collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

NSWE Investment by AV82EC
[Today at 06:30:06 PM]

Champions League Contention by LeeB
[Today at 05:45:07 PM]

Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by Demitri_C
[Today at 05:41:09 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Smirker
[Today at 05:38:49 PM]

Arsenal 0-2 Aston Villa Post match interaction by LeeB
[Today at 05:19:25 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by LeeB
[Today at 05:11:35 PM]

Villa Park by FrankyH
[Today at 05:02:16 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Dave
[Today at 04:51:22 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: NSWE Investment by AV82EC
[Today at 06:30:06 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Risso
[Today at 06:12:51 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Ducksworthy
[Today at 06:07:01 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 06:04:11 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Drummond
[Today at 05:59:46 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by AV82EC
[Today at 05:54:49 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by chrisw1
[Today at 05:52:58 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 05:48:14 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Big Interview  (Read 18412 times)

Offline Villatillidie25

Re: The Big Interview
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2017, 10:10:13 PM »
Reads very well. Fingers crossed it all comes to fruition. The difficulty is though that it all hinges on us getting out of the league and I'm not convinced we will do that this season. if we don't, then terry, samba, jedinak, whelan, Johnstone, snodgrass, Onomah will be close to or will need replacing for age/loan reasons next season which will make it tough to mount a challenge and could leave us as the next Leeds, Forrest, Wednesday club

Offline junxs

• http://www.avfc.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2017, 10:17:39 PM »
If I say the 'L' word, does everyone promise not to immediately jump up and down? Right then:

When Lerner took over we peaked with an average attendance of just over 40,000 in 2007-08 and despite another two top six finished gates slipped from then on. I don't think, as it stands, we could make the next jump towards making a 60,000 seater or anything like that stadium viable. Realistically, it would mean getting over 50,000 at least half a dozen times a year (which we've done in the past) and over forty the rest of the time (which we never have).

The gates under Lerner were on an upward trajectory until it became apparent the ambition wasn't there.  If clubs like Man City, West Ham and Newcastle can regularly get over 50k I'm sure Villa can. 

No they weren't. They peaked in his second season and went down after that. Nobody can say that the ambition wasn't still there in 2008-09; we signed the then-England centre-forward for gawd's sake.

If that's Heskey you're talking about then thats exactly the point many Villa fans realised the downwards curve was about to start.

Heskey ffs.

Online Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2017, 10:20:12 PM »
Nobody disses Emile on my watch.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2017, 10:21:13 PM »

If that's Heskey you're talking about then thats exactly the point many Villa fans realised the downwards curve was about to start.

Heskey ffs.

We signed Luke Young as well. What more did you want?

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2017, 10:23:55 PM »
It was Marlon Harewood for me. That was the point when I thought, "hang on a minute..."

Online Billy Walker

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2017, 10:38:16 PM »
If I say the 'L' word, does everyone promise not to immediately jump up and down? Right then:

When Lerner took over we peaked with an average attendance of just over 40,000 in 2007-08 and despite another two top six finished gates slipped from then on. I don't think, as it stands, we could make the next jump towards making a 60,000 seater or anything like that stadium viable. Realistically, it would mean getting over 50,000 at least half a dozen times a year (which we've done in the past) and over forty the rest of the time (which we never have).

The gates under Lerner were on an upward trajectory until it became apparent the ambition wasn't there.  If clubs like Man City, West Ham and Newcastle can regularly get over 50k I'm sure Villa can. 

No they weren't. They peaked in his second season and went down after that. Nobody can say that the ambition wasn't still there in 2008-09; we signed the then-England centre-forward for gawd's sake.

My memory of the time was that the Barry transfer request (along with signings that weren't of perceived top four quality) started to make some people lose belief in the new regime.  Lerner simply couldn't maintain the initial positive momentum of the takeover and O'Neill appointment thus the quick upturn in attendances  melted away.  Finishing sixth on successive occasions was also greeted with a groans of failure by some of the Villa faithful - top four was what it was all about. 
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 10:44:37 PM by Billy Walker »

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2017, 10:45:39 PM »

My memory of that time was that the Barry transfer request (along with signings that weren't of perceived top four quality) started to make some people lose belief in the new regime.  Lerner simply couldn't maintain the initial positive momentum of the takeover and O'Neill appointment and the quick upturn in attendances just as quickly melted away.   

My memory is that in January 2009 we were convinced we were about to put in a proper challenge for the title and the Champions League was a formality. The crowds still went down, as they did the year after when we were still in top four contention for much of the season and still spending big money. No-one, at least on here, was talking lack of ambition then.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2017, 10:51:40 PM »
How long is Wyness visiting earth for?Villa Engine?
It might as well be Thomas the Tank engine.
We have gambled twice on 2 managers, the latest being a meat and potatos guy without any discernible style or strategy. The transfer activity follows this lack of footballing identity and we are discussing if  60,000 capacity is realistic.
We are near the bottom of the second division having having assembled an eclectic and random squad which has just been matched by a team that cost 10 quid.

Offline Zouch Villa

• GM : 12.02.2024
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2017, 11:04:09 PM »
How long is Wyness visiting earth for?Villa Engine?
It might as well be Thomas the Tank engine.
We have gambled twice on 2 managers, the latest being a meat and potatos guy without any discernible style or strategy. The transfer activity follows this lack of footballing identity and we are discussing if  60,000 capacity is realistic.
We are near the bottom of the second division having having assembled an eclectic and random squad which has just been matched by a team that cost 10 quid.

Yeah, that all reads as hot air to me.

Talk of 100 deals and 2 hrs sleep a night through the transfer window, Villa 'engine' and 'mothership' just feels like someone trying to hard to impress.  I will reserve judgement for what is achieved on the field.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2017, 11:09:04 PM »
I'll start to worry when the former commandant of the PLAMC signs up on here.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2017, 11:16:02 PM »
He seems a bit too cosy with Bruce. That he mentions we're implementing a system where we still have a consistent philosophy regardless of manager is encouraging but a bit meaningless if Steve "God forbid he leaves" Bruce stays as long as Wyness/Round.

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2017, 11:19:45 PM »

I love it when  talk of ground expansion takes place and people quote what we can't / won't achieve, I've always been uber optimistic on this one . I think there are something like 10 million people within a 1.5 hour travelling time from our stadium , and it feels like 1 million people in the West Midlands are wearing glory hunting kits that have nothing to do with our region's teams. We'll only ever know what we're capable of when we have some sustained success on the pitch. Not flirting with top six finishes- actually picking up the big prizes. No disrespect to the league cup but as much as I've loved seeing us win it it isn't a major trophy as I keep telling Bluenoses they've yet to win a major prize !
 Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal have the fan bases they have due to their sustained success from 1950 onwards , all of them winning more since then than us in our 143 year history . But despite our lack of recent success and being one of the worst teams to watch over he last five years we have a fantastic fan base to build upon.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 11:36:19 PM by brentastonb6 »

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2017, 11:27:25 PM »
I don't know about a 60,000 capacity, but there's a possibility the Premier League crowds of the future could look quite different to the crowds of today and yesterday. It might not just be home and away fans any more.

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2017, 11:30:19 PM »
I don't know about a 60,000 capacity, but there's a possibility the Premier League crowds of the future could look quite different to the crowds of today and yesterday. It might not just be home and away fans any more.

Aliens ? 😱

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2017, 11:31:18 PM »

Aliens ? 😱

Birmingham City will never get into the Premier League again.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal