collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Robert Snodgrass - loaned for 17-18 season  (Read 133174 times)

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
Re: Robert Snodgrass - Signed (on loan)
« Reply #525 on: January 30, 2018, 11:44:23 PM »
I can’t think the last player we had who took a better set piece?

Ashley Westwood? 😂

Ah Mr Floaty Corner. Does he ever play for Burnley?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #526 on: January 30, 2018, 11:53:13 PM »

Ashley Westwood? 😂

Was in London today with a business partner who is a big Burnley fan. Doesn’t rate Westwood at all and thinks they were robbed.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #527 on: January 30, 2018, 11:59:41 PM »
He barely plays for them.

Lowton on the other hand in a more defensive system and patience has started to look a pretty decent full back for them although he's not in the team atm.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #528 on: January 31, 2018, 12:04:54 AM »

Ashley Westwood? 😂

Was in London today with a business partner who is a big Burnley fan. Doesn’t rate Westwood at all and thinks they were robbed.

When I look back at great pieces of business by the club specific to selling players, the money we got for Downing and Westwood will always be highly ranked in my book. Such a vanilla player who does literally nothing of note every game.

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
« Reply #529 on: January 31, 2018, 12:06:55 AM »
There is a buy clause for £5 million I am pretty sure. It was reported in the press this week in a few places. If he relied on pace I would say nah, too old. But he doesn't at all, and there are plenty of 32-33 year olds doing very well in the premier league. For 2 seasons I think he would be one of those that would score 4-5 winners over a season and pull in 12-15 points on his own. That is before his assists, work rate and attitude are taken into account. Signing him will be the second easiest decision Bruce has to make after going up. Signing Johnstone will be the

Unfortunately the better Johnstone performs for us the less likely I fear that Man Utd will be to release him,especially with the annual De Gea returning to Spain issue and Johnstone being 10 years his junior.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #530 on: January 31, 2018, 12:11:32 AM »
There is a buy clause for £5 million I am pretty sure. It was reported in the press this week in a few places. If he relied on pace I would say nah, too old. But he doesn't at all, and there are plenty of 32-33 year olds doing very well in the premier league. For 2 seasons I think he would be one of those that would score 4-5 winners over a season and pull in 12-15 points on his own. That is before his assists, work rate and attitude are taken into account. Signing him will be the second easiest decision Bruce has to make after going up. Signing Johnstone will be the easiest.

£5m is about as much as i'd be comfortable with us spending on him.  A big part of the reason why we have FFP problems and why we were spending 15-20m a season and going backwards is that far too many players were leaving us for nothing after a big fee and big wages.

I'm still not as convinced by Johnstone as most.  He's a very good shot stopper but he's not commanding enough and his distribution is poor.  If it was a free again he'd be worth picking up and then if we have to replace him after 6 months we've got a solid backup that hasn't cost us much.  I'm not sure you can turn your back on a £5m player who's been a key part of promotion so quickly.

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #531 on: January 31, 2018, 12:16:25 AM »
Snodgrass’ talent, experience, leadership, determination and attitude will be absolutely invaluable in the PL. Worth every penny if it is £5m given the stupid fees being paid today.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #532 on: January 31, 2018, 12:21:28 AM »
There is a buy clause for £5 million I am pretty sure. It was reported in the press this week in a few places. If he relied on pace I would say nah, too old. But he doesn't at all, and there are plenty of 32-33 year olds doing very well in the premier league. For 2 seasons I think he would be one of those that would score 4-5 winners over a season and pull in 12-15 points on his own. That is before his assists, work rate and attitude are taken into account. Signing him will be the second easiest decision Bruce has to make after going up. Signing Johnstone will be the

Unfortunately the better Johnstone performs for us the less likely I fear that Man Utd will be to release him,especially with the annual De Gea returning to Spain issue and Johnstone being 10 years his junior.

Man. United have Romero and also a younger Portugese keeper called Periera who Mourinho rates highly.

They'd likely go and sign an elite keeper if De Gea left.

Sam isn't getting a sniff there realistically.

Proved me wrong, he didn't impress me hugely in his loan last year so I wasn't that convinced by him coming back but he's been excellent and a real difference maker in games.

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #533 on: January 31, 2018, 12:23:09 AM »
Right now he’s reminding me of a young Joe Hart.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #534 on: January 31, 2018, 12:26:26 AM »

Me too, that's why I'm a bit nervous about being too gushing about him because he has the same weaknesses that Hart has never managed to fix.

I'm probably coming across as overly negative about him here, I think he's a great shot stopper and has been essential to our form recently, but I also think he's made silly mistakes at times and that those would be targeted by better teams.

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #535 on: January 31, 2018, 12:29:40 AM »

Me too, that's why I'm a bit nervous about being too gushing about him because he has the same weaknesses that Hart has never managed to fix.

I'm probably coming across as overly negative about him here, I think he's a great shot stopper and has been essential to our form recently, but I also think he's made silly mistakes at times and that those would be targeted by better teams.

He’s very young and goalkeepers don’t mature until their late 20’s. So he’s going to get better if he keeps working at his game. And I would argue he’s done just that and cut down on a lot of the mistakes we saw last year. For the most part he’s been very solid this season.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #536 on: January 31, 2018, 12:29:49 AM »
He's an obvious one to sign up if we go up.

Knows the club and team mates, young so can improve further and I honestly don't think he'd cost the earth.

Add an experienced premier league number 2 to take over if he finds week in week out premier league difficult and that should be our keeper department properly sorted.

Offline Dougs Socks

« Reply #537 on: January 31, 2018, 01:23:07 AM »
I like him. Hes a proper pro, watch how when under pressure, how he buys a free kick to relieve it. Not divng, but putting his body in position where a free kick is the likely outcome.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #538 on: January 31, 2018, 10:52:57 AM »
His winner last night was made all the more impressive by the fact that he'd taken a kick/knock 10 mins earlier, stayed down for a while (despite not getting a deserved free kick) and I thought then his night was over.

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
« Reply #539 on: January 31, 2018, 10:59:41 AM »
My first thought when I see him is always that, if I was playing against him, he would be one of those players who I would think, 'I'd rather he was on our team'. He holds the ball so well, rarely gives it away, has good delivery and is solid in everything. He's a good player.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal