collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:35:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:39 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:30:00 AM]

Re: Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by brontebilly
[Today at 12:27:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[Today at 12:00:15 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[April 16, 2024, 11:52:13 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[April 16, 2024, 11:51:11 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Pat McMahon
[April 16, 2024, 11:44:58 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Blank Press  (Read 4575 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: Blank Press
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2017, 12:30:17 PM »
Grealish on the bench ahead of Lansbury for me because I think Grealish and Hogan could work really together if the former is allowed to play high enough up the pitch.

We're probably never going to get to the situation where everyone is fully fit and available, but my concern is that we are going to have quite a few players who aren't going to be getting in the matchday squad on a regular basis.  That is OK when they are kids, but when they are established players earning decent wages, then it becomes a bit of a problem.  That squad above would leave almost a full team of Bunn, Hutton, Richards, Elphick, Elmohamady, Bjarnason, Grealish, Adomah, Agbonlahor and McCormack sitting in the stands on matchdays and that is without even counting the young players like Lyden and O'Hare.  That is far from ideal.     

Although it is not all his fault, I don't think Bruce's squad planning has been too clever since he has been here.   

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2017, 12:35:40 PM »
I genuinely don't know what team or formation he will come up with against Brentford on Saturday.  Going forward and with everyone fit, I would like to see something like:

Johnstone

Bree                    Chester             Terry              Taylor

Whelan

Onomah           Hourihane

Snodgrass                          Davis                       Kodjia

Subs: Steer, De Laet, Samba, Jedinak, Lansbury, Grealish, Green, Hogan     

That team should walk this league

Agree and the option is there when in the ascendancy or chasing the game (particularly at home) to take Whelan off and play with an extra attacking option (whether that be Snodgrass or Kodjia moving centrally and Green coming on, or Hogan or Grealish coming off the bench to partner Davis etc.). 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 01:11:57 PM by tomd2103 »

Offline boozey182

• GM : PCM
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2017, 12:45:31 PM »
Grealish on the bench ahead of Lansbury for me because I think Grealish and Hogan could work really together if the former is allowed to play high enough up the pitch.

We're probably never going to get to the situation where everyone is fully fit and available, but my concern is that we are going to have quite a few players who aren't going to be getting in the matchday squad on a regular basis.  That is OK when they are kids, but when they are established players earning decent wages, then it becomes a bit of a problem.  That squad above would leave almost a full team of Bunn, Hutton, Richards, Elphick, Elmohamady, Bjarnason, Grealish, Adomah, Agbonlahor and McCormack sitting in the stands on matchdays and that is without even counting the young players like Lyden and O'Hare.  That is far from ideal.     

Although it is not all his fault, I don't think Bruce's squad planning has been too clever since he has been here.   

Wow, when you see that 'reserve' team written down like that it makes you want to weep. I'd guess they'd be on more money than most first teams in this league; internationals, medal winners, all successful at this level or above. How we've managed to get ourselves into a situation where we have a squad like this and be 18th in the Championship is mind boggling. Surely this is the year we can start to put all this waste behind us; the only way is up. Right....?

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2017, 01:16:28 PM »

Wow, when you see that 'reserve' team written down like that it makes you want to weep. I'd guess they'd be on more money than most first teams in this league; internationals, medal winners, all successful at this level or above. How we've managed to get ourselves into a situation where we have a squad like this and be 18th in the Championship is mind boggling. Surely this is the year we can start to put all this waste behind us; the only way is up. Right....?

Particularly when you do a quick calculation of how much that little lot are costing the club each week. 

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2017, 01:25:55 PM »
Quote from: tomd2103 on Today at 11:06:06 AM

I genuinely don't know what team or formation he will come up with against Brentford on Saturday.  Going forward and with everyone fit, I would like to see something like:

Johnstone

Whelan

100% agree - no excuses from any Manager that they could not get that team winning more than not

Wow, when you see that 'reserve' team written down like that it makes you want to weep. I'd guess they'd be on more money than most first teams in this league; internationals, medal winners, all successful at this level or above. How we've managed to get ourselves into a situation where we have a squad like this and be 18th in the Championship is mind boggling

Then you look who we have as a Manager - and no its not

I really cannot figure out in any shape, way or form that apart from Hutton why he changed the team that played so well against Norwich

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2017, 01:32:22 PM »
Agree 100% Hookey.

Not sure about 12 points, Dave. I'm looking for 16 from 18 and a cup win bonus. Bruce couldn't ask for kinder fixtures this month. October will be way tougher but hopefully by then confidence will be flying.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2017, 03:01:50 PM »
'There’s not been anywhere near as much spent, with reports that Villa are worried about the implications of breaching FFP regulations. If that’s true then they should be congratulated, because they seem to be the only club in the world so concerned'  - Timely, it appears UEFA are not investigating Man City despite the Spanish League requesting them to do so http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41146009

Online The Edge

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2017, 03:45:53 PM »
'There’s not been anywhere near as much spent, with reports that Villa are worried about the implications of breaching FFP regulations. If that’s true then they should be congratulated, because they seem to be the only club in the world so concerned'  - Timely, it appears UEFA are not investigating Man City despite the Spanish League requesting them to do so http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41146009
Yeah I'm convinced it's a red herring all this talk of ffp. As previously stated we seem to be the only club in the world who are concerned about it.

Online The Edge

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2017, 03:51:56 PM »
Quote from: tomd2103 on Today at 11:06:06 AM

Johnstone

Whelan

100% agree - no excuses from any Manager that they could not get that team winning more than not

Wow, when you see that 'reserve' team written down like that it makes you want to weep. I'd guess they'd be on more money than most first teams in this league; internationals, medal winners, all successful at this level or above. How we've managed to get ourselves into a situation where we have a squad like this and be 18th in the Championship is mind boggling

Then you look who we have as a Manager - and no its not

I really cannot figure out in any shape, way or form that apart from Hutton why he changed the team that played so well against Norwich
Yep it was all said after the Bristol game. Why on earth tinker with the team that a few days earlier had twatted Norwich? In his post match summary Bruce said "we thought we'd try something different and go with a back 3 to include Samba. When we could see it wasn't working we reverted back to the way we set up against Norwich" I was yelling at the screen for the commentator or Lee Hendrie to pose the obvious fucking question "so Steve, why did you think it was a good idea to change everything after the success against Norwich?"

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2017, 03:58:18 PM »
Yeah I'm convinced it's a red herring all this talk of ffp. As previously stated we seem to be the only club in the world who are concerned about it.

Or we're the only club that is in danger of not meeting the rules but is big enough to be targeted.

There are plenty of other teams out there that will flout them but they have the spending power to buy themselves out of anything and because of where they sit in the grand scheme of things will be left well alone.

We're an easy club to target because of the stature, the following and the perception that would then follow that UEFA/FIFA/The FA are doing more than F-A about it.

Online The Edge

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2017, 03:35:47 PM »

Or we're the only club that is in danger of not meeting the rules but is big enough to be targeted.

There are plenty of other teams out there that will flout them but they have the spending power to buy themselves out of anything and because of where they sit in the grand scheme of things will be left well alone.

We're an easy club to target because of the stature, the following and the perception that would then follow that UEFA/FIFA/The FA rare doing more than F-A about it.
Yeah fair point. I see that they have shyed away from investigating Man City probably for the reasons you mention. It seems "fair play"  is a complete misnomer as there's  very little "fairness" involved.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 03:37:27 PM by The Edge »

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2017, 08:49:04 PM »
It's worth bearing in mind that (I think) the championship has its own FFP regime in addition to UEFA's.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal