collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Invincibles vs Forest post-match thread  (Read 17001 times)

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
Re: Invincibles vs Forest post-match thread
« Reply #120 on: September 24, 2017, 09:56:42 AM »
Good result decent performance. We're getting there I think. But why do some of us feel the need for a scapegoat? Right now Whelan is just the type of scrapper we need in the middle of the park and he's doing the job he's been brought in to do.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #121 on: September 24, 2017, 09:57:17 AM »
We were clearly the better side in my eyes and should have gone into half time further ahead. BUT, the 20 minutes after half time had me wondering what Bruce says to them during the break. We were bloody awful. Fortunately the goal put us back on track and Villa weren't really troubled for the rest of the game even if the fans felt the tension.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #122 on: September 24, 2017, 09:57:29 AM »
The Onomah sub made a lot of sense. He was poor though

I'm sure it will be back to 442 v Burton

But not sure we can play that way every game. We can't spend so much time without the ball

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #123 on: September 24, 2017, 10:01:30 AM »
Good result decent performance. We're getting there I think. But why do some of us feel the need for a scapegoat? Right now Whelan is just the type of scrapper we need in the middle of the park and he's doing the job he's been brought in to do.

Whelan had a bit of a mare giving the ball away in the second half but in the first half I thought he did his job and as you say we do need someone in that role. He played one cracking pass to Adomah.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #124 on: September 24, 2017, 10:15:07 AM »

I like him but he was poor yesterday.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #125 on: September 24, 2017, 10:15:19 AM »
The Onomah sub made a lot of sense. He was poor though

I'm sure it will be back to 442 v Burton

But not sure we can play that way every game. We can't spend so much time without the ball
Agree on all points. If we were a great counter attacking side we could probably live with less than 40% possession however we are not so we need to get at least 50/50 in most matches to make it a little easier for us.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #126 on: September 24, 2017, 10:15:21 AM »
Something not mentioned. Snodgrass very lucky not to get a straight red in 1st half. Pretty deliberate and sly elbow on traore. All the forest bench saw it. The ref only saw Snodgrass offer his apology to player so let him off.

As others have said

Great win

Poor performance

Online olaftab

« Reply #127 on: September 24, 2017, 10:17:19 AM »
Except he is not a scrapper more of a picker upper of left overs if he get there before everyone else.

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #128 on: September 24, 2017, 10:18:28 AM »
perhaps Brucie's  HT team talk is so soporific they actually nod off

they certainly play like they've just woken up

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #129 on: September 24, 2017, 10:21:24 AM »
On reflection despite making it hard for ourselves we look to have much better shape and understanding of our roles than previously and we look a more cohesive team. Despite needlessly conceding possession and territory our shape gave us much better resilience. I felt we pressed well at the start of the game and that lessened as the game wore on.

Scores

Johnstone 7 - did what was required but needs to work on his kicking
Elmo 7 - very solid but occasionally communication with Snoddy at fault.
Chester 7 - solid but looks nervous on the ball
Terry 7.5 - poor challenge for their goal but starting to look a cut above
Taylor 7 - Solid
Whelan 6 - gave the ball away far too much but was positionally disciplined which got us out of a hole on numerous occasions
Hourihane 7.5 - is learning the discipline required in this formation and less prone to go walkabout, very impressed
Snodgrass 6 - very poor, blind alleys, losing possession cheaply was out on his feet by 70 mins.
Adomah 8 - was on fire 1st half and very disciplined 2nd half keep it up Albert
Kodjia 7 - in effect assisted both goals has the X factor this formation, team and club need, drifted in and out but when he’s fit....
Davis 7 - good solid play from young Keinan, learning his role and putting in a shift, prob needs to show more for the ball on occasion.

Bruce 6.5 - Better, needs to stop the tendency to let the team shrink back and improve the possession stats but he’s made some decisions in recent weeks that have led to us having much better shape and resilience.

Online olaftab

« Reply #130 on: September 24, 2017, 10:21:41 AM »
their No 6 was constantly slaughtering Elmo  - looked useful.
He was in their midfield last season when we played them and at left back yesterday looked  better than Taylor.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #131 on: September 24, 2017, 10:34:21 AM »
Just me who thought Terry should've done better for the goal?

Surprised how easily Murphy held him off and then turned. Think that is what surprised Chester aswell as he just stood still and allowed the shot to come in.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #132 on: September 24, 2017, 10:36:52 AM »
I think although Terry should have been a bit stronger with Murphy, he probably wasn't expecting Whelan's shins to present the ball on a plate for him.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #133 on: September 24, 2017, 10:37:53 AM »
Passes the ball for fun...in their own half and square. Yet another side who are utterly toothless in possession. All the penetration of a damp wheatabix.

Trouble is we'll then go away to a Reading or Fulham who do value possession, lose the game comfortably and then have 10 pages thread on here on where it's going wrong.

You can win games with sub 40 percentage possession, we did yesterday, probably many times this season and also did it a few times under Lambert (that Southampton away game the best example).

Can you actually get promoted from this league without being a front foot, dominant team home and away. I'm not sure really. I'd be amazed if this approach is good enough for top 2 anyway.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #134 on: September 24, 2017, 10:39:01 AM »
their No 6 was constantly slaughtering Elmo  - looked useful.
He was in their midfield last season when we played them and at left back yesterday looked  better than Taylor.

Armand Traore. Started off at Arsenal but hasn't done much with his career since and seems to have settled to being a well paid championship player.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal