if it stays the same their supporters won't be celebrating.

Anorak!

He's going to start going on about zonal marking and gegenpressing soon, before telling us he's now a St Pauli fan.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #183 on: September 27, 2017, 11:18:09 PM »
I think that can be misleading though, as those teams are at the elite level and contain players with flawless technique, and to give up possession means giving it up to players with flawless technique.

At our level at not so sure it holds fast. Having lots of pointless possession because you can't find a way through a solid defence usually leads to a fuck up which gifts an opening to a team set up to exploit it. Teams with lots of possession end up being more vulnerable.

It may be misleading but my perception of those clubs that succeed in this division is that they are obdurate rather dominating.

I agree, the underlying truth is that if you let technically superior teams boss possession they'll beat you easily.  That said we should be the technically superior team in most games so if we have more possession we should find beating teams easily, in this league, becomes a habit.  That's what we all want to see happen.  This whole discussion is just retreading the whole result then good football vs good football then results argument, some people think you have to concentrate on results and then if better football comes with the confidence then that's great, others think that playing better football gives you a better chance to win games.

Shot dominance is a much more important stat that reflects games  much more accurately but when I mentioned that earlier in the season it got moaned about just as much, what we've seen in the last few games is us getting a lot more shots on target and we've scored 9 in 3 after struggling to get much over a goal a game for the previous 40 matches under Bruce.

You're probably right there. I think our style of attack is suited to be more direct, not hoofing but playing forward at pace rather than passing, meaning we create more in less time.
Watching us live against Barnsley and Forest, I noticed how disciplined we were without the ball as a team, players swapping automatically when the opposition moving into another zone with the ball, which meant the shape held and we didn't look uncomfortable, something long missing from our game.
It also means we break in the right shape. Once we sharpen up playing together, and the signs all point to this taking place, I think we'll be lethal. And we'll see more games virtually wrapped up by half time.

If you follow that through we'll get to the point where teams sit a little deeper and don't give us those spaces to play into, it's exactly how teams responded to MON creating a similar team.  That's why you need to be able to do both.  If teams sit deep we need to be able to move the ball quickly and have good movement to create gaps, if they try to keep the ball off us we draw them on a little and then, as you describe, break quickly.

In this league, with our squad, we should be able to find a way to win against most teams, we have the experience and talent to expect that much and if anyone gets judged harshly it's because the expectations are high.  Too many times in the last year we've been below the standard I'd expect and I suspect that's true for a huge number of fans.  Last night is the benchmark, that's what this team should be doing and if they do discussions around the style of play, possession, Bruce being sacked, various players being shit all quietens down or goes away completely because all we want to see a team that is delivering what we expect.

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
« Reply #184 on: September 28, 2017, 12:32:46 AM »
Highlights
Thank you👍 Just had chance to watch it- Villa with a cutting edge, whatever next ?

Offline Damo70

« Reply #185 on: September 28, 2017, 12:48:16 AM »
Blimey, there's some touchy people out there, merely making the point that possession means sod all a lot of the time. I don't take a blind bit of notice of it but see on BT that Benfica are 2-0 down having had 70% possession and Bayern are also 2-0 down having had 64% possession. I'm fairly sure that if it stays the same their supporters won't be celebrating.

Anorak!

He's going to start going on about zonal marking and gegenpressing soon, before telling us he's now a St Pauli fan.

Just don't ever ask my old man what he thinks of statistics and match summerisers/pundits. He is still disgusted that footballs don't have  laces in them anymore.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #186 on: September 28, 2017, 11:56:29 AM »

Anorak!

Indeed. I've heard he knows at thing or two about Norwegian number 10s plying their trade in the Swedish lower leagues too.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #187 on: September 28, 2017, 01:25:49 PM »
When I was at Jumbo I persuaded the owners to stock football fanzines, got chatting to a couple of German blokes who were over for a couple of weeks and did a St Pauli fanzine, asked them to drop some in and I'd pay them up front for them to save fannying about with sale or return and payment once they'd returned to Hamburg. I managed to sell one copy of a fanzine written entirely in German to somebody who bought it for a laugh. Luckily the owners saw the funny side and never let me pay in advance for anything again.

I'm off to watch You Tube videos of players in the Belgian second division now.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #188 on: September 28, 2017, 01:37:42 PM »
My favourite Belgian football related thing ever

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #189 on: September 28, 2017, 01:40:27 PM »
If you follow that through we'll get to the point where teams sit a little deeper and don't give us those spaces to play into, it's exactly how teams responded to MON creating a similar team.  That's why you need to be able to do both.  If teams sit deep we need to be able to move the ball quickly and have good movement to create gaps, if they try to keep the ball off us we draw them on a little and then, as you describe, break quickly.

In this league, with our squad, we should be able to find a way to win against most teams, we have the experience and talent to expect that much and if anyone gets judged harshly it's because the expectations are high.  Too many times in the last year we've been below the standard I'd expect and I suspect that's true for a huge number of fans.  Last night is the benchmark, that's what this team should be doing and if they do discussions around the style of play, possession, Bruce being sacked, various players being shit all quietens down or goes away completely because all we want to see a team that is delivering what we expect.
I agree with this Paul.  You can't expect to play counter attacking football all season, particularly if we're at home and close to the top of a league.  Teams will start coming to sit and we will have to learn to unpick them.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal