collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Drummond
[March 28, 2024, 11:39:23 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Monty
[March 28, 2024, 11:26:15 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Billy Walker
[March 28, 2024, 11:13:11 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 11:07:05 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Burton Albion v The Invincibles Post-Match Thread  (Read 19659 times)

Offline XXVilla

Re: Burton Albion v The Invincibles Post-Match Thread
« Reply #165 on: September 27, 2017, 09:27:23 PM »
Jeeze, pack it the fuck in. We've asked more than once to stop the sniping and quite frankly pathetic point scoring. We won't ask again, consider this a final warning. All of you.

Or you'll all be to bed with no tea...

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #166 on: September 27, 2017, 09:31:15 PM »
It's been a bit of a nothing day today with the weather, no rain or wind or temperature of any note. What's the weather been like where you live?

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #167 on: September 27, 2017, 09:32:19 PM »
It's been a bit of a nothing day today with the weather, no rain or wind or temperature of any note. What's the weather been like where you live?

It's pissing down in B29

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #168 on: September 27, 2017, 09:33:57 PM »
Cloudy, with a chance of teabagging.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
« Reply #169 on: September 27, 2017, 09:37:49 PM »
Just let the cat in, turns out it's raining here.

Offline LeeB

« Reply #170 on: September 27, 2017, 09:54:53 PM »
Cloudy, with a chance of teabagging.

Will the rain reach around your end?

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #171 on: September 27, 2017, 09:58:46 PM »
I just glanced out of the window and I think it's still raining however I can't be sure as it's very dark outside and rain is usually dark.

The rain is monopolising possession of the light.

It's flooding the midfield.

Quality.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #172 on: September 27, 2017, 10:00:15 PM »
I think that can be misleading though, as those teams are at the elite level and contain players with flawless technique, and to give up possession means giving it up to players with flawless technique.

At our level at not so sure it holds fast. Having lots of pointless possession because you can't find a way through a solid defence usually leads to a fuck up which gifts an opening to a team set up to exploit it. Teams with lots of possession end up being more vulnerable.

It may be misleading but my perception of those clubs that succeed in this division is that they are obdurate rather dominating.

I agree, the underlying truth is that if you let technically superior teams boss possession they'll beat you easily.  That said we should be the technically superior team in most games so if we have more possession we should find beating teams easily, in this league, becomes a habit.  That's what we all want to see happen.  This whole discussion is just retreading the whole result then good football vs good football then results argument, some people think you have to concentrate on results and then if better football comes with the confidence then that's great, others think that playing better football gives you a better chance to win games.

Shot dominance is a much more important stat that reflects games  much more accurately but when I mentioned that earlier in the season it got moaned about just as much, what we've seen in the last few games is us getting a lot more shots on target and we've scored 9 in 3 after struggling to get much over a goal a game for the previous 40 matches under Bruce.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
« Reply #173 on: September 27, 2017, 10:09:05 PM »
It stopped raining but has started again in Harrogate now.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #174 on: September 27, 2017, 10:11:13 PM »
Under Bruce the previous 40 odd games were pretty shit, no doubt. I believe he's chanced upon a team though with Hourihane, Davis and Albert. Throw Kodjia and Snodgrass in to the mix and their are goals throughout the front 5. The big dilema remains Whelan. Jedinak, Whelan or Onomah?

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #175 on: September 27, 2017, 10:18:20 PM »
Sorry to piss on your chips guys but we've had 29 today with minimal cloud and currently 22 with a balmy evening

along with Villa's upturn ......a perfect mix

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #176 on: September 27, 2017, 10:20:53 PM »
Whilst we continue to play 442 we're unlikely to dominate the possession stats. Worth it while we pack a goal threat like we do currently

Agree Matt.  4-4-2 is suited to more of a counter attacking style. 

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #177 on: September 27, 2017, 10:25:19 PM »
Blimey, there's some touchy people out there, merely making the point that possession means sod all a lot of the time. I don't take a blind bit of notice of it but see on BT that Benfica are 2-0 down having had 70% possession and Bayern are also 2-0 down having had 64% possession. I'm fairly sure that if it stays the same their supporters won't be celebrating.

and Man U are winning with 66%
and Roma won with 59%
and Barcelona are winning with 71%
and Celtic are winning with 70%

Chelsea are drawing with 55% and Juventus can't score despite having 79%

So 2 games are being won by teams with less of the ball and 4 are being won (or already won) by teams with more of the ball.  Seems to back up the point that having better possession is a good idea.  I think if we did the same degree of analysis on a broader sample you'd probably find the pattern stays fairly consistent.  On top of that I suspect you'd find a cliff edge somewhere around 40-42% where the chances of winning drops significantly.  I'm not doing it though, it's just not worth the time.

I think that can be misleading though, as those teams are at the elite level and contain players with flawless technique, and to give up possession means giving it up to players with flawless technique.

At our level at not so sure it holds fast. Having lots of pointless possession because you can't find a way through a solid defence usually leads to a fuck up which gifts an opening to a team set up to exploit it. Teams with lots of possession end up being more vulnerable.

It may be misleading but my perception of those clubs that succeed in this division is that they are obdurate rather dominating.

Agree with that.  Brentford had a lot of possession against us the other week, but the majority of it consisted of their two CBs and defensive midfielder playing the ball to each other in their own half. 

Offline LeeB

« Reply #178 on: September 27, 2017, 10:25:53 PM »

I agree, the underlying truth is that if you let technically superior teams boss possession they'll beat you easily.  That said we should be the technically superior team in most games so if we have more possession we should find beating teams easily, in this league, becomes a habit.  That's what we all want to see happen.  This whole discussion is just retreading the whole result then good football vs good football then results argument, some people think you have to concentrate on results and then if better football comes with the confidence then that's great, others think that playing better football gives you a better chance to win games.

Shot dominance is a much more important stat that reflects games  much more accurately but when I mentioned that earlier in the season it got moaned about just as much, what we've seen in the last few games is us getting a lot more shots on target and we've scored 9 in 3 after struggling to get much over a goal a game for the previous 40 matches under Bruce.

You're probably right there. I think our style of attack is suited to be more direct, not hoofing but playing forward at pace rather than passing, meaning we create more in less time.
Watching us live against Barnsley and Forest, I noticed how disciplined we were without the ball as a team, players swapping automatically when the opposition moving into another zone with the ball, which meant the shape held and we didn't look uncomfortable, something long missing from our game.
It also means we break in the right shape. Once we sharpen up playing together, and the signs all point to this taking place, I think we'll be lethal. And we'll see more games virtually wrapped up by half time.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #179 on: September 27, 2017, 10:43:57 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal