collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:01:31 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 31 Years Ago  (Read 2420 times)

Online Chico Hamilton III

31 Years Ago
« on: September 20, 2017, 10:18:42 AM »
For anyone not old enough to remember.....

September 21 1986, Sunday Times

Football Focus: Eat your heart out Mr Hodge

BYLINE: JASON TOMAS

WHILE Nottingham Forest extended their Championship lead yesterday with an awesome demolition job on Chelsea, England midfielder Steve Hodge was left reflecting more gloomily than ever on his decision to leave them for Aston Villa last year.
Hodge, who has recently asked Villa for a transfer, was repeatedly booed by their supporters against Norwich, and it was his mistake - a mistimed back-pass - which led to Norwich taking the lead.
Villa lost 4-1, a result which helped push them to the bottom of the table, and newly-promoted Norwich into second position. Later, there was another disappointment for Villa when they were refused permission by Manchester City to interview Billy McNeill for their vacant manager's job.

NORWICH could drop a place today if Everton beat Manchester United before the BBC TV cameras. But their start to the season, like Forest's and Wimbledon's, does reinforce the intriguing thought that the big-city giants might be overshadowed this season by their less well-to-do rivals.
'There aren't many thrills in Norwich,' said Villa's Andy Gray, 'but they are exceptionally well organised, especially at the back. I was particularly impressed today by their central defender, Ian Butterworth - he looks a tremendous player. ' Butterworth is currently on loan to Norwich ..from Nottingham Forest.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
Re: 31 Years Ago
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 11:57:07 AM »
I can still see the back pass and him turning and Hodge walking back as Steve Hunt puts his arm around him before gesturing to the crowd.

I never thought I'd see such an atmosphere at VP, then came 2015/16.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 12:17:08 PM »
For anyone not old enough to remember.....

September 21 1986, Sunday Times

Football Focus: Eat your heart out Mr Hodge

BYLINE: JASON TOMAS

WHILE Nottingham Forest extended their Championship lead yesterday with an awesome demolition job on Chelsea, England midfielder Steve Hodge was left reflecting more gloomily than ever on his decision to leave them for Aston Villa last year.
Hodge, who has recently asked Villa for a transfer, was repeatedly booed by their supporters against Norwich, and it was his mistake - a mistimed back-pass - which led to Norwich taking the lead.
Villa lost 4-1, a result which helped push them to the bottom of the table, and newly-promoted Norwich into second position. Later, there was another disappointment for Villa when they were refused permission by Manchester City to interview Billy McNeill for their vacant manager's job.

NORWICH could drop a place today if Everton beat Manchester United before the BBC TV cameras. But their start to the season, like Forest's and Wimbledon's, does reinforce the intriguing thought that the big-city giants might be overshadowed this season by their less well-to-do rivals.
'There aren't many thrills in Norwich,' said Villa's Andy Gray, 'but they are exceptionally well organised, especially at the back. I was particularly impressed today by their central defender, Ian Butterworth - he looks a tremendous player. ' Butterworth is currently on loan to Norwich ..from Nottingham Forest.

wow that is bleak

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 12:25:34 PM »
12,304 was the attendance.

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 12:29:42 PM »
Never mind though, at least Man City gave in and let us woo Billy McShit from them just in time to get us both relagated

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 02:06:43 PM »

Jesus, is that all? I was on the Holte and there was a good, defiant atmosphere in the 2nd half. I thought there were about 18-19k there.

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 02:10:23 PM »

Jesus, is that all? I was on the Holte and there was a good, defiant atmosphere in the 2nd half. I thought there were about 18-19k there.

Doug-onomics.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 05:14:24 PM »
Never mind though, at least Man City gave in and let us woo Billy McShit from them just in time to get us both relagated

It is ironic how possibly the worst manager we have ever had managed to get two teams relegated from the top flight that season and the best manager we have had in modern times manged to achieve the same thing the previous season.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 05:18:12 PM by Damo70 »

Offline class-of-82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 05:35:10 PM »
and I can remember feeling how proud I was that in that 86 world cup game that he was a villa player brought in with hoddle to rescue England in that final group game.
only to realise that he was being tapped up to sign for spurs

asshole

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 10:03:39 PM »
and I can remember feeling how proud I was that in that 86 world cup game that he was a villa player brought in with hoddle to rescue England in that final group game.

asshole

In my mind's eye, I can still see the moment when the ball leaves his foot as he stands one up for the boy line-acre (one for all you Mick Channon fans out there).
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 10:06:37 PM by Lastfootstamper »

Offline Damo70

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 12:07:04 PM »

asshole

In my mind's eye, I can still see the moment when the ball leaves his foot as he stands one up for the boy line-acre (one for all you Mick Channon fans out there).

The first Villa player I can remember going to a World Cup with England (and he was probably the first ever to do it) was Peter Withe in 1982. Shame he never played. But not only did he have two other European Cup winning strikers ahead of him in Francis and Woodcock, if I remember right Paul Mariner was on a great run of goalscoring in consecutive appearances going into the finals.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 07:10:12 PM »
Doug-onomics.

Either that was a very real thing or we are all just really crap at estimating crowd sizes.

I can't tell you the number of times eyebrows were raised by my family or mates when the "official" crowd size was announced.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2017, 01:09:16 PM »
Ron Wylie was in charge for the Norwich game. My late uncle was a steward at the sty and I met Ron Wylie after we played there for Frank Worthington's testimonial (in honour of his three years service to the club)! He was a very boring man to listen to . I seem to recall he mentioned (more than once) the fact he had captained both Small Heath and Villa.

Offline FranzBiberkopf

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 01:44:10 PM »
Frank Worthington

He lives up by me so I see him out and about quite a lot. I got talking to him once and got him to sign a bit of scrap paper upon which I'd scrawled "Up the Villa" to give to my Blue-nosed mates. He was every bit as you'd imagine him to be - leather jacket, straggly hair, sozzled look about him - but decent bloke still. Seemed fonder of his time at Bolton and Leicester than at Blues when I questioned him.

Back to the subject in hand - I can still recall that backpass. Classic one those moments when everything seemed to run in slo-mo. Shudder.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal