collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:36:44 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:32:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Rotation  (Read 5285 times)

Offline wittonwarrior

Rotation
« on: September 23, 2017, 10:33:48 PM »
Debate between legends today tony Morley agrees with my view always play your strongest 11 - mark Walters likes the idea of blooding new talent and pitting their wits against better standard of play. Pity mr Walters was not there Tuesday

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
Re: Rotation
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 10:49:15 PM »
Difficult one that one, when you are trying to find your best team as we still are the argument of getting them playing every game is strong - the other one might be that the team picked on Tuesday would have been ok had he put 4/5 first team players on the bench as options, particularly as not many have played every league game.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 08:02:12 AM »
When ye come into the land which I give you, then shall the land keep a sabbath unto the LORD. Six years thou shalt sow thy field, and six years thou shalt prune thy vineyard, and gather in the fruit thereof; But in the seventh year shall be a sabbath of rest unto the land, a sabbath for the LORD: thou shalt neither sow thy field, nor prune thy vineyard. That which groweth of its own accord of thy harvest thou shalt not reap, neither gather the grapes of thy vine undressed: for it is a year of rest unto the land. (Leviticus 25:2-7)

Thou shalt ignore rotation and use just fourteen all season. Do not prune your Withe unless suspended, then gather your Geddis and harvest your Deacy sparingly. Follow the word of Ron, give 110% and thou shalt still reap the League. (Saunders 80:81)

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 08:20:17 AM »
With 2 away games this week after a 5.30 kick off today, we will have to rotate. Trouble is beyond Onomah I am not sure who I would trust to come in.

Offline Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 09:18:48 AM »
Bolton is home and then there's the break for the non internationals like Terry and Adomah, but I agree Ozzjim and hope some of the walking wounded are available this week.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 09:26:27 AM »
Same 11 for Burton which is a tough game

Freshen up for Bolton: new RB, Onomah, and some from Lansbury, hogan, O'Hare

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 09:29:48 AM »
Play the best XI that are fit and available in the manner which stands the greatest chance of defeating the opposition.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 10:33:56 AM »
With all due to respect to Tony Morley I think what applied in his time is less relevant these days. It was the days of one sub and relatively small squads, so all teams pretty much had a first eleven and a couple as backup. Nowadays there is far more emphasis on using the squad and with fitness levels monitored on a more scientific basis, rest and recovery is seen as far more important. Part of the reason for the substitutions yesterday I am sure was with an eye on playing again on Tuesday. If the side you are playing has used rotation to keep players fresher then you start at a disadvantage if you haven't.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 10:52:00 AM »
Impossible with 46 games and so many Saturday-Tuesdays to play your strongest 11 all through the season.

Everyone rotates.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 09:27:39 PM »
I was brought up on heavy pitches, players who had to ensure much heavier and physical challenges.

We used 14 players in the league over the whole of the season so why are things so much different today.

The counter argument I understand of up and coming players needing to prove themselves.  These up and coming players, play in competitive football at different age levels.  This argument would however have some credence if when they stepped up they were faced with first team  players from the opposition however almost always  they face the same kind  of player in terms of development and calibre when playing in the league cup and sometimes the FA cup.

All this means to us  the fans is that we are asked to play first team players to watch either stiffs or development players in what  is effectively a reserve   team match. 

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 09:31:48 PM »
I was brought up on heavy pitches, players who had to ensure much heavier and physical challenges.

We used 14 players in the league over the whole of the season so why are things so much different today.

For the same reason why footballs aren't like cannonballs and pitches aren't mudbaths from November to April. Football's changed; if you'd had seven substitutes and a squad of 25 in 1980-81 we would have use a lot more than fourteen players.

Online ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 10:48:47 PM »
If he rotates you many players against Burton I will be miffed off. But with two games in a week and a few old codgers in the team we may need to shuffle a bit. Not the wholesale changes we have been seeing this season though, it loses momentum.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 04:45:13 AM »
You'd think people would be more understanding after the MON days of fading come February.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 06:46:53 AM »
It's an absolute no brainer. Unless you think that the entire football world has made a mistake and there really is no need to rotate. Which seems unlikely

As per above, MoN literally proved the point EVERY FUCKING SPRING

Offline boozey182

• GM : PCM
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 11:08:23 AM »
I think that rotation is much easier, and more effective, when you have a definite system implemented throughout the club. Like we're supposed to be working on for the future. That way, the players coming in know their exact role and what's expected of them. When you're constantly chopping and changing the formation and tactics, like how we started the season, it's more difficult for players to come in without cracks showing a little.

Hopefully we're starting to be a bit more settled now. Bruce seems to have stumbled upon (or studiously worked out) a winning set up, which should make it a bit easier to introduce a couple of changes.

Of course it would have been to everyone's benefit if we'd have discovered these tactics in May, and then could have had a summer to work towards it, but hey, better late than never I guess.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal