collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Domestic & European Rugby 2017-18  (Read 25839 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Domestic & European Rugby 2017-18
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2017, 01:29:14 PM »
Football crowds are definitely a lot more tribal than you see in Rugby Union or Cricket.  Rugby League crowds are closer to football though, there could be some observations about social classes here I guess, not relevant now but the culture is embedded and 50-60 years ago there was a very clear divide between people who liked cricket and union and people who liked football and league.  Why that translates to tirbal/mob behaviour is more complicated though.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2017, 01:53:15 PM »
Football crowds are definitely a lot more tribal than you see in Rugby Union or Cricket.  Rugby League crowds are closer to football though, there could be some observations about social classes here I guess, not relevant now but the culture is embedded and 50-60 years ago there was a very clear divide between people who liked cricket and union and people who liked football and league.  Why that translates to tirbal/mob behaviour is more complicated though.

Yes, I went to a few Wigan RL games, and the rivalry between them and St Helens was pretty intense.  Definitely no love lost there.

Online paul_e

« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2017, 02:31:28 PM »

Yes, I went to a few Wigan RL games, and the rivalry between them and St Helens was pretty intense.  Definitely no love lost there.

I've been to a couple of games, Wakefield vs Castleford and Salford vs Hull, a rivalry in the first makes sense but the 2nd really shouldn't but it felt like a villa-baggies game.  The first was an eye-opener, they really hated each other, I can best describe that it's how I imagine the rangers-celtic derby feels as a neutral, like everyone is watching and waiting to see if you side with one or the other so they've got a excuse to beat the crap out you.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2017, 06:41:12 PM »

I've been to a couple of games, Wakefield vs Castleford and Salford vs Hull, a rivalry in the first makes sense but the 2nd really shouldn't but it felt like a villa-baggies game.  The first was an eye-opener, they really hated each other, I can best describe that it's how I imagine the rangers-celtic derby feels as a neutral, like everyone is watching and waiting to see if you side with one or the other so they've got a excuse to beat the crap out you.

That's the thing with Rugby League, because it's traditionally a northern, very working class game, centred around 3 or 4 counties that are quite close to each other, there are no end of rivalries.  You get the intense local games like the aforementioned Wigan v St Helens, and Wakefield v Cas, but then anything that involves Lancashire v Yorkshire can be tasty as well

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2017, 05:51:38 PM »
That was some try that Trinder created at the weekend.

Online paul_e

« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2017, 07:35:13 PM »

Brilliant wasn't it, pretty much his first touch after coming on as a sub as well.  If he could stay fit I still think he's potentially the best outside centre in the country, he makes everything look so easy.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2017, 05:12:25 PM »

Brilliant wasn't it, pretty much his first touch after coming on as a sub as well.  If he could stay fit I still think he's potentially the best outside centre in the country, he makes everything look so easy.

Keeping the bugger fit would be good news all round.

Online paul_e

« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2017, 11:28:23 PM »

Keeping the bugger fit would be good news all round.

Yep, he's very frustrating.  I saw him play when he was about 15 and the next day I told a bunch of people that he was going to be a star and get 50+ caps for England at outside centre.  Over the last few years I've had most of those people tell me that they can see why I was so impressed but almost inevitably he's then got himself injured and out for another few months.  I really hope, for him, the club and for England, that he can get over that be become the player he promised to be.

Just for fun I searched for Trinder on this site and I reckon I've pushed him for England selection 4 times in the last 5 1/2 years, starting from:

I prefer Trinder at 13, I think he'll be fantastic in a couple of years, reminds me of Greenwood.

I stand by that comparison, he's got great soft hands, is quicker and stronger than he looks and has got a great brain on him.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2017, 06:11:53 PM »
The Trinder injury issues are a sod. Glawster have a real star and game changer on their hands if we can just get some consecutive games out of him.

Online ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2017, 09:40:51 PM »
Castleford appear to have gone to pieces in the Rugby League semifinal. St Helens have scored 3 tries in about 8 minutes.

Online ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2017, 09:44:44 PM »
22-22 in the dying seconds.

Hoping Castleford win as they topped the league by a country mile and have never appeared in a Grand Final.

Online paul_e

« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2017, 09:19:34 PM »
Newcastle giving Irish a bit of a kicking tonight, they look like a dark horse for the top4 for me, very well organised and have a few very dangerous backs.

Irish are a strange side, they have some real quality in the team but they just can't string it together to create tries.

Online paul_e

« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2017, 09:21:12 PM »
Just seen the other scores, Sale have demolished Glaws, bit of a shock that one.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2017, 09:29:31 PM »
Looks like the two Irish v Worcester games willl be major factors in who goes down already.  Can't see anyone else being in the shake up. 

Online paul_e

« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2017, 09:37:24 PM »
Looks like the two Irish v Worcester games willl be major factors in who goes down already.  Can't see anyone else being in the shake up. 

I agree and from what I've seen I suspect Irish will get the better of them.  Irish have snuck a win already and I think they might get couple more during the international windows because they have some very dangerous ball carriers (Lewington won't be there next season and I suspect he'll make the England squad before long and they have Cokanasiga to come back and he's an absolute monster).  I honestly don't see Worcester winning a game this year, they look a long way short of the quality needed for this league.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal