collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Burton Albion v The Invincibles Post-Match Thread  (Read 19665 times)

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: Burton Albion v The Invincibles Post-Match Thread
« Reply #150 on: September 27, 2017, 07:34:34 PM »
Hull were relegated because they lost most matches and usually had 30% or less possession in nearly all of their matches. I will now wait for someone to play the Leicester were champion card.

It's almost as if even after 3 straight wins, people are trying to find something that's not good enough instead of trying to be being positive. Each to their own I suppose.
No it's a completely separate discussion on possession. I have not related this to our results but you are doing that.

What was wrong with our possession last night?
Nothing and I don't know why you asked this question.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #151 on: September 27, 2017, 07:39:27 PM »
Hull were relegated because they lost most matches and usually had 30% or less possession in nearly all of their matches. I will now wait for someone to play the Leicester were champion card.

It's almost as if even after 3 straight wins, people are trying to find something that's not good enough instead of trying to be being positive. Each to their own I suppose.
No it's a completely separate discussion on possession. I have not related this to our results but you are doing that.

Nothing, and literally no one said there was a problem, you and Chris just created a strawman argument for no reason other than to poke fun at people who were unhappy with the possession against Forest.  When we get 35% or less people will comment on it, regardless of the result, because having that little of the ball makes it hard to control games and as you play better sides letting them have so much of the ball is a big risk.  You can still win games like that and if everything falls into place you can have a good run but it will always be the exception rather than the norm.  To make a big deal of it again today is pretty childish and doesn't reflect well on either of you.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #152 on: September 27, 2017, 07:56:51 PM »

Nothing, and literally no one said there was a problem, you and Chris just created a strawman argument for no reason other than to poke fun at people who were unhappy with the possession against Forest.  When we get 35% or less people will comment on it, regardless of the result, because having that little of the ball makes it hard to control games and as you play better sides letting them have so much of the ball is a big risk.  You can still win games like that and if everything falls into place you can have a good run but it will always be the exception rather than the norm.  To make a big deal of it again today is pretty childish and doesn't reflect well on either of you.

Thanks for the long but not unexpected lecture.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #153 on: September 27, 2017, 07:58:15 PM »
Jeeze, pack it the fuck in. We've asked more than once to stop the sniping and quite frankly pathetic point scoring. We won't ask again, consider this a final warning. All of you.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #154 on: September 27, 2017, 08:08:02 PM »
I apologise if my posts come across as sniping that wasn't the intent and specifically I'll hold my hand up that the last line of my reply was unnecessary.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #155 on: September 27, 2017, 08:11:19 PM »
In other words please give it a rest and enjoy our current unvincibility whilst it lasts.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #156 on: September 27, 2017, 08:48:02 PM »
Blimey, there's some touchy people out there, merely making the point that possession means sod all a lot of the time. I don't take a blind bit of notice of it but see on BT that Benfica are 2-0 down having had 70% possession and Bayern are also 2-0 down having had 64% possession. I'm fairly sure that if it stays the same their supporters won't be celebrating.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #157 on: September 27, 2017, 08:51:50 PM »
Blimey, there's some touchy people out there, merely making the point that possession means sod all a lot of the time. I don't take a blind bit of notice of it but see on BT that Benfica are 2-0 down having had 70% possession and Bayern are also 2-0 down having had 64% possession. I'm fairly sure that if it stays the same their supporters won't be celebrating.

Anorak!

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
« Reply #158 on: September 27, 2017, 09:00:14 PM »

Anorak!

Trust me, it was even more boring writing it. That's why I very rarely comment on any match threads or manage to stay awake for any televised match. Made it to the 57th minute of the Chelsea match though, might make it through 90minutes for the first time this seaszzzzzzz....

Offline paul_e

« Reply #159 on: September 27, 2017, 09:17:30 PM »

and Man U are winning with 66%
and Roma won with 59%
and Barcelona are winning with 71%
and Celtic are winning with 70%

Chelsea are drawing with 55% and Juventus can't score despite having 79%

So 2 games are being won by teams with less of the ball and 4 are being won (or already won) by teams with more of the ball.  Seems to back up the point that having better possession is a good idea.  I think if we did the same degree of analysis on a broader sample you'd probably find the pattern stays fairly consistent.  On top of that I suspect you'd find a cliff edge somewhere around 40-42% where the chances of winning drops significantly.  I'm not doing it though, it's just not worth the time.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #160 on: September 27, 2017, 09:19:02 PM »
Juve have scored so it's 5-2 now in favour of higher possession, with the game that's being drawn the one with the closest split on possession.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #161 on: September 27, 2017, 09:20:44 PM »
I just glanced out of the window and I think it's still raining however I can't be sure as it's very dark outside and rain is usually dark.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #162 on: September 27, 2017, 09:24:26 PM »
I just glanced out of the window and I think it's still raining however I can't be sure as it's very dark outside and rain is usually dark.

The rain is monopolising possession of the light.

Offline LeeB

« Reply #163 on: September 27, 2017, 09:24:53 PM »

and Man U are winning with 66%
and Roma won with 59%
and Barcelona are winning with 71%
and Celtic are winning with 70%

Chelsea are drawing with 55% and Juventus can't score despite having 79%

So 2 games are being won by teams with less of the ball and 4 are being won (or already won) by teams with more of the ball.  Seems to back up the point that having better possession is a good idea.  I think if we did the same degree of analysis on a broader sample you'd probably find the pattern stays fairly consistent.  On top of that I suspect you'd find a cliff edge somewhere around 40-42% where the chances of winning drops significantly.  I'm not doing it though, it's just not worth the time.

I think that can be misleading though, as those teams are at the elite level and contain players with flawless technique, and to give up possession means giving it up to players with flawless technique.

At our level at not so sure it holds fast. Having lots of pointless possession because you can't find a way through a solid defence usually leads to a fuck up which gifts an opening to a team set up to exploit it. Teams with lots of possession end up being more vulnerable.

It may be misleading but my perception of those clubs that succeed in this division is that they are obdurate rather dominating.

Offline LeeB

« Reply #164 on: September 27, 2017, 09:25:41 PM »

The rain is monopolising possession of the light.

It's flooding the midfield.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal