collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Recent Posts

Re: John McGinn - signed by Brassneck
[Today at 10:35:00 AM]

Re: John McGinn - signed by dave.woodhall
[Today at 09:41:47 AM]

Re: John McGinn - signed by West Derby Villan
[Today at 09:31:45 AM]

Re: John McGinn - signed by dave shelley
[Today at 09:27:41 AM]

Re: I know none of you care but ........ (the Baseball thread) by UK Redsox
[Today at 08:22:59 AM]

Re: Jack Grealish by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:29:51 AM]

Re: Jack Grealish by SoccerHQ
[Today at 12:05:25 AM]

Re: John McGinn - signed by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 12:03:33 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Football  (Read 40947 times)

Offline ChicagoLion

Re: International Football
« Reply #375 on: October 12, 2019, 12:32:47 PM »
Shame, he seems to have fallen for the same old crap previous England managers have in that reputation is everything.
Yeh, agree.
Itís like the tabloid press picking the team again.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 09.02.2020
« Reply #376 on: October 12, 2019, 12:48:39 PM »
I think itís one bad game and we shouldnít overreact. Overall heís done a very good job and heís shown reputation isnít everything.

That said I find it slightly odd that players like Tyrone not getting any minutes. I get that he wants caps to mean something, but you kind of run the risk of players just not feeling truly part of the set up.

Online cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
    • Every time you click this link, a child in Africa dies.
  • GM : 17.01.2020
« Reply #377 on: October 12, 2019, 01:41:53 PM »
I think Mings might have got a game if England had been defending a lead. It's rare to see central defenders bought on otherwise, barring injuries or red cards.

Maybe he'll get a go against Bulgaria.

Online cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
    • Every time you click this link, a child in Africa dies.
  • GM : 17.01.2020
« Reply #378 on: October 12, 2019, 01:43:53 PM »
And well done to Andorra on their first ever European Championship Qualifying win.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #379 on: October 12, 2019, 06:57:26 PM »
Georgia 0 Republic Of Ireland 0. Shit game and I lost money on it.

Denmark 1 Switzerland 0. Shit game and I lost money on it.

Norway v Spain - Report to follow. (I suspect my report will just say "see above")

Offline Mossie Hennebry

« Reply #380 on: October 12, 2019, 07:11:15 PM »
Shame, he seems to have fallen for the same old crap previous England managers have in that reputation is everything.

Not so sure thatís the reason. For instance he played Sancho and Mount last night based on their performances this season but they didnít contribute. It was just a poor performance all round.

Grealish is the missing ingredient for England - They need his guile.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #381 on: October 12, 2019, 07:21:07 PM »
I genuinely think Grealish could do a job at international level. One player in the England side who gets a lot of stick who I would defend is Henderson. He does the Des Bremner/Kevin Richardson/Stilian Petrov donkey work/water carrier job that players often don't get enough credit for. If Liverpool ever wanted to throw him Villa's way I would welcome him with open arms.

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 02.05.2019
« Reply #382 on: October 12, 2019, 07:27:52 PM »

Norway v Spain - Report to follow. (I suspect my report will just say "see above")
What did you get on for the Denmark game Damo? Just been informed by the commentary team that that's 22 qualifying games at home without defeat.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #383 on: October 12, 2019, 07:43:12 PM »

What did you get on for the Denmark game Damo? Just been informed by the commentary team that that's 22 qualifying games at home without defeat.

I had Denmark to win 3-1 at odds of 18/1.

If I heard correctly in the build up to Norway v Spain apparently Norway haven't lost at home for three years.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #384 on: October 12, 2019, 09:39:17 PM »
Norway 1 Spain 1 and Norway keep up their impressive unbeaten home record with a 94th minute penalty equaliser.

I had Spain to win 2-1.

It was a slightly better game than the ones earlier today but hardly a classic.

Offline ChicagoLion

« Reply #385 on: October 12, 2019, 10:49:16 PM »
I genuinely think Grealish could do a job at international level. One player in the England side who gets a lot of stick who I would defend is Henderson. He does the Des Bremner/Kevin Richardson/Stilian Petrov donkey work/water carrier job that players often don't get enough credit for. If Liverpool ever wanted to throw him Villa's way I would welcome him with open arms.
He was also very good at passing to the opposition last night.

Offline vilan461

« Reply #386 on: October 12, 2019, 11:04:29 PM »

Not so sure thatís the reason. For instance he played Sancho and Mount last night based on their performances this season but they didnít contribute. It was just a poor performance all round.

Grealish is the missing ingredient for England - They need his guile.
Fully agree for the 3 Lions Jack would be like the artful dodger -expert at  unlocking defences!-although i dont think Southgate rates him that much and thats a shame.

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #387 on: October 12, 2019, 11:40:13 PM »
Southgate has made some brave decisions but his logical thinking seems to go astray.Kyle Walker has some fine attributes but  poor positional sense and lack of awareness of danger made him a serious liability in a back 3 in the WC.
Now after a disorganised display in midfield and defence,instead of looking at his defenders and the make up of his midfield,he is publicly touting a return to a back 3. Wing backs are ideal if the team is weak in wide areas but England have some excellent young pacy wide attackers,so what benefit will these wing backs bring ?
In fact it will create the problem of a continuing reliance on athletic midfielders in a central role rather than relying on abilty.
As I have mentioned before,Southgate prizes possession and passing ability in central defence but not in the more important area of midfield.Illogical.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 01.02.2020
« Reply #388 on: October 13, 2019, 09:07:34 PM »

Jesus! I'm glad you're not in charge of player recruitment!

In 1,000 years time philosophers will still be trying to work out how Jordan Henderson become captain of Liverpool.

Offline Risso

• GM : 13.02.2020
« Reply #389 on: October 13, 2019, 10:20:36 PM »

Jesus! I'm glad you're not in charge of player recruitment!

In 1,000 years time philosophers will still be trying to work out how Jordan Henderson become captain of Liverpool.

He played nearly all the matches for the team who pushed Man City all the way for the League title last year, and who won the Champions League; and who are running away with the league this year.  You don't get to do that for a manager like Klopp if you're not a very good footballer.