collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by aj2k77
[Today at 10:21:35 PM]

Re: FFP by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:11:07 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:07:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Domestic & European Rugby 2017-18  (Read 25602 times)

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
Re: Domestic & European Rugby 2017-18
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2017, 11:04:04 PM »
Worcester gave a lot in today's defeat to Wasps. Tighthead with a broken ankle, icepacks everywhere, and not even a losing BP to show for it. By the time they play a winnable game they could be a dozen points adrift.

Game was lost with the replacements, Heathcote was ok if not high quality at 10 but when brought on Olver all control was lost & his kicking was Bosnich standard.  Change in hooker & O'Callaghan at lock meant line out was gone also.

Need to find a quality 10 quick as we can't rely on Houggard showing up and saving the team 3 years running

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2017, 07:51:25 PM »
Great start from Collins again, looks so dangerous.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2017, 09:43:02 PM »
Great win for Saints tonight, backs looked superb, back row and locks were excellent.  Burrells best game for about 3 years.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2017, 11:52:52 PM »
Suprisingly the BTSport cameras were not at Regentsholme tonight for Lydney 2nds v Newent 2nds.

An entertaining 39-14 win for Lyd.

However the fact that our second team was playing Newent 2nds just shows how far we've fallen.

I've played for Lydney 3rds against Newent's first team

Offline paul_e

« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2017, 06:07:04 PM »
Tigers gave Glaws a bit of a kicking, mainly because of some awful basic errors, Ackerman will have been massively frustrated watching it.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2017, 07:00:38 PM »
Watched Lyd 1sts today against Ivybridge in the South West Premier.

Lost 10-19 but that score flattered us, with a converted try coming in the last couple of minutes when Ivybridge were down to 14.

This is the lowest we've been since the leagues started and I can see us dropping another level this season.

The worst Lydney side of my lifetime.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2017, 05:17:12 PM »
Next game sees Quins vs Irish with 18 year old Marcus Smith starting at 10 for Quins, he's supposed to be a massive talent for the next few years but he's apparently had a stunning pre-season and has forced his way into the team, Eddie Jones has already been praising him as well.

Named MOM in an impressive Quinns win away at wasps.  I didn't notice his passing or breaks much but his kicking from hand was immaculate.  He looks like an 18 year too.  Incredible that he could not be physically intimidated.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2017, 09:04:09 PM »
Just what's was the Marler Haskell incident all about?

Offline paul_e

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2017, 09:42:31 AM »
Next game sees Quins vs Irish with 18 year old Marcus Smith starting at 10 for Quins, he's supposed to be a massive talent for the next few years but he's apparently had a stunning pre-season and has forced his way into the team, Eddie Jones has already been praising him as well.

Named MOM in an impressive Quinns win away at wasps.  I didn't notice his passing or breaks much but his kicking from hand was immaculate.  He looks like an 18 year too.  Incredible that he could not be physically intimidated.

His kicking and passing are fine but he's earned his reputation on his running game so I'd expect to start seeing more and more of that from him.  I didn't see the game yesterday though so I'll try to catch the highlights later.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2017, 09:44:16 AM »
Great win for Saints tonight, backs looked superb, back row and locks were excellent.  Burrells best game for about 3 years.

I was at that, was a very good performance.  The Saints ground is very nice as well.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2017, 09:46:18 AM »

I was at that, was a very good performance.  The Saints ground is very nice as well.

Yeah, it's a great little ground, I used to live just round the corner from it.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2017, 12:05:15 PM »

The fans' village is great.  Real ale, decent grub, nice.  Although the Saints plastic pint glass I had came emblazoned with, and I shit you not:

"Proud History, Bright Future!"

Even the egg chasing is trolling me now.

Offline Dante Lavelli

« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2017, 01:05:54 PM »

I think Villa could learn something from the Saints here.  The matchday experience takes in much more than the game itself.  We always get the to the Saints ground (or the Stoop for that matter) in advance of the match whereas villa park is often a mad rush taxi from town at 20 minutes to kick off.  Decent food and beer in the holte carpark stikes me a missed opportunity. 

Offline paul_e

« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2017, 02:08:29 PM »

I think Villa could learn something from the Saints here.  The matchday experience takes in much more than the game itself.  We always get the to the Saints ground (or the Stoop for that matter) in advance of the match whereas villa park is often a mad rush taxi from town at 20 minutes to kick off.  Decent food and beer in the holte carpark stikes me a missed opportunity. 

The size of the ground plays a part there though.  On top of that I'd guess there's a difference between the average rugby fan and the average football fan.  On a forum like this one you'll find, mostly, people who would like the sort of stuff that they do at rugby grounds (ales, decent street food vendors, a few little rugby games/exhibitions) but how would that translate to a broader section of the support? 

Offline Dante Lavelli

« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2017, 01:24:14 PM »

The size of the ground plays a part there though.  On top of that I'd guess there's a difference between the average rugby fan and the average football fan.  On a forum like this one you'll find, mostly, people who would like the sort of stuff that they do at rugby grounds (ales, decent street food vendors, a few little rugby games/exhibitions) but how would that translate to a broader section of the support? 

I'd like to argue otherwise but you're probably right.  It's a shame that football fans are not encouraged to mix as I think the actual separation leads to the posturing and mob mentality.  Kebab van syndrome.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal