collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 10:33:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 10:33:49 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 10:32:30 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

Re: FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by FrankyH
[Today at 10:19:07 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:10:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Invincibles vs Forest post-match thread  (Read 16885 times)

Offline Gregorys Boy

Re: Invincibles vs Forest post-match thread
« Reply #150 on: September 24, 2017, 02:10:23 PM »
I'd say we just about edged that and took our two chances very well.  When you've had the start to the season we've had its just important to get over the line in these games and worry about how later.  My main concern from yesterday is the sloppy mistakes and how light we still look in the middle of the park.  But progress is being made.  Lets hope don't do a classic Villa and drop silly points against Burton and Bolton :-X

Offline maigrait

• GM : 12.07.2019
« Reply #151 on: September 24, 2017, 02:41:41 PM »
Made a point of watching whelan the whole match. He's had a lot of negative press over here about his position in the republic squad. Quite right too he was terrible.

For every decent positive through ball he made I'd say there were 4/5 wayward, backward and mistimed balls. He doesn't tackle but he seems to have the westwood pointy finger thing going on.

He is an average squad player at most.

Hourihane did very well and is starting to become a handy player for us.

Snodgrass was good going forward, total crap at tracking back.

Overall a C+ must try harder.

Offline walsall villain

« Reply #152 on: September 24, 2017, 02:51:07 PM »
Before kick off I was thinking that we should be walking this league with that line up. The first 45 minutes backed that thought up, we didn't create that many chances but Forest didn't seem to have a goal in them. They reminded me of one of Lambert's phases, plenty of possession in their own half with the occasional cock up giving us a chance. Second half was Hull like, a game we looked like winning easily but might lose. I came away still doubting this manager can get us up. Our two goals involved Kodja's creativity out of nothing which was our get out of jail card last year. I just wish we would press the opposition when they have possession but that doesn't appear to be the Bruce way.

Offline Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
« Reply #153 on: September 24, 2017, 05:56:21 PM »
I think Steve says sit tight and hope something happens. Over a season that will bring plenty of points.  But ffs how crap is our style? If the other team gets ahead we are screwed

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #154 on: September 24, 2017, 06:07:41 PM »
I wish we could have some possession to kill off games

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #155 on: September 24, 2017, 06:21:58 PM »
My 1st home match this season. Had a great pre-match drink at the Barton's. 1st half very good, second half pressed back not helped by change in formation with Snodgrass and Adomah playing deeper. Very good performances by Chester, Hourihane, Adomah, Kodjia and Davis. Johnstone did what he had to. Elmo and Whelan had a good 1st half and indifferent second. Taylor was okay. Snodgrass looked off the pace throughout and should have been substituted 1st. Terry only became our best defender after our 2nd goal when he became far more dominant. Maybe this is why he is at our club; to help us see out games. In my view Bruce still has it all to do! I was sat 8 rows behind Bruce yesterday and his level of obvious panic (along with his coaches) with the way the 2nd half was progressing and his substitutions was a little concerning. I'm sure it doesn't send a positive message to his players as it didn't to me! I love the fact that DLBIA the Villa say continues to be played at the end of winning home matches. UTV!

Offline Fasth56

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #156 on: September 24, 2017, 06:35:23 PM »
BUT, the 20 minutes after half time had me wondering what Bruce says to them during the break. We were bloody awful.

I don't think it's Bruce half time team talk, I don't think he gives one, other than go out keep it tight and we'll be ok. However I think the opposing manager makes changes and Bruce is like a rabbit in headlights trying to figure out what has changed, whilst the opposition are playing with the freedom of the park.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #157 on: September 24, 2017, 08:16:03 PM »
I am a little confused about one thing. Teams changed end at the start and I naturally assumed Forest won the toss and elected to defend Holte End as some teams tend to do however Forest also  kicked off?? Any observations?

Online FrankyH

• GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #158 on: September 24, 2017, 08:27:25 PM »
I wondered the same thing . I think it has happened in a previous home game this season.

Offline cdward

« Reply #159 on: September 24, 2017, 08:45:15 PM »
The biggest concern is that we rely on Kodjia too much.
We struggled without him in the first games of this season. Yesterday he had a hand in both goals, a great through ball for Adomah to score, and his running at goal that drew the foul for Hourihanes free kick.

If he remains fit, great, if not we will struggle again. Kodjia glosses over the shortcomings of a Bruce team.

Offline dave shelley

« Reply #160 on: September 24, 2017, 08:50:42 PM »
I am a little confused about one thing. Teams changed end at the start and I naturally assumed Forest won the toss and elected to defend Holte End as some teams tend to do however Forest also  kicked off?? Any observations?

It's possible that Villa won the toss and elected to defend the Witton first half, rare these days I know but, when I was young I remember them always doing that.

The laws always stated that the team winning the toss prior to kick-off had a choice of ends or kick-off but not both.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #161 on: September 24, 2017, 09:03:57 PM »
Cheers. So It was our choice to attack Holte End in the first half.

Offline Fasth56

« Reply #162 on: September 24, 2017, 09:47:51 PM »

Evidently it's a Terry thing, doesn't like attacking Holte in 2nd half, possibly left over from Chelsea days, that's what I was told when I asked

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #163 on: September 25, 2017, 12:11:18 AM »
We struggled without him in the first games of this season. Yesterday he had a hand in both goals, a great through ball for Adomah to score, and his running at goal that drew the foul for Hourihanes free kick.

If he remains fit, great, if not we will struggle again. Kodjia glosses over the shortcomings of a Bruce team.

Not only do we rely too much on Kodja but even with him in the side we could still do with another different kind of striker to work off him and support him.  I think we need a target man who can also score at least ten goals a season.

Online oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #164 on: September 25, 2017, 08:41:56 AM »

Not only do we rely too much on Kodja but even with him in the side we could still do with another different kind of striker to work off him and support him.  I think we need a target man who can also score at least ten goals a season.

I think we may have that guy already, Davis may well end up with more than 10 goals if we persevere with him

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal