collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

MOTD by ChicagoLion
[Today at 07:34:31 AM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by AV84
[Today at 07:22:26 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by john2710
[Today at 06:41:12 AM]

GUESS THE CROWD R26: ASTON VILLA v Chelsea, Saturday, 27th April!🥧 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 06:25:57 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 03:52:31 AM]

Kaine Kesler Hayden by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:49:43 AM]

Snooker by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:29:25 AM]

Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 01:23:08 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Burton Albion v Aston Villa Pre-Match Thread  (Read 12882 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: Burton Albion v Aston Villa Pre-Match Thread
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2017, 05:45:34 PM »
This will be much tougher than we think.  I have to say what Clough has done at Burton has been incredible.  They lost their main signing before the start of the season.  And they always piss all over SHA.  So 1-1 will be a goodish result to keep the run going.

Have to say I think Clough jnr does a decent job wherever he goes.
There was a time where I thought he'd be ideal for us, but, like his dad, he seems better at a smaller club

I didn't think he did too badly at Derby or Sheffield United but on the other hand he obviously didn't do well enough. He has done a great job on both occasions at Burton, although to be fair the likes of Rowett and Hasselbaink also did well in between.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2017, 05:53:42 PM »
This will be much tougher than we think.  I have to say what Clough has done at Burton has been incredible.  They lost their main signing before the start of the season.  And they always piss all over SHA.  So 1-1 will be a goodish result to keep the run going.

Have to say I think Clough jnr does a decent job wherever he goes.
There was a time where I thought he'd be ideal for us, but, like his dad, he seems better at a smaller club

I didn't think he did too badly at Derby or Sheffield United but on the other hand he obviously didn't do well enough. He has done a great job on both occasions at Burton, although to be fair the likes of Rowett and Hasselbaink also did well in between.

Sheffield United fans think differently.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2017, 07:08:59 PM »
Echoing many, we should be winning this sort of game if we want promotion.

Promotion? I've already lowered my expectations and see us in the play-offs which are a bloody lottery.
Obviously with the squad we have and a manager that's had 10/11 months with the club we should expect to be right up there in the automatic promotion spots but I just don't see it happening.

Offline maigrait

• GM : 12.07.2019
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2017, 07:41:28 PM »
one nil to the good guys (us)

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2017, 07:54:15 PM »

To go up automatically, we have to win SOME of these sort of games. But not all of them

Offline Villa75

« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2017, 08:05:04 PM »

To go up automatically, we have to win SOME of these sort of games. But not all of them

Don't agree.

To go up automatically, especially after our poor start, we have to win nearly all of these types of games - against teams who will be in the bottom third throughout the season. "SOME" won't cut it I'm afraid.

Offline l_mckay

« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2017, 08:21:29 PM »
1-1 kodija to get his first goal

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2017, 08:23:03 PM »
To go up automatically you need about 90 points which is easiest by getting as close to 30 wins as possible and realistically 26-27 is the minimum.  If we looked like getting 17-19 home wins then we could afford to drop some points in games like this but our home record so far is nothing like good enough for that, we're already getting close to the point where we'd have to win every home game for the rest of the season.

That's why dropping points at home to Brentford and Boro (and Hull) was so damaging.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2017, 08:37:15 PM »
Most people think 10 games is a good time to take stock. Draw this and we're mid table with 14 points after 10 games. That won't be good enough. 16 points after 10 is hardly much better, but matters because it will be a third on the trott.

The excuses have to stop. Teams like Burton should be beaten by any team with ambition.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2017, 08:57:55 PM »

Don't agree.

To go up automatically, especially after our poor start, we have to win nearly all of these types of games - against teams who will be in the bottom third throughout the season. "SOME" won't cut it I'm afraid.

But no team is going to do that and we're not going to win every home game from here on in. That's a tough ask for anybody.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2017, 09:04:24 PM »

Don't agree.

But no team is going to do that and we're not going to win every home game from here on in. That's a tough ask for anybody.

Exactly right, that's why starting the season with no plan of how we wanted to play and looking under prepared was such a fuck up, especially given how poor our away form was last season.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2017, 09:09:02 PM »

Don't agree.

Exactly right, that's why starting the season with no plan of how we wanted to play and looking under prepared was such a fuck up, especially given how poor our away form was last season.

But we've lost two so far. A disapointing start, but hardly a fuck up.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2017, 09:11:15 PM »
Just freed up some time that means I can go tomorrow ...if only I had a ticket. Anyone looking for a good home for any spare  please remember me.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2017, 09:20:17 PM »

Don't agree.

But we've lost two so far. A disapointing start, but hardly a fuck up.

We've recovered reasonably well but 1 point from the first 3 when we needed a strong start is a fuck up, letting ourselves be 7 points off the pace already is fuck up, knowing your season is over with 7-8 games to go and not using the rest of the games as an early pre-season and embedding a style was a fuck up.  All in my opinion and I know you don't agree but, as you say, achieving the home record we'd have hoped for is much harder now than it was.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2017, 09:35:37 PM »

Don't agree.

The teams that go up automatically WILL "win nearly all of these types of games - against teams who will be in the bottom third......"

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal