collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Middlesbrough League Cup Exit Thread  (Read 19145 times)

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Aston Villa v Middlesbrough League Cup Exit Thread
« Reply #165 on: September 20, 2017, 05:34:50 PM »
We can't play ourselves, though.

Both teams would find a way to lose embarrassingly

Online tomd2103

« Reply #166 on: September 20, 2017, 07:49:52 PM »
it was the game where ray Houghton took a free kick about 20 yards from where the foul  was for liverpools first goal

That was the season after.:

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #167 on: September 20, 2017, 07:50:29 PM »
it was the game where ray Houghton took a free kick about 20 yards from where the foul  was for liverpools first goal

I'm sure that was the league game early in the next season.

Offline myf

« Reply #168 on: September 20, 2017, 08:20:03 PM »
Last time we were in the second division we played Liverpool at home in the cup and it was a massive occasion. Live on telly, full house, fantastic atmosphere, fantastic manager. Back in the days when the Cup meant something and every team went out to win every game. Nobody thought about a cup run affecting our promotion, everyone just wanted to win something. Feel sorry for people who never got to enjoy such experiences   

That was the last time we had 46K for a game.

Didn't we have 46k for the Holtes last stand?

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #169 on: September 20, 2017, 08:37:43 PM »

That was the season after.:

Another starstruck referee who should of never reffed another game after that.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 08:51:12 PM by The Edge »

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #170 on: September 20, 2017, 08:58:11 PM »
There's difference between pining for it and seeing the benefits of it. If we'd have got through i'd have wanted a home draw against the shittest team left in it, same as I always do.
Yes and there is a difference between competing properly in a cup competition building a winning mentality and wishing for a big draw so that we can put a few ££'s in the till. Aston Villa FC should be doing the former and not concerned about the latter.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #171 on: September 20, 2017, 09:38:04 PM »
Last time we were in the second division we played Liverpool at home in the cup and it was a massive occasion. Live on telly, full house, fantastic atmosphere, fantastic manager. Back in the days when the Cup meant something and every team went out to win every game. Nobody thought about a cup run affecting our promotion, everyone just wanted to win something. Feel sorry for people who never got to enjoy such experiences   

That was the last time we had 46K for a game.

Didn't we have 46k for the Holtes last stand?
Yes we did. 92'' wasn't it? Who can forget Ronnie Rosenthals miss in front of the Holte?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 09:43:42 PM by The Edge »

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #172 on: September 20, 2017, 09:58:43 PM »
It would have been 1994. I thought there was 40 plus on the gate.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #173 on: September 20, 2017, 10:02:51 PM »
Holte's last stand 45000 from memory. Scousers FA Cup 87/88 46000.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #174 on: September 20, 2017, 10:28:28 PM »
Regardless of whatever team he'd put out last night, he would have been under pressure to win on Saturday anyway. He hasn't put himself under any extra presure, it's been on him since he's been here. Last night's team selection makes not a jot of difference, even if we'd won the game.

I totally disagree with this.

I don't give a flying fuck about who we might have got in the next round, so all that doesn't bother me, but the fact is we had a rare win at the weekend, and the chance to build some confidence or momentum.

If he'd have put out a less laughable team last night, we might have made it look at least like a game. Instead, he didn't, and we put out a surrender team. The result of that is a great big kick in the bollocks whereas even losing respectably might have been enough to maintain some sort of momentum.

He has been under pressure since he's been here - yes, you're right about that - but he has now needlessly added more pressure.

That's what drives me nuts about this bloke, he needlessly makes things more fucking difficult and complicated than they need be.

He's quite clearly not going to get us up. We don't get up this season, we are financially fucked. We do not have the time and money to be patient with this one, I'm afraid. Lose at the weekend, and he has to go.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #175 on: September 20, 2017, 10:34:56 PM »
He should have been replaced weeks/months ago. Nice enough bloke but not suited to the job of our manager. We're not hysterical, we just don't rate you.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #176 on: September 20, 2017, 11:18:10 PM »
From official site,

On this day in 1994, Villa Park’s famous Holte End was used as a terrace for the final time.

There was a carnival mood as 19,210 supporters – each of whom received a certificate to mark the occasion – stood on the Holte to watch the last home game of the season against Liverpool. Appropriately all three goals were scored at that end, Dwight Yorke’s second-half brace giving Villa a 2-1 win after the visitors had led through Robbie Fowler at the interval.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #177 on: September 20, 2017, 11:23:14 PM »
I'm going to guess 45724 for the holtes last stand.

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
« Reply #178 on: September 21, 2017, 12:09:42 AM »
Any positives to take from this game ??

No traffic for those heading home.

It didn't rain & Callum O'Hare !

Offline Clampy

« Reply #179 on: September 21, 2017, 07:08:18 AM »
Regardless of whatever team he'd put out last night, he would have been under pressure to win on Saturday anyway. He hasn't put himself under any extra presure, it's been on him since he's been here. Last night's team selection makes not a jot of difference, even if we'd won the game.

I totally disagree with this.

I don't give a flying fuck about who we might have got in the next round, so all that doesn't bother me, but the fact is we had a rare win at the weekend, and the chance to build some confidence or momentum.

If he'd have put out a less laughable team last night, we might have made it look at least like a game. Instead, he didn't, and we put out a surrender team. The result of that is a great big kick in the bollocks whereas even losing respectably might have been enough to maintain some sort of momentum.

He has been under pressure since he's been here - yes, you're right about that - but he has now needlessly added more pressure.

That's what drives me nuts about this bloke, he needlessly makes things more fucking difficult and complicated than they need be.

He's quite clearly not going to get us up. We don't get up this season, we are financially fucked. We do not have the time and money to be patient with this one, I'm afraid. Lose at the weekend, and he has to go.

Your very last line proves my point really. People have been saying that for the last few matches. Do you really think a strong line up and a place in the next round of the cup would have changed that?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal